Evilpenguin's grav hammer build (updated 20th may 2011, pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i decided i wanted to make something funky after getting recently addicted to playing grifball, and thought a grav hammer would do the trick nicely. I found here after random trawling of teh interwebs and thought why not give it a go, found some pepakura files to start as templates. well.... that didn't work. so I gave in and decided i needed to design my own. I have settled on a Halo3 hammer as i prefer it to the Reach version (both look cool, just figure i can build a more accurate H3 version)

After the obligatory trawling for every grav hammer pic I could find from every concieveable angle, I started with some rough drawings for measurements and scaling. A friend is currently at university doing computer game design and I have seen him using a load of 3d modelling programs, so thought I would have a go with varying results. not a fan of autocad, but google sketchup seems simple enough to use and has actually had some pretty reasonable results.

After acquiring some 6mm mdf i marked out the basic design for the hammer sides, and have gone from there, also marking and cutting the first detail piece for the back blade out of some 3mm mdf. i plan to use 9mm as the main structure with these thinner bits for the detailing

20110301_001.jpg

first draft of the side panel

20110302_001.jpg

trimmed to size, 225mm by 450mm

20110302_002.jpg

scale of it by the kettle. ignore the evil tea cosy, i have had to requisition someone else's house to make it as they have a driveway and shed while i live in the town center in a second floor flat, and the mrs would kill me for jigsawing mdf in the living room...

20110302_004.jpg

first set cut out and placed on the other piece to get an idea of how it will look when stuck in relief (again, don't look at me for the evil stickers on the wheelie bin. not mine, looted house :p)

20110302_005.jpg

and finaly the first blade detail piece, approximately 850mm long

still need to sand off the edges and make sure they are all good to use, so far just jigsawed up the main parts while waiting for the main sheet of 9mm mdf to arrive.

i intend to make the main handle out of various diameter plumbing pipes etc when i get to that stage

any tips would be appreciated, any criticisms i reckon i'll get anyway so can't really ask for none lol and now to see how this goes for the next stage

oh also am contemplating wiring it for sound, lights and smoke. opinions?

also forgot to add this pic in, not bad for my first attempt at using 3d modelling

hammerhead.png

originally i thought i'd google for a 3d resin printing service, but after the cheapest of 8 quotes being £1700 i gave up on that. i also looked at getting someone to cnc cut it for me, but again at £45 per side of the hammer i decided to just get the jigsaw out and go for it. my friends and family were very supportive, immediately putting bets on how many fingers i would end up with afterwards, with one friend betting 12. this was made worse by my other half saying that the guy who said that was mean cos there was no way i'd chop off 3 fingers to get down to 12. gee thanks,,,

honestly just googled it amd emailed about 15 different places, even tried the local uni as they have a laser curring system that the department can hie out (worked out about 60 per side)

i figured for the price i could buy my own bank of tools, as it turns out found out through family and friends i have got access to varyign drills and jigsaws, a belt sander, a vertican sander thing, table saw, circular saw, one of those bench mounted circular saws and a router. i'd picked up a 200w palm sander for £16 in a sale as i do a lot of different modelling stuff in smaller scale and thought it could help

Looking good! If you want some referenced, check out dogwizards thread in the elite section. It might give you some ideas for your hammer. I will be following this o see how it turns out.

lol have to be honest seen it already, it's what made me decide to do a hammerin the end :p

plus i'm 6'5 and wide, i don't think i could do spartan armour unless jorge puts on some weight, but a brute i could pull off lol

Awesome stuff. The gravity hammer is my favorite weapon. I think I want to try a build of my own once I finish my armor.

Keep up the work! I can't wait to see it!

does anyone know where to get either recordable soud chips or a service that can record to a chip? i want the hammer impact noise button activated on the handle, and having headaches finding the places to get them

wow good job man nice hammer! it's really cool! i really want to see it finished!

does anyone know where to get either recordable soud chips or a service that can record to a chip? i want the
hammer impact noise button activated on the handle, and having headaches finding the places to get them

Thats a cool idea about the sound chips. Hope you can find some, and lets us know.

well i have seen some online but they are about £50 for thew cheapest, and seeing as all materials to do the whole thing are coming in at under £20 i fail to see the point o=f that cost

finally did some more work

Yes, you heard. finally got round to getting some more of the hammer done. i have waaaay to many modelling projects going on but made sure this week i am going to get my arse in gear and do some serious work. only had time for a couple of hours today but tomorrow should be doing a bit more

20110314_001.jpg

yes finally got the 9mm mdf to make the main body, so cut the side panels and glued the ones i cut out on to it from the other week. few bits i need to tidy, i am not great with a jigsaw so a couple of areas need filling or sanding

20110314_002.jpg

second blade detail part! i had originally done the first freehand, knowing roughly the shape but just going for it, so this time i used the original as a template and drew round it.

20110314_003.jpg

more bladey bits

tomorrow the plan is clamp the blade detail parts together and sand them as one to get them a perfect match and clean up the curve of the blade, and hopefully cut the actual center piece of the blade for between them. the side panels are gonna be left a couple of days between paving slabs to compress them and make sure the glue dries well and gets a firm grip before router comes out to angle all the edges, so for now i think i am going to continue with the rest of the faces of the hammer.

oh also got on order the pvc pipe for the handle, i am looking to use 40mm and 60mm diameter stuff for that when it arrives...

and yes. i will be casting these up when complete. and yes i want a game of griffball.

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out. What part of the UK are you from, as a Grifball tourney between a few teams sounds like it could be REAL good fun lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back