Halo Reach Jorge- First build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovemberAdam

Jr Member
Howdy everyone, thought I would drop by after talking with a fellow at Sakura Con (Of course I suck with names so can't remember his!)

I wanted to thank all of the fine people here for their inspiration (and Pep files ;) ) for my build.

I don't have any work in progress shots, but here are some photos of the final product that I wore to Sakura Con 2011.

Enjoy, oh and comments are welcome. :)

f4d1f91186909607215e76fa841a13f5.jpg

Thanks, I was really running short on time in the end so I couldn't spend as much time on the pieces as I wanted. I plan and going back and working on the pieces some more and fixing some stuff up on them. That and adding the forearm attachments, backback, and helmet attachment.

One thing that always flumoxed me is the reference to Bondo. Isn't Bondo just a 3M brand name for a large line of products?

Thanks, I was really running short on time in the end so I couldn't spend as much time on the pieces as I wanted. I plan and going back and working on the pieces some more and fixing some stuff up on them. That and adding the forearm attachments, backback, and helmet attachment.

One thing that always flumoxed me is the reference to Bondo. Isn't Bondo just a 3M brand name for a large line of products?

When people say bondo, they are refering to bondo automotive body filler. Bondo is actually the brand name. Nice looking Jorge suit by the way.

Nice suit bro!
Teh shulder looks kinda small in the last picutre..
But the rest of the stuff is great!

I think it looks good the way it is, but if you want it to look smooth Bondo will really make it look better, especially on the shoulder to make the curve much smoother, but otherwise I think it turned really nice, so was everyone at the Con impressed, that alone will tell you how you did, hope to see more of your work

I agree the left shouldert guard was way too small. I'm going to redo it at a larger scale as well.

Thanks for the compliments. Yep, everyone at the con did like the costume, so that was very flattering.

So what works better, putting body filler on the outside and sanding it down, or putting a few more coats of resin on the inside and sanding it down that way? Oh and I used fabric and resin on the inside to give it more strength and thickness.

I agree the left shouldert guard was way too small. I'm going to redo it at a larger scale as well.

Thanks for the compliments. Yep, everyone at the con did like the costume, so that was very flattering.

So what works better, putting body filler on the outside and sanding it down, or putting a few more coats of resin on the inside and sanding it down that way? Oh and I used fabric and resin on the inside to give it more strength and thickness.

Put bondo on the outside, if you layer resin on to thick it will hide any details, just put the bondo on in thin layers where you need it sand it down then add more thin layers till you have it where you want it, if you put it on thick then you'll just be sanding it all back down and it will take forever, a common mistake people make is just covering everything with bondo then having tons to sand down and trust me its not fun, hope this helps

Put bondo on the outside, if you layer resin on to thick it will hide any details, just put the bondo on in thin layers where you need it sand it down then add more thin layers till you have it where you want it, if you put it on thick then you'll just be sanding it all back down and it will take forever, a common mistake people make is just covering everything with bondo then having tons to sand down and trust me its not fun, hope this helps

Wouldn't applying the resin to the inside of the piece keep the detail? I do appreciate the ideas. Do you use the body filler that has the glass fibres in it, or without? I had the filler that had the glass fibres, and it made the surface very pitted, so I needed a fair bit of spot filler putty to fill it in.

The resin just helps to harden the outside but it really doesn't add much thickness. You add bondo to the outside to get rid of the slight warps and bends in the peps. Sanding it then allows you to get a uniform surface. I would recommend bondo gold grade body filler. It has no fiberglass in it.

The left shoulder is waaaayy to small.It needs to be at least 2 times biger.And you put the gauntlets on the wrong way.The part where the long oval thing is is supposed to be on the side of your hand.Otherwise...preety damn awesome.Too bad you dont have a machine gun. :)

Thanks for the compliment. 2 times you think? I think you may be right. The funny thing about the gauntlets is that they spin on my forearms a bit. The body suit underneath is a little slippery so they would keep turning. :)

A fellow on another website did up a cool 3d model of the machine gun, but the model is way too complex to work in Pepakura. It has several hundred thousand faces. Does anyone know how to simplify a 3D model?

