Air Assault Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently you can dilute the plastidip with xylene or something similar.

I couldn't really find any, so I picked up "Industrial Machine Lubricant" from ace hardware. The can says "use in the place of xylene, naptha, etc....". It acutally doesn't take too much to dilute the plastidip, took a few tries to get a nice consistency. The problem is, once you open the can of plastidip, it slowly starts to thicken up, so the consistency of the plastidip in the can after a few days isn't the same as it was on day one, so it's hard to get any kind of general formula, just have to feel it out I guess. But at this point, I've taken to brushing several thin layers of diluted plastidip, it makes for a nice smooth finish. I'm still able to spot brush strokes, but I'm thinking the primer and paint will smooth that over.

On a side note, there's apparently a specialized plastidip thinner that's made by the manufacturer, but I can't find any local stores that sell it.

This is a pretty awesome build and it's coming along really fast! How long did it take you to do all of your foam parts?

I think I started working on the foam parts back in December, but I've been working in bursts as dictated by the quarterly schedule

wow, this is a great looking build
can't wait to see it finished
i've been meaning to re-do my N6 build from foam but haven't had the time...

out of interest, which file are you using for the ua/base security shoulders?

CJ

Quick update:

Sorry no pictures, rushing rushing rushing!
Comic-Con is Thursday so i've got 3 days to finish this
The armor and DMR is in various stages of painting. Screwed in the visor, and working on the undersuit. My inept sewing abilities have left a rather large hole near my hip, so I'm working on fixing that...

@Sil3nt d3cay: Do you just spray it on and it fills up the cracks? I've pretty much been laying the spackle with a spatula and sanding it.

@Chaotic Tinkering: I'm not sure what you mean about the texturing. If you're talking about the grid looking pattern on some spots, that just the underside of the foam mats.

@MissingSpartan7: The file for the UA Shoulder is yours! :)

Ok, update time!

Well, I got the costume done for comic-con! (kinda). The I was still installing strapping and working on the undersuit the night before the con, and didn't really get finished until literally the hour until the Halo Universe panel. In fact, my girlfriend and sister were still taping and strapping things down while I was in the line :p. The next day at the 405th meetup, the suit was much better after I made some repairs and additions from the day before. I have to say, this is a godsend:

IMGP4740.jpg

I found it in the ace hardware in downtown San Diego, and let me say, I'm now a believer! I trust "The Bish", lol. That stuff was the best and more secure way to attach the pleather parts of my undersuit to the spandex, since at that point I didn't have a sewing machine with me.

Considering that the suit was finished last minute and I was literally glued and pinned into it, I don't have any non-con photos or details at the moment. These were the best I could find from my convention pics. I'm hoping in a few days or so, I'll unpack the armor from the box and snap more detailed pictures for those that are interested.

P7230182.jpg

P7230152.jpg
P7220106.jpg

P7230172.jpg

Oh, and here's me fighting a Dinosaur with joystick controlled arms. It was the only shot I could find of my back.

IMGP4858.jpg

P7230265.jpg

In anycase, still not totally done with the armor. I'm thinking my next deadline will be the Halo Anniversary midnight launch and here's my todo list:

1) Fix the undersuit. It's a total mess, and with holes and things just glued and velcroed. I need to make more permanent and less messy attachements.

2) Fix the fan in the helmet. Well, I did have a fan in the helmet and it was helpful on day one, but I lost the connecting wire between the fan and the battery pack, so I'll have to take care of it. Also, I realized the the right side of my helmet was fine because I put the fan on the right intake, but the left was still fogging, so I'll have to add a second fan.

3) Fix the helmet neck seal. Without a doubt, the biggest pain on the costume. It was a little snug and hard to put on, and worse, the rubber seal kept getting detached from the helmet itself. Going to have to use a stronger adhesive.

4) Retach the UA Shoulder plates. Last year I had an ODST shoulder that was more flush with my arm so I had no idea about the ravages of the con. People kept bumping into the plates and eventually knocked them both off. I retattached with duct tape, but it's still flimsy.

5) (Possibly) Add lights. I was thinking this as goal to upgrade for comic-con 2012, but maybe I can be a little motivated to do it sooner.

6) Fix the paint job. While I kinda like the factory fresh look of the armor, I did feel a little out of place, so kinda need to muck it up a little

Oh, and on a side note, I got called Kat quite a bit. So it was kinda embarassing. I wonder how many guys were checking out my butt and not knowing what they're looking at :p

6) Fix the paint job. While I kinda like the factory fresh look of the armor, I did feel a little out of place, so kinda need to muck it up a little

Oh, and on a side note, I got called Kat quite a bit. So it was kinda embarassing. I wonder how many guys were checking out my butt and not knowing what they're looking at :p

after seeing the pictures, i have only one thing to critique:
the paint work.
the combination of the air assault helm and the light blue and grey colour scheme would lead many people to think that your design IS Kat because the armour parts and paint differences would be lost on all except the uncultured eye

maybe change the primary colour (blue) to a "less similar to Kat" colour
or the secondary if that's easier
and as you said, rough it up a bit - you're a genetically enhanced supersoldier, your armour should not be that clean!

that's my two cents

anyway, fantastic build
hope to see more armour added to it soon (build a super-spartan!)
CJ

The problem is, once you open the can of plastidip, it slowly starts to thicken up, so the consistency of the plastidip in the can after a few days isn't the same as it was on day one, so it's hard to get any kind of general formula, just have to feel it out I guess

One thing you can do is mix it up in an empty quart paint can and then store it upside down. I currently have a 10% naptha mix of Plasti-Dip that I have had for well over a year now and it has not solidified and seems to be about the same consistency as when I first mixed it.

