Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh!!! I am still amazed at how your foam armor looks, its so realistic and lifelike. it looks like the real deal :) keep it up!!!!

EDIT: After seeing that link, I decided to do a google search of the windows recovery virus that I seem to have and...............eureka! I found EXACTLY what I needed to know:
http://www.techvts.com/windows-recovery-virus-removal

this worked great. My son just picked up this virus and I was able to rid his sys on this and it up and running 100%

As for you're build its looking great. Question for you....Are you doing this for the Detroit Comic Con. If so let me know what days you're going to be there. I'd love to see this build in person. I direct traffic 4 blocks from Cobo. :)

EDIT: After seeing that link, I decided to do a google search of the windows recovery virus that I seem to have and...............eureka! I found EXACTLY what I needed to know:
http://www.techvts.com/windows-recovery-virus-removal

this worked great. My son just picked up this virus and I was able to rid his sys on this and it up and running 100%

As for you're build its looking great. Question for you....Are you doing this for the Detroit Comic Con. If so let me know what days you're going to be there. I'd love to see this build in person. I direct traffic 4 blocks from Cobo. :)

This costume will debut at the Motor City Comic Con in Novi. For some reason, I don't feel that my Halo costume will fit in with the Detroit Comic Con. :\

Anyway..............LOOK AT WHAT I MADE!!!! hahahaaaa

2uh4ygn.jpg

This is NOT the greatest, but it will work for a foam build. It could possibly use some more work, but this is my FIRST model!! It took me forever to get it to this point. XD I guess it's not too bad for someone who doesn't really have a clue what they are doing when it comes to modeling. LOL

This model will NOT work too well for someone that is doing the cardstock build. There is too much weirdness with this model. XD If someone that is VERY experienced with modeling wants to clean\touch this up so that people who prefer the cardstock can build it, then let me know and I will send you the file. :)

I also did this model with the intentions of having it function to hold stuff inside. The lid is seperate and I made it so that when I build it, I can hopefully put a camera in it or something. Just so that I don't have to carry my big Halo 3 messenger bag around, although it IS Halo, but the less I gotta carry, the better. :p But if I have to, I could just have my husband carry it for me. He won't mind that it's Halo. haha

As far as releasing this file, I could, but I MUST warn you, this will most likely be a VERY tricky build and it will require a lot of thought in order to make it work. XD I'm hoping that I can make it work. LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How are you doing the paint job? It looks really good.
I'm just using acrylic paint and I'm brushing it on with a paint brush. For the "dirty" look, I just use some damp paper towel, dip it in some black paint ( not too much) then smear it where I want it. Once it dries, I will got back over it with the damp paper towel and smear it around as needed to my liking. :) I ALWAYS fully paint the piece black as my base color before I do any other painting.

looks outstanding. like it alot better than my scratch made one. if you don't mind, could i get a copy of it once you have it unfolded?

I'm not sure if you've mentioned this in the thread yet, but which convention are you making this for? I may be able to go to it too, if it's nearby...

I'm not sure if you've mentioned this in the thread yet, but which convention are you making this for? I may be able to go to it too, if it's nearby...
I DID mention it in my last post right above the picture of my blender model. :p

Anyway, here is the address though. It's about a 30 minute drive or so for me.

Suburban Collection Showplace (formerly Rock Financial Showplace)
46100 Grand River Ave.
Novi, MI 48374

Okay, so I am having issues with the model in pepakura.......

The circled areas are my problem areas:
1j9d7c.jpg

I have tried fixing this a dozen times already and the front part of the lid will just not fix for some reason. I managed to fix a lot of it, but these areas just won't go away! Does anybody know how to fix this?

Also, this pic is to show that I did indeed use pictures and stuff to make this model:
2sanyj4.jpg

I DID mention it in my last post right above the picture of my blender model. :p

Anyway, here is the address though. It's about a 30 minute drive or so for me.

Suburban Collection Showplace (formerly Rock Financial Showplace)
46100 Grand River Ave.
Novi, MI 48374
Well that's what I get for forgetting to scroll up. (****it.) Also, formerly the Novi Expo Center, WAY back when.

(PS: Replied to your PM.)

I think the grey pieces represent the 'backs' and the white pieces represent the 'fronts' of faces.

Two things to try to fix this are A) select all, press 'w' and select 'flip normals' which will reverse which way a face faces or B) select all, press 'cntrl' and 'n' to recalculate all normals to point outward. I think method B) will work.

goddess!!!!!! In Blender, open your (awesome) model up, hit 'Tab' to go into edit mode, hit the "A" key to select all, and hit Ctrl+N, and then try exporting your model into .obj, it will help :3

YAY!! My model is fixed! Thanks for your help guys. :D

Now I gotta unfold this bad boy and start working on it. I lost 3 days of working on my armor since I had nothing more to work off of and I am NOT about to attempt a scratch build and possibly end up wasting my foam. I have no more money at the moment and am negative in my bank account.......again. <_<

I hope ForgedReclaimer can at least get the belt, chestplate and forearm modeled. That's all I need after I build the case. Then I am still waiting on the helmet, boots and weapon from Brandon.

That is great for a first model! I made an airplane a looong time ago but have forgotten how to even start a model :( I want so badly to model. Im jealous lol. I have always been amazed by your work, and this is just another skill you now have that it looks like you just may excel at.

Crossing my fingers for you to be ready for your con!

So this is what I missed in my sabbatical/hiatus. Well, HaloGoddess, you never cease to impress, and this is going to be one badass suit. It really sucks about the virus, but HOLY CRAP THAT'S A BRILLIANT MODEL! Fantastic work, and I can't see what else you model and build. Even with finals and ap testing, this will be one thread I'm keeping my eye on.

Cheers!

EDIT:Arghh I hate when it takes me to a new post a page behind, I'll keep what I posted up though.

those are inverted faces, witch means there facing the inside instead of the outside. To fix this you need to go into "solid" mode by pressing "Z" then then find "Textured View" or "Shaded View" on the tool bar(It has the select modes, Vertex,Face,Edge) and that allows you to see through the faces that are facing the wrong way. Once you select all of the inverted faces press "W" and click on "Flip Normals" and that will/should fix it.

about ur paint u use for ur foam armor is it also water proof ? re edit* nvm i just read it XD u should look for water proof paint XD

about ur paint u use for ur foam armor is it also water proof ? re edit* nvm i just read it XD u should look for water proof paint XD

I plan on using a clear coat so the paint will be just fine.

Anyway..............

I actually managed to pep my tactical case model. I realized that due to the small size, the 1/2" thick foam would not be too easy to make it the way I want it to look so I felt that I should pep it in order to make it so that the inside is still large enough to accomodate for what I want to put inside.

Here is the outcome:

zuiflg.jpg

enk2v.jpg

I plan on using craft foam on the inside to keep my stuff protected. I will just be using hot glue to stiffen it up. Just as I did for the shoulder pieces. The finished height of this is about 7 inches and that is what I got after measuring the area it would take up on my thigh after referring to reference images as to how the case lines up with the thigh. This may end up looking a bit on the crappy side once I finish it, but I just hope to make it work.

Also after pepping my first model, the cardstock needed some more support so I opened it back up in blender and added a piece to the back, upper part. I'm not worried about having the back fully covered since it will permanately be attached to the thigh and the thigh will help to cover the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back