The Engage ODST Build [pic heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Engage

Jr Member
Hello all! Couple months ago I pepped (somewhat) a master chief helmet and failed at that so I decided I'd move to ODST. It's taken me awhile just to get this done because cutting 38 pages of parts with an XACTO knife isn't exactly fun. But it took me probably about a month or so and here's what I got

IMG_0292.jpg

This is Hugh Holder's core chest piece for an ODST. Well... it will be once I get all the parts together. My question is, how do I do that? I read in his thread to use butterfly clips. Is that the best way about putting this together?

Also, I am worried a tad about the scale. Hopefully I can fix that somehow.

While I have not personally built an ODST suit from Hugh's files, I've seen several other builds on here, and they all use those black binder clips.

Also, if your scaling is off by too much, than you can't really "fix it somehow", you'd have to start over. If its close enough, then keep going.

I use scissors and X-Acto knife after my failed attempt at cutting half a piece. X-Acto for cutting squares.
I want to see this build :D.

Its like everyone moved on from first building a Spartan suit to first building an ODST suit, all Ive done so far is make the Halo 2 ODST helmet. But thats for a secret project that I will reveal about later. X actio knives are best for this type of work, unless you buy the cheaply made one and the replacement blades but end up having the tips break off of each of them -_- . Either way you should keep working and make sure the pieces will fit you.

So I went out and bought a bunch of butterfly clips... and turned that mess you saw above into this...

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

It may not look like it in the pictures, but I held up the front and back pieces to where they should be, and they fit pretty well. I think just a little trimming here and there during later stages should make it a great fit.

Just need to glue all the butterfly pieces together now and I'll be done with the chest ;D

Oh and about the collar, I'll add that later.

Its like everyone moved on from first building a Spartan suit to first building an ODST suit, all Ive done so far is make the Halo 2 ODST helmet. But thats for a secret project that I will reveal about later. X actio knives are best for this type of work, unless you buy the cheaply made one and the replacement blades but end up having the tips break off of each of them -_- . Either way you should keep working and make sure the pieces will fit you.

I was going to build a Spartan first but then I mucked up the helmet so I threw it away. Then I was going to start on another Spartan and my girlfriend said I should work on an ODST. So here I am now :D And yeah my first time cutting the tip of my XACTO knife broke. That was a result of thinking I had to apply a ton of pressure to it though. Now I just glide them over the paper and it's like cutting butter.

Here's a tip. I know a lot of members swear by Xacto knife. I personally prefer a pair of good sharp scissors. Get a rubber handle medium-size scissors and you are good to go. The trick is don't cut the tab precisely. They will be glued on the inside so they are not visible. Since you will be finishing your piece in bondo, cutting each section precisely is not important. It takes you a month to complete a chest piece. It took me about 4 months to complete pepping 2 ODST suits.

Here is a good tip if you don't know already. DO NOT glue the front half to the back half. you can glue together the pieces that make up the front and the back, just not the to halves. The reason is because you won't be able to slip it on over your head, so you have to split it at the middle and clip it back together when its on.

Sorry if that doesn't sound very clear, you can check out my build to see what I mean.

Hey guys, I'm trying to stick to almost exclusively Hugh Holder's ODST build but his shoulder pep download seems to be down. Does anyone have it or know where I could find it?

Quick pepped up some hip plates...

IMG_0301.jpg

Unfortunately the plate on the right got mucked up a little bit. I might redo it or just fix it later. Not sure...

Off to watch the Garnet and Gold FSU Spring Game!

Oh and also, if anyone has a link to Hugh Holder's shoulder files that would be greatly appreciated! I tried downloading it from the link on his thread but it doesn't seem to want to work :(

Got the shoulder files, going to start on them next.

Well hello there! It's been a little while... lost interest in this project a couple months ago. However, I'm back at it and I'm moving somewhat fast now. So here's what I've been up to over the past couple weeks:

IMG_0461.jpg

^ What I've gotten hardened and whatnot so far. I'm working on pepping Hugh's Chest Assets file.
IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

^ First thing I tried fiberglassing. Just wanted to do a small piece that could be replaced easily
IMG_0465.jpg

^ Other side of it...
IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

^Tried glassing the chest pieces today
IMG_0470.jpg

^ And the other piece.

I'm open for some constructive criticism and suggestions.

Your stuff seams to be coming along great!

If you torso gets warped or doesn't match together from fiberglassing it, you can heat the whole part with a heat gun and bend it into shape. When it cools it should stay how you left it. I figured I should mention it because I had to do it to my torso, and it turned out great. The same technique works with anything fiberglassed or rondoed.

Glad to see more ODSTs!

looking good and welcome to the ranks of the ODST's. cant wait to see more. if you have any questions on odst build you can always ask theres enough of us out there......

Quick question guys. I've fiberglassed a couple pieces so far and I've been wondering would I be better off just adding a second layer of fiberglass or could I put some rondo on top of what I've already fiberglassed? Which would be better? I've heard of mudglassing being VERY strong as well and I'm interested in that however I can't find much on it.

Oh and just finished pepping the chest assets from Hugh Holder this morning. Going to start working on the other thigh and shin piece today.

hey man looking good nice clean pep work id say bondo but i havnt made it that far on my helmet yet so you may want to wait for some body a little more advanced than myself

I have read in many places that it is ok if you add another coat of fiberglassing, just make sure when you do your careful about and not to let your pieces warp, but if you think you have gotten a good first coat of glassing on it then im sure you can go straight to your bondo stage, if so remeber not to go crazy with the bondo because it could turn into a lot of sanding. I hope this helped. Btw im currently working on Hugh's odst build, so good luck man, like to see what you have when your done

Well my main chest core pieces are still a tad flimsy so I'd like to reinforce them a little bit more so that they're not going to rip or break apart. So I'm either thinking of adding another fiberglass or adding a layer of rondo (if that's an okay idea) on top of my first fiberglass layer. Good luck on your build guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back