Little Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo J30

I have finished pepping three different helmets over the past month and I have come to this particular issue in all three: the helmet fits until I put the last ring that forms the base of the helmet. I've done my best to scale them but I guess I just have a wide head. Any suggestions other than the obvious (not to paste on the last ring) because I'd like to have that ring on.

I'd really appreciate some ideas.

Thanks in advance

I get the same thing, the last ring at the bottom is mostly a support thing, if the helmet fits otherwise then harden it up with resin/fiberglass or Rondo and then trim the ring till it fits. It's how I've been doing mine :)

If your scaling is done right you will bump into that problem all the time. Don't worry to much about it, all you need to do is trim it a little after you have it hardened. So after you use which even method of hardening you like (fiberglass or rondo) you just take a dremal and shave off enough of the hole so it fits over your head.

I have found that regardless of proper scaling, especially with helmets, you will always need to trim some of the lower ring off. You can obviously get around this completely through increasing the size, but you end up having a helmet that looks a bit too big.

You could also surgically remove your ears, but last time I checked, ears are kinda important...

You could also surgically remove your ears, but last time I checked, ears are kinda important...

I think I need those if I'm going to keep writing music; but I really appreciate the tip guys. I was just scared to waste resin because I'm a little strapped for cash currently.

i agree with the other guys just trim it until your head fits in and then resin it or you can resin first and trim after.... :)

Harden the helmet like normal, apply the bondo, shape it, and then trim the bottom out so you can get your head into it.

Update

[Update]: So I know it's been a while since I last posed my question and I've been working on the Reach EOD (I'm sorry I can't remember who designed it). I pepped it and I'm currently in the process of fiberglassing it I've also pepped up the Jorge torso (modeled by L3X BLU3R1V3R) I'll post pics soon, I hope. On that note I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to actually getting into the torso armor as I have yet to have learned to dislocate my shoulders on command.

L3X chest piece.

Method 1.
1.) cut collar out in pep
2.) replace collar and/or neck seal with foam.
3.) cut lower belt to tapper chest piece to fit you
4.) harden chest piece
5.) cut lower belt out
6.) replace lower belt with foam.

Method 2.
Download foam pattern of chest
1.) do whole chest in foam

Method 3.
1.) I can help with dislocating shoulders (caution very painful)

***I strongly believe that you should go with one of the first 2 methods. ***

I hope this helps. I myself am doing method 1. for my first build.

L3X chest piece.

Method 3.
1.) I can help with dislocating shoulders (caution very painful)

I know I've had my shoulders dislocated playing futbol twice before. I'm going to go with Method 1 since I've already build the darned thing. I'll just replace some of the lower arm parts with foam.

Good choice There really is a foam pattern for the L3X chest just use that for the lower belt part should be real fast to fix up.

I'm taking a break from my chest piece since I'm feeling a bit bogged down in it and I'm picking up my EOD helmet (Reach version) again. Any suggestions as to what I could use for the visor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back