@Zat German: that's a very good idea, I don't have too much plastidip left, but definately a good way to preserve what's left.

@MissingSpartan7: definitely going to dirty up the armor a bit when I get a chance. A friend was looking at the picture and at first thought it was a drawing rather than a real life photo.

As to the color, I had the feeling that it would happen when started this build. I've been using cobalt since Halo 1, guess I'll just have to live with it. Plus, it really is my fault for liking the air assault helmet :p

Alrighty, so over the weekend, I finally unpacked the armor from the comic-con box and took some more detailed pictures:

IMGP4969.jpg

Handplate on glove

IMGP4970.jpg

Belt/Cod

IMGP4971.jpg

IMGP4972.jpg

Boots

IMGP4973.jpg

IMGP4974.jpg

Helmet

IMGP4977.jpg

IMGP4978.jpg

Shins

IMGP4981.jpg

IMGP4980.jpg

Thighs

IMGP4986.jpg

Shoulder Plate

IMGP4984.jpg

IMGP4985.jpg

Gauntlet w/ phone holder.

IMGP4976.jpg

Spine plates

My girlfriend also wanted to try on the armor, so here's a few shots of her modeling it:

IMGP4939.jpg

IMGP4940.jpg

IMGP4945.jpg

IMGP4947.jpg

IMGP4952.jpg

IMGP4955.jpg

IMGP4958.jpg

IMGP4960.jpg

IMGP4967.jpg

The more I look at the armor, the more I feel the chest is grossly oversized. This is especially evident when you look at the back and the shadow from the overhang is so big, you wouldn't see the spinal plates unless you knew they were there in the first place. I'm probably going to trim a few inches around the arm loops and make the chest plate hug the body closer. If all else fails, I could make a new chest, but I loathe to do it. Especially since I'll be making a whole other set of armor in the next year (my girlfriend's, so be on the lookout for teal air assault :p).

The helmet feels a bit large too, kinda like a spartan bobble head. So I'm probably going to have a make a smaller helmet, but attempt to enlarge the opening on the bottom. At this size, the helmet is big, but the opening is actually too small to easily put the helmet on/off

AWESOME!! and I saw that you think that the chest is oversized.. I think it's PERFECT!! the only thing that looks a little over-sized is the helmet.. GOOD JOB THOUGH!!

id say its about 1-2cm bigger but its still good and barely noticeable i have the same thought on mine but its mostly how much space there is between the front and to the back so my suggestion is to put more padding in the back so that it forces the front to be closer to your chest and make the back more of a backpack its what im going to do with mine. some constructive criticism from me is the ab panel is a bit big and the ab plate is too far down and flat so try to heat form it a little curvier and tuck it just under your chest piece. check my build for a reference on it though i also eyeballed most of that area. but remember the models of these things are based on a roughly 7 foot tall hulking muscle mass of human. and you did a very amazing job with your build :)!

Thanks for the critiques. I'll definitely addressing the size of the chest at some point in the future. Especially the ab plate, I did notice it before comic-con, but due to the total lack of time to make a new connecting piece and plastidip it, I had to just let it be. My initial plan was to have some kind of velcro or attachment mechanism on the ab plate so it would conform to my body. I thinking of totally redoing the body suit as it's kinda a total mess, so the changes to the ab plate will probably coincide with that.

The real job is making another helmet. The current one is too big, but the neck opening is too small. And that's AFTER I trimmed off the bottom of the pattern. When I scale down the helmet, I'm going to have to kludge some of wider neck opening but still keep some kind of decent neck seal.

do not scale your helmet down anymore then a cm, it's pretty close to correct. What are you going to do about the visor not being connected at the bottom? I'd say go for a visor that has an air gap around it if you can, just use some mesh fabric to cover the seam so you can't look in. It would be really good for ventilation. The helmet is a bit big, but it really does need to be. Are your ears touching inside? I saw someone else who made a mostly foam gear who build a really awesome neck seal that included the bottom of the helmet, that would work well for you I think.

Also I second the idea of just making the back thicker, it pays out to build you up and make you look larger then you are. Also for the centre ab plate maybe a cummerbund? That is essentially an elastic band that goes around your chest, I'd put velcro on one end as hook, and then the end that's attacked to the ab plate put loop. When you put it on, put that part first, then slide into the chest core. Then a buckle on the top to attach it to the bottom of the chest piece.

That's similar to how i've seen storm trooper and clone troopers attach similar floating armour plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back