Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloGoddess

Hey everyone! After a very long hiatus, I have returned and have jumped on the band wagon and decided to try my hand at the foam armor. Now it seems that you can only get so detailed with the foam. Cutting has been the hardest part for me. I don't have a heat knife and using an exacto knife and having to apply a lot of pressure to make it cut through is starting to take it's toll on my fingers. I have only used ONE sheet of foam so far to create what I got so far AND I still have room on it to cut out a few more smaller pieces! I have a total of 6 foam sheets to use and if I'm lucky, that MIGHT be all I need to make a full suit. :)

Anyway, I think I am off to a good start. :)

I think it looks okay. Since foam seems to be a new method around here, there isn't a whole lot of "stickies" to read on how to go about doing it. I've read the few things I could find, especially the videos by Ben Streeper.

What I've got so far:
24gkgtt.jpg

Now for some close-ups!

The top left shoulder side:
2ur5amu.jpg

The front area:
k2bg9w.jpg

Upper right shoulder area:
2vb0inl.jpg

And what it will sort of look like once the pieces are connected:
3538or4.jpg

I THINK that if I dedicate myself to this project, I MIGHT have it done in time for a convention in May. Since I don't have to use all the resin and crap, that reduces the time needed to finish. :p haha Also, now with Forged Reclaimer back in action and sharing his awesome models with us, I am hoping to have some VERY nice models to use.

My MAJOR issue is Kat's helmet. Yes, there are some that have made a decent helmet, but those were created before the game was released. No Kat helmet has been made since the release and the existing helmets are still not accurate. Having a helmet finished in time might be the hard part since it doesn't seem too easy to make it out of foam. XD That may have to be done using the 'ol resin, fiberglass and rondo method. :rolleyes haha

On a side note, it's a bit funny that the foam is blue and so is Kat. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In case anybody wants to know, here is my supply list:
• EVA foam (8-10 sheets should be enough for a full suit)
• Hot glue (LOTS of it. I got mine at the dollar store)
• Craft foam (this thinner foam is GREAT for detail parts that are too hard with the thicker stuff)
• Cardstock (needed to print the templates) durrrr lol
• Pen (to trace the templates onto the foam, obviously) XD
• ACRYLIC paint
• Various sized paint brushes. A wider one for the big areas and a smaller one for the smaller areas.
• 1-2 spray cans of clear coat*

*I have noticed that if you rub hard enough, the acrylic paint can rub off, but you gotta rub pretty hard in order for that to happen. Plus acrylic paint is a WATER BASE PAINT so if you are out in the rain in your armor, your gonna have issues! XD

NO need for plasti-dip! :D Plasti-dip makes a good base before you paint, but that is if you go with spray paint. I've done stress tests on a scrap piece of foam with the acrylic paint and it did not peel/flake/crack off when I bent it in every way possible. It holds up pretty good. :) Of course, the armor will not be moving in some of the ways I was bending it, but just had to test and make sure the paint worked. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great! I have the same issue with Kats helmet . I know that AceNat built a full kat suit for the reach midnight release. Try contacting her as too which file she used. Keep it up!

Jacob

Looking great! I have the same issue with Kats helmet . I know that AceNat built a full kat suit for the reach midnight release. Try contacting her as too which file she used. Keep it up!

Jacob
I know which one she used and it's still not to my liking. XD

Anyway, it looks like I am gonna have to redo the chestplate. *sigh* I forgot to take into consideration the thickness of the foam and it's going to be a bit too small for me. Plus I also wanted to edit the file adter looking at my reference pics and noticed that the collar area on this model was off so I changed that.

I also made some mistakes on cutting this so I am going to change that in the 2nd attempt. Hopefully I got the size better this time. I'll post pics of the new one.

Another thing, I think I know how I am going to paint this. I WAS going to airbrush it, but then that would mean spending more money for the airbrush paint which wouldn't be too much since I only need a couple colors. I got a new way to paint it after I did a little paint test to see how it would work and it works fine WITHOUT having to spend money for plasti-dip! :D Although I will need to buy some clear coat. :p

may i ask what chest file you are using as a base for the foam templates? i have decide to put a hold on my mk6 build to try the foam method.

may i ask what chest file you are using as a base for the foam templates? i have decide to put a hold on my mk6 build to try the foam method.

