Finished ODST helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arioch

Just finished this for a friend, thought Id share some pictures with you all.

5614103035_2368b9a18f_b.jpg

5614098197_ea4cf51f0c_b.jpg
5614672728_75f19366b7_b.jpg

5614668264_4f671311a3_b.jpg

5614664256_b7a1f04d47_b.jpg

5614080667_9d05a880c2_b.jpg

5614656276_4960a5852e_b.jpg

5614651970_b58f851a72_b.jpg

5614648350_1314710fb2_b.jpg

5614644284_45acbe0e50_b.jpg

All comments are welcome.

The visor is heated and hand-formed plexiglass. Its a touchy thing, it takes me a couple tries each time so far. The plastic tends to bubble if it isnt heated just right. There are a few tiny bubbles in this one, but its not noticeable with battle damage and how small they are.

EDIT - I almost forgot to thank you for the compliments! Look at BenStreepers work, I learned from his tutorials, and I like his better than mine.

well im buggered lol, trying to find something to use for my rocketeer helmet, cant do that stuff lol. you deserve the compliment, its an awesome build you've done.

You could try a daft punk build, then just modify it into the rocketeer. I think that has a chance of working. You can find that file on this site somewhere.

Thanks Roadkill!

well ive already built the rocketeer helmet, its just the eyes that im stuck with, im happy to leave them but would prefer to have sum kind of glass plastic thing

is the visor vacuum formed?

Not really. I made a small vac form table, but my shop vac isnt that strong. So I use my hands to press the plastic onto my visor form.

Tomahawk, get a sheet of clear plastic, cut the pieces out a bit too big, heat them and you should be able to form them to the right shape for the lenses. Just wear gloves and be careful not to burn yourself. Then you can just tint the plastic to the right color and seal them in place.

Wow this looks awesome Arioch! What color/brand of paint did you use for the base color if you dont mind me asking?? I've been looking around at people's ODST builds trying to find a paint color I like and this is awesome!

rino626

Krylon Camouflage paint. It says, "ULTRA-FLAT" on the cap. I used Olive and Khaki. And thanks for the compliments everyone!

The visor was made the same way that Benstreeper made his with his small vac table in his video. The difference being that my shop vac wasnt strong enough to pull the plastic onto the original so I had to form it with my hands. Ive done it a couple times now, but its not the best way. Each success had about 3 fails a piece. I think I have something new worked out. If it does work, Ill put a video of it up for everyone.

a vac table is basically a small platform with holes in it hooked up to a shop vac. When you place something on top of it, like a sheet of warm plastic fastened to a frame, it will suck the plastic down over the original.

so like. place the sample visor(resined or finished)on the vac table then heat up the visor, then put the visor on top of the sample??

Well, what I did, is I cut the visor out of the molded helmet, used that cut out and built it up to extend the edges about 1/2 inch with bondo and resin.

Then I filled it in to make it like a big wedge so it was sturdy. I sanded the front smooth and stand it on the vac table.

After heating the plastic, it SHOULD just get sucked down over the wedge and then I have a new visor to cut out.. but my vac isnt strong enough. So, when the suction dies out, I just push it over my wedge with my hands and fingers until it covers the whole wedge.

When it cools, I pop the wedge out and cut the flashing off of the new visor and install it.

Ill tell you what, Ill try it again on a new kind of plastic I found thats A LOT thinner.. maybe my vac table will work. If it does, Ill do a second one and record and post it so you can see what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back