Chest armor and head hole size

Status
Not open for further replies.

daurkin

Hello, I've been pep'ing several pieces for the past few weeks. Started some projects for my 7 yr old son and myself. The one real issue I've found on both our suits is the head hole size in chest armor.

Focusing on just mine, I'm a 6' tall guy, average slim build, and a head that is about 7.5" wide. In order to make chest armor (Noble Six Reach armor) fit my chest with the width that seem correct, my head hole is about an inch too small. Is this common? Do I continue the piece and modify it later? It's almost like I need to complete it, but then replace the collar area with something that gives, but looks tight. Looking at halo pics, seems like Spartans just have skinny heads ;)

It's tough searching for topics on this because the words "head hole" will continue to bring up helmet issues. If you have any tips or more search suggestions, I'll be appreciative.

What most people do is leave the hole as is, and essentially finish the piece (or at least mostly finished: Bondo-ed, sanded, etc). Then, they split the chest piece in half to create front and back clamshell pieces that are re-attached somehow (parachute clips, magnets, velcro, etc). To put it on, you just attach the two pieces to the front and back of your torso.

I personally haven't done this yet since I'm not far enough into my build, but there are some build threads that show how to do this. Good luck!

What most people do is leave the hole as is, and essentially finish the piece (or at least mostly finished: Bondo-ed, sanded, etc). Then, they split the chest piece in half to create front and back clamshell pieces that are re-attached somehow (parachute clips, magnets, velcro, etc). To put it on, you just attach the two pieces to the front and back of your torso.

Thats about sums it up. Most chests are made to be split into two parts, its actually very hard to put one on without the split in it. You wont make the split until right before you are ready to paint.

I have to ask you what chest are you using? If its the L3X then you modify the collar in pep or remove it all together and add a neck seal in foam later. I have done the foam on this one my self.

Yes, the one I'm building for myself is the L3X_Carpathiavh99 file. It was hard enough getting the scale correct because the default view is diagonal and the pieces in the back are separated.

From all the reading I've done on the site, I thought I was in the right direction. I just haven't found a good tutorial on making the clam shell process work. Samples of where other people made cuts or how they connected them. I read the one sticky in Mounting forum, but it wasn't helpful for the chest to me.

I have to ask you what chest are you using? If its the L3X then you modify the collar in pep or remove it all together and add a neck seal in foam later. I have done the foam on this one my self.

I just checked out your WIP build and I see how you did it. That helps me out a lot, for the head hole.

I am pepping a noble 6 chest right now and I discovered the same thing. I am debating on the clamshell method or taking a dremel to the neckpiece and filling it back in with a flexible foam. I am leaning more towards the dremel and foam. I can't imagine slicing a piece in half is very easy.

Ok for the clam shell. DON'T split it. I tried two different things with mine. First was removing a piece and then using it with velcrove to fill in that opening. In the end I didn't like this to well. the next thing I tried is to make that opening a little bigger and then make the lower straps out of foam. I'm going to stick with the later concept. I will post some pic's later this month on how it turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back