The file is by L3X BLU3R1V3R. He has a male and female version of the chestplate: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28565-Another-Reach-Mark-V-Torso

Since using the foam is NOT your typical pepakura build, I've had to change the pieces to use for templates in pepakura. I also did NOT use all the pieces and that helps cut down on how much paper I use and the amount of ink. I try to stick with just one side of the pieces and trace it one way for the right, flip it over and trace it to mirror it for the left side.

looking good. can't wait for more. yes i too had issues with helmet. i did go with the one that acenate made. i liked it the most and it had the most detail. if you find a better one or make a better one i may have to start over on the helmet. (don't try too hard lol)

Nice work on the kat armor so far. Keep it up and you might have to make your own foam armor tutorials. Looking good goddess.

The file is by L3X BLU3R1V3R. He has a male and female version of the chestplate: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/28565-Another-Reach-Mark-V-Torso

Since using the foam is NOT your typical pepakura build, I've had to change the pieces to use for templates in pepakura. I also did NOT use all the pieces and that helps cut down on how much paper I use and the amount of ink. I try to stick with just one side of the pieces and trace it one way for the right, flip it over and trace it to mirror it for the left side.

Thats a great idea about fliping your template, TKS! Also keep up the good work.

Alrighty, as promised. Pics of the NEW chestplate!

mky7nt.jpg

a2afck.jpg

2ir6bsi.jpg

8x51e9.jpg

I ended up SLIGHTLY editing L3X's model because after further inspection of my reference pics, I noticed something awry with the collar area on his model so I loaded Blender, made the adjustments and printed out the new templates for the redo of my chestplate. I also made sure to avoid some of the mistakes I made in my 1st attempt since I had made some cuts that were TOTALLY not necessary so I was kind of glad that I remade it. I also did my templates different this time and tried to cut out bigger pieces instead of a bunch of seperate pieces. Made it a bit easier. :p

Hopefully later tonight I MIGHT have it done. With the exception of painting since I don't have the right color. Even though the foam itself is already blue, it's the wrong shade of blue.

Plus I need to figure out how to seal those seams. :\ If you look on the front right area of the chestplate, you will see some glue that was smeared. I thought of an idea and tested it to see if it would work and it didn't. :( Anybody know of a really good way to fill in those seams?? Something that does NOT require me to buy something expensive? XD

Alrighty, as promised. Pics of the NEW chestplate!
Plus I need to figure out how to seal those seams. :\ If you look on the front right area of the chestplate, you will see some glue that was smeared. I thought of an idea and tested it to see if it would work and it didn't. :( Anybody know of a really good way to fill in those seams?? Something that does NOT require me to buy something expensive? XD

You can try to apply more glue and then smooth out the seam using a soldering gun. Of course, one wrong move and your work will be destroyed. If you plan to use Plastic Dip, the imperfection can be covered easily. Hope this helps.

That blue actually looks really good! I've heard that the plastidip works really well at sealing the seams. If it looks like you are running short on foam, let me know. Any chance of coming to dcon this year? I think there are some 405thers from your neck of the woods that will be making their way down.

You can try to apply more glue and then smooth out the seam using a soldering gun. Of course, one wrong move and your work will be destroyed. If you plan to use Plastic Dip, the imperfection can be covered easily. Hope this helps.
Destroyed!? D: Oh noes! XD That doesn't sound good.

That blue actually looks really good! I've heard that the plastidip works really well at sealing the seams. If it looks like you are running short on foam, let me know. Any chance of coming to dcon this year? I think there are some 405thers from your neck of the woods that will be making their way down.

Nope. No dcon for me. :( I can't attend any con that is too far away from me let alone out of the state. The ONLY con I am able to attend is the Motor City Comic Con and that is only a 45 minute drive away from me. If there is anybody near me that is making the trip and doesn't mind picking me up then I will go. :p Other than that, I can't make it.

Also as for the plasti-dip, I don't plan on buying it. :p I have discovered a way to paint it without the use of that stuff even though people said that it is good to use as a base coat before painting, but I don't need it. Since my paint test worked, I'm going with what I got.

Also, I SHOULD have enough foam for everything. I try to use every little space to trace a piece onto so that I can hope to make everything with the 5 pieces of foam that I am left with. After the first chestplate, I had already used nearly a full sheet. I was able to use what little I had left to trace pieces for the new one, but then I was left with just the 5 full pieces. I have already gone through another whole piece and started on a second one. I remember reading that 2 pieces should be good to complete a chestplate. With what I made so far with just the one sheet, it looks like 2 will work. Plus I am only making one bicep and one forearm piece. But then I still gotta do the shins and thigh pieces!! D: Also the boot coverings. XD

I have 2 methods that might work. First you can fill the seam with hot glue then after it dries you can shave it smooth using a penknife. A second way is to cover part of the seam with tape fill with some hot glue until you see it touching the tape then wait for it to dry remove the tape, then move on to the next spot. I have use both of these methods for some of my pieces to fill in some gaps and seams.

