Thank you for all the Pep Files, you guys rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberPaddy66

Jr Member
While I'm not really a big fan of Halo your costumes are really inspiring and the Pep Files you've all made available to us mere mortals is truly wonderful, I'm currently working on an Iron Man MKIII suit for myself and then I think I'll have to do a Storm Trooper suit and probably then a Predator suit so it's all go here :D

Anyway here's my first Pep build...

S5000002Medium.jpg

I have had plenty of re-enactment costuming experiance and even appeared as part of the crowd scene in an episode of Red Dwarf (S07E02) so I should be able to bring some metal working experiance to this community especially in metal forming and chainmail, here's a picture of me in my fighting gear...

2007MCSHornFayrebyHelenIves33-2.jpg

Anyway I hope to make myself useful and I really hope I don't pester you too much with all my questions, don't worry too much though I do know how the search feature works ;) If anyone in the UK wants to see my re-enactment gear in real life then feel free to drop me a PM and maybe arrange a visit, I warn you though I live in the furthest South West bit of the UK so you'll be looking forward to a LONG drive :p

Dude, you where in Red Dwarf! you are now a god. The best damn show ever. "Stoke Me A Clipper" episode, right?

Anyways, the iron man pep looks good, did you use tape on it?

The Mid Evil armor looks good as well did you make that too?

Welcome. That armor looks awesome. how long have you been working with metal?

I have been bending metal ever since I left school but the armour stuff was only in the last 22 years :D

Dude, you where in Red Dwarf! you are now a god. The best damn show ever. "Stoke Me A Clipper" episode, right?

Spot on, if you look at the scene where the crowd part and Lister walks through with the Lady in hand I'm the tall guy to the right in Green with the hair down to his belt, admitedly that was a few years ago now and my hair is a LOT shorter, in fact I use a no.2 clipper these days ;)

Anyways, the iron man pep looks good, did you use tape on it?

Just to hold the face plate to the rest of the helmet, the Pep was put together with PVA which is kind of like wood glue but a lot cheaper as it's unbranded.

The Mid Evil armor looks good as well did you make that too?

Yep, I made everything apart from the sword (that's a skilled trade I don't dare touch!) even the chainmail gloves were assembled by my own hands from 6mm Spring Washers.

Welcome to the 405th. That is an excellent way to start out. The modelers around here really do make everything we do possible, at least those of us who must start with pap and lack the faculties to sculpt.

welcome to 405th
nice to see a fellow english prop builder .
ZZOMG YOU WERE RED DWARF OMFG MY FAV SHOW ,did you get to meet the cast?

ZZOMG YOU WERE RED DWARF OMFG MY FAV SHOW ,did you get to meet the cast?

LOL actually I did, I met Craig Charles in a strip club in Vauxhall two days after he was released during that whole rape scandle thing and I met him again with Bob (robert llewellyn) while they were cooling off in the trailer during the show filming, they are really nice people if you ignore that whole star persona you see on the TV :D

No pictures yet but I've completed the Faceplate, Chin section and most of the base of the skull sections of the Sharkhead IM MKIII helmet. As soon as I get the camera working again I'll upload a photo or two of my progress :D

LOL actually I did, I met Craig Charles in a strip club in Vauxhall two days after he was released during that whole rape scandle thing and I met him again with Bob (robert llewellyn) while they were cooling off in the trailer during the show filming, they are really nice people if you ignore that whole star persona you see on the TV :D

Good to have you on the boards Cyberpaddy.
I would be interested in learning your chainmail techniques.

Craig is a great lad, I lived down the road from him for a while (yeh! I'm Scouse), but didnt know him then because he was my brothers age and they didnt hang with "little kids" lol
but I did have a coffee with him at Alexi Sayles mums house once in the lates 80's just after Red dwarf started, with him and Alexi.

Shame I don't live in the UK anymore, otherwise I would have been keen to see your armour.

I do also have to thank you guys for this forum. Not only is this website an amazing Halo cosplay forum, but also a great place to share all projects. I know of no other websites like this and that is why I am here.

@Cyberpaddy66: I am also a reenactor of english warfare, just a different era. I'll post a pic of me reenacting

I would be interested in learning your chainmail techniques.

It's a really simple 4 into 1 deal, I close up about half the rings and dump them into a box then I open up a ring and drop two closed rings onto that... make a long chain like that and then I start folding the chain in half and joining the adjasent links together (tricky but easily doable with two pairs of long nose mole grips). When that bit is done I start again and when I have two pieces the same I join them by the same method... repeat ad nausium LOL

I'll try to do a quick video when my camera's working again ;)

but I did have a coffee with him at Alexi Sayles mums house once in the lates 80's just after Red dwarf started, with him and Alexi.

Now I'm the jealous one :D

Shame I don't live in the UK anymore, otherwise I would have been keen to see your armour.

Next time your visiting our little corner of the world let me know and you can even try some of it on if you like, I promise not to hit you too hard ;)

@Cyberpaddy66: I am also a reenactor of english warfare, just a different era. I'll post a pic of me reenacting

Please do, it's nice to see what's happening in the 'real' world ;)

OK peeps I have a bit of a chaotic update for you all...