Wouldn't applying the resin to the inside of the piece keep the detail? I do appreciate the ideas. Do you use the body filler that has the glass fibres in it, or without? I had the filler that had the glass fibres, and it made the surface very pitted, so I needed a fair bit of spot filler putty to fill it in.

You can add resin to the inside, but if you have high and low spots to even out it can be a pain, usually people add more bondo/resin to the inside when they want to carve details to that part of the helmet, I have sanded thru the paper and into my hardening material to round out areas that had the polygon shapes where it should be rounded but I still end up putting the bondo on the outside to finish it off, but you only need to put bondo where it needs to be rounded or imperfections, your helmet looks smooth for instance, so it would need minimal bondo work but your shoulder piece has the fold lines I would sand those lines down as much as I could without weakining the piece then add bondo to the outside and sand it till its the shape I want, Then I just apply the spot putty filler in all the little imperfections that the bondo didn't cover or little pits you get after sanding the bondo, also use the bondo without the fibers, that fiber stuff is a pain to work with, and just a hint use the Gold Bondo version its easier to sand, and

Woah, I know I looked at you build before, but maybe it was prior to me finishing my chest. Mine is HUGE compared to yours! I definitely have a much bigger gap, and if I were to have a pocket I don't think I'd have the same trouble reaching it. Maybe I just got some of my angle wrong and that's why I have the space. I dunno, but yours looks much more fitted.

I'll post a pic of me wearing it soon so you can see what I mean.

Good work with the fabric/pillow padding. You really can't see it. It blends in nice with the undersuit.

No, our body types look pretty much the same. I'm just younger so I still have the strength to suck it in. ;)

Wait until you see it on me and you'll see just how big it is.

OK here we go. I'm going to try to not sound like I'm picking you apart because lets face it as a first build you did a great job. That said... you can make the chest look bigger and better by adding to you're foam padding making it sit back just a little. I can't tell if its the paint or resin that has the run marks but sanding will fix that real fast. You already know about the shoulder plate. From there it all up to how much and/or how far you want to take it. You DID a good job on this armor, so with just a few tweaks you can make it look great. Side note looks like some of the parts need more padding to keep them in place, it would also fix you're rolling forearms. I hope this helps you. And I want to say once again as a fist build this is great work, even better than my first test parts. And the photo shoot with Longshot looks great. :)

OK here we go. I'm going to try to not sound like I'm picking you apart because lets face it as a first build you did a great job. That said... you can make the chest look bigger and better by adding to you're foam padding making it sit back just a little. I can't tell if its the paint or resin that has the run marks but sanding will fix that real fast. You already know about the shoulder plate. From there it all up to how much and/or how far you want to take it. You DID a good job on this armor, so with just a few tweaks you can make it look great. Side note looks like some of the parts need more padding to keep them in place, it would also fix you're rolling forearms. I hope this helps you. And I want to say once again as a fist build this is great work, even better than my first test parts. And the photo shoot with Longshot looks great. :)

Hey Thorn, thanks for the critque. :) I have not issues with people pointing out the flaws, as its great to have an extra set of eyes looking at it in a critical light.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by adding to the foam padding. Where would I add it? To the front piece (Inside the chest area), or to the back piece?

Where your forearm pieces padded quite tight?

Thanks for the tips. :)

Hey Thorn, thanks for the critque. :) I have not issues with people pointing out the flaws, as its great to have an extra set of eyes looking at it in a critical light.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by adding to the foam padding. Where would I add it? To the front piece (Inside the chest area), or to the back piece?

Where your forearm pieces padded quite tight?

Thanks for the tips. :)

Chest will sit back just a little bit more if you put the padding in the upper rear section of you're shoulders/back on the inside. By doing this it will raise the front up just a bit and center the chest plate a bit. Soft foam works great for this.

As for mine I will be using both hard and soft foam on almost every piece. I will be using high density soft foam if I can get it at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back