Where did u get blue foam and how are you making the bendd in the foam without cutting pieces
The blue foam was a present from Brandon McClain. :p He is my foam angel. lol As for the bend in the foam, I am cutting out areas in the back and being careful not to cut all the way through. First I cut a line in the back where I need my fold to be using an exacto knife. Then I bend it backwards and using scissors, I cut one of the edges on an angle so that when I fold it the right way, the piece will have an angle to it. Someone posted a picture of this on another thread. I just can't remember which one. XD

Maybe I will see about posting a video on youtube with a clear view on how to do it. :) There IS A video already explaining the beveled edge cut, but his foam is black and you can barely see what he is doing.

Sorry for the double post guys, but I got lots to post!

MOAR PICS!

I've been working on this since my last post with pics and wanted to show some progress:

2vblul1.jpg

This is the piece that will become the right back piece. Yeah, that little black piece may look out of place, but here's why:

3314002.jpg

It helps to create that lift. In actuality, that part is supposed to be raised a bit and since I had the thinner foam laying around to use as the detail pieces for a Master Chief helmet I was going to make for my husband, I was able to cut out the shape I needed then glued it in place. When I had the model open in pepakura and was figuring out how to arrange and change the pieces for my templates, I saw that area and right away thought about how to go about doing that and I immediately figured out what to do. :)

PAINT TEST!!! XD

Okay, so I knew I had a light shade of blue and was just curious to see what it would look like.

2a7j5nd.jpg

2lnct5h.jpg

It's TOO light. It might not look like it in the pictures, but in person, it's too light. The white lines that are on the front of the chestplate will not be seen too clearly so I think I need to go a shade darker. Not much though, just a tad. But then again, after I make it look "dirty" (black wash) it might help to darken the color of the paint. Either way, I still gotta buy more paint for whatever color I decide to use for the armor since I am all out of that light blue I had. XD Luckily the paint I buy is pretty cheap. :p haha One thing I am curious to know though, is there anybody that HAS finished their armor out of foam and used any type of protective spray over the paint job? With how dull/flat the paint becomes and the fact that it CAN wear off over a period of time (only from touching/handling it) I feel the need to spray something over it. A lot of people seem to be recommending the Krylon brand paints. I want a good type of clear coat, but NOT something that is going to make my armor look super shiny. XD lol

Last edited by a moderator:
this is looking very good, i cant wait to get started on my foam build, i should be getting some foam sometime in the next few days. also it seems like the reach armor was subconsciously designed for us armor makers to be built out of foam.

The foam came from eBay. As far as clear coats, you can get them in a matte finish rather than gloss if you want. That way it won't be shiny. I wonder if you got some low expansion foam and brushed that in if it would work. Might be worth a shot, though it think the hot glue and trim once cooled will probably be your best bet.

The blue foam was a present from Brandon McClain. :p He is my foam angel. lol As for the bend in the foam, I am cutting out areas in the back and being careful not to cut all the way through. First I cut a line in the back where I need my fold to be using an exacto knife. Then I bend it backwards and using scissors, I cut one of the edges on an angle so that when I fold it the right way, the piece will have an angle to it. Someone posted a picture of this on another thread. I just can't remember which one. XD

Maybe I will see about posting a video on youtube with a clear view on how to do it. :) There IS A video already explaining the beveled edge cut, but his foam is black and you can barely see what he is doing.

I showed how to do those cuts on my Boot Toes (by Acenat), dunno if you were refering to my build or not( there are a lot of foam builds starting up now). Didn't mean to butt in.
That Blue Foam looks great, I'm jealous. Shins, depending on your size should take about Half to 3/4 sheet. Mine are Jorge Shins by Rhinoc and they had some extra bits to them and I used a wholesheet each.
I have a nice looking thigh set-up in my pics if you want to use it for ref., it cut my usage down from a whole sheet to only half for my thighs. But take notice that around the knee area of the Thigh, you may want to add an extra inch or two for when your leg is bent, or you may bust your piece, I did twice.

About finished my HElm, maybe I should start the Torso next instead of the Forearms, I'm getting envious of the torso's I keep seeing.

And for edges and seams, Just tip that may help ya, When Pressing the parts together, I would get extra that would run out, (Don't flatten it), when cooled, I took my Hotknofe and shaved it off then sanded the edge. Erocktorres also used a beltsander on his to get perfect seams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back