Props ODST - SMG out of Nerf Recon (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolC

I've been working on my kids ODST armor for several weeks now. I've finished pepping all the pieces - just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can begin to resin. Last year I made guns out of pepakura. They lacked details and were not sturdy. This time I decide to modify some Nerf gun and make them into SMGs.

I started the process yesterday by planning what I need to do. Here is the progress so far.

Here is a picture of the Nerf. It has very similar features as the SMG.
NerfRecon-1.jpg

Here is the blueprint of SMG I found off web.
ODSTSMR.jpg

The naked butt.
d2214037.jpg

I'm covering the butt with cardboard and then detail it with strips of cardboard.
3c762cb2.jpg

The barrel is too large with venting holes.
8035cfc4.jpg

I disassembled the barrel to show the bore.
0c5667db.jpg

The barrel will be replaced with a PVC tube or paper towel tubing.
8eb50051.jpg

The gunsight was also destroyed and shortened.
df6c1d36.jpg

More updates later.

it looks good, i like that you use the clear version of at nerf gun. no need to sand it down.I'll be watcing this thread. XD

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can begin to finish the ODSTs. However, it is still cold in the NE. In the mean time I finished detailing the butts of the SMG. Here is what they look like.

I used thin cardboard and glued them using glue gun.
c2f98c84.jpg

Both of them are done.
5371f522.jpg

The top and back of the SMGs.
6a224aed.jpg

Still not sure what to use for the barrel. Either PVC or cardboad tubing. More to come later.

if you can use pvc with brass it would make the range great, i used 1/2 inch pvc, and some brass or sumthin that fit in it back in my nerf moddin days.

Also, what with the magazine, and the thickness of the recon. You could make one of UIN13's shortened mags, and saw off that little thing in front of the mag that locks the barrel cover in place, and possible have the trigger guard attached to the mag, so it wont block the mag coming out. Then if you are an experienced nerf modder heres the tricky part. Take off the priming handle with the rail, and modify the boltsled by adding a small charging handle on one side. The smaller charging handle is harder to prime, but wont move the whole top of the gun back, and ruin the placement of the dummy mag. As for the barrel, you could shorten the frame, and add the foregrip, right about where the magazine goes. You could also get ahold of some pvc threaded stuff, to make a nice supressor.

if you can use pvc with brass it would make the range great, i used 1/2 inch pvc, and some brass or sumthin that fit in it back in my nerf moddin days.

Also, what with the magazine, and the thickness of the recon. You could make one of UIN13's shortened mags, and saw off that little thing in front of the mag that locks the barrel cover in place, and possible have the trigger guard attached to the mag, so it wont block the mag coming out. Then if you are an experienced nerf modder heres the tricky part. Take off the priming handle with the rail, and modify the boltsled by adding a small charging handle on one side. The smaller charging handle is harder to prime, but wont move the whole top of the gun back, and ruin the placement of the dummy mag. As for the barrel, you could shorten the frame, and add the foregrip, right about where the magazine goes. You could also get ahold of some pvc threaded stuff, to make a nice supressor.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do you have some photos to share? I tried hard to picture what you suggested. I'm more a visual person.

How did you make all of those holes?

Simple. Single-hold puncher. :)

Here is what I did a few days ago.

I tried using 1 inch PVC pipe. Didn't work. So I used cardboard tubing from paper towel.

First I cut several round disc out of cardboard to reinforce the tube. The disc is folded in circle to allow area to apply glue.
b881ff59.jpg

I inserted the inside barrel through the disc.
7746a353.jpg

Some hot glue on one end.
6cedd370.jpg

More glue on the other end.
6576af56.jpg

The stock looks oversize. At least the Nerf gun can still shoot. A few more touch up then it is good to go.
a06e0c54.jpg

Wow, thats lookin pretty slick! That cardboard is looking pretty clean, very immaculate. Are you going to put the little front grip in? Excelent job!

I am extremely surprised of the detail you were able to get with just cardboard!

It was also very resourceful to use the existing barrel extension for the silencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back