WIP PICTURES...

S5000002Medium.jpg

That's the first helmet I pepped and I didn't like the contours which will need a lot more filler so I decided to make a different one...

DSCF5045Medium.jpg

DSCF5043Medium.jpg

I much prefer the shape of that helmet and please don't mind about the tape it's just to seal it so I can get on with the next step and strengthen it with PVA which I will try out opn the first helmet I made... I'll let you know how that goes next time!

I decided to continue with that build set and I'll pep up as much as I can before I so anything else so the neck is next...

DSCF5047Medium.jpg

DSCF5049Medium.jpg

DSCF5050Medium.jpg

I even put the left glove together but I still have the right glove to do yet but I've already printed out the Pep files for that one...

DSCF5041Medium.jpg

DSCF5052Medium.jpg

DSCF5055Medium.jpg

PEPKURA FILES...

Well that's all the Pep's I've built for now but I did notice the Pep set I'm using is missing some very important files so I had to have a go at unfolding them myself using Dancing Fools Pep files as a basis, could anyone who has used the designer before PLEASE let me know how well my unfolds have turned out?

http://www.4shared.com/file/2SEFp4Z7/IronMan_Spine_by_Dancing_Fool_.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/giOaLoCH/IronMan_SideAbs_Flipped_by_Dan.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/xp-MgWL5/IronMan_SideAbs_by_Dancing_Foo.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/4Qjq9gqN/IronMan_Front_Abs_by_Dancing_F.html

I really hope I did the Side Abs right but until I build them I'm not going to know for sure if I flipped the 2nd side correctly :p

I should point out I'm not sure of the scaling of those Pep files as I had to guess where they would fit on my 6'1" frame so you will probably have to re-scale them to fit, if anyone knows what size they should be I can re-do them and post the new links :D

OK, just a quick update as I've only pepped a few bits since the last time namely a single elbow, a pair of upper forearms and a pair of biceps...

DSCF5057Medium.jpg

Also I thought you might like to see some more pics of my medieval armour (warning it's rusty as hell)...

DSCF5059Medium.jpg

DSCF5060Medium.jpg

I'm hopeing some of what I know about the joints of my metal armour will help me with the joints on the IM costume, at the very least it should give me something to work on while I save the money for the interior foam filler and car body filler.

Update time again peeps :D

I've now got the completed peps of the Helmet, Neck, Shoulder, both Biceps, Elbow, Hands (both) with two sets of fingers (worked out after making them I only needed one set DOH!).

Here's the finished shoulder build...

DSCF5079Medium.jpg

DSCF5078Medium.jpg

DSCF5082Medium.jpg

I've also made up the front abs (not pictured) from the PDO's I unfolded but there's a slim chance it might only fit a child and I won't know for sure until I've done both the sides as well as the crotch sections and chest :( and all of this dispite running out of work space...

DSCF5083Medium.jpg

DSCF5084Medium.jpg

You can't see it but to the left of the screen is where I have my left hand plates and elbow peps stored, I'm so in need of a full size mannequin so might have to put the build on hold until I get one made up, does anyone have a preferred method for full body casting without any casting materials or gaffa/duct tape?

You can't see it but to the left of the screen is where I have my left hand plates and elbow peps stored, I'm so in need of a full size mannequin so might have to put the build on hold until I get one made up, does anyone have a preferred method for full body casting without any casting materials or gaffa/duct tape?

There's a guide somewhere around here that shows how you can build a duct tape dummy. Basically, you get one of those 1 piece splash coveralls, have a friend of yours wrap you up in duct tape, pay him $100 to cut you out the suit (if he's feeling evil), then fill it with newspaper and tape it back up.

No pictures for my update as I'm struggling to get the rechargable batteries to last long enough to take any (*grrr*) but I thought I'd let you know anyway what's happened. Pepped up the Dung0Beetle universal Forearm but due to a scaling issue as in I didn't change the scale I ended up with a forearm twice the size I needed so after re-scaling it properly for the first time since I started this build I've now finished pepping the whole arm from finger tips to neck.

Completed Peps so far...
Sharkhead's Helmet
Dancing Fool's MK III Neck
Dancing Fool's MK III Shoulders
Dancing Fool's MK III Bicep
Dancing Fool's MK III Elbow
Dung0Beetle's MK III Upper Forearm
Dung0Beetle's MK III Forearm Weapon Pod
Dung0Beetle's MK III Wrist Plate
MK IV Hand and Fingers of Unknown Origin but probably either Robo or Dancing Fool

Also done but the wrong size so have to re-size and do again...
Dancing Fool's Front Abs

Well that's it so far and I haven't strengthened or filled a single piece yet but I did find that undiluted PVA is great for sticking the Peps together as you have enough time to get it accurate and you can't get your fingers stuck together :lol

Still no pictures but I have finished pepping the Chest and Back tonight, now fingers crossed I scaled the Abs correctly this time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back