Ubuntu - Useless or the Greatest -blam!- since Sliced Bread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizophrenicMC

So, I tried installing and running Ubuntu, and I can't begin to wrap my head around how useless it is. The stock installation doesn't run any media, doesn't have Java (nor an easy method by which to install it), Firefox is buggy at best, the whole thing looks like it's trying to render at 800x600 when it's set to 1280x1024, and has a filesystem that looks like it was recursively created and filled.

I mean, it uses a third as much memory, and takes up significantly less space than Windows- any build since 98- but, Windows also comes, set up and running well, out of the box. (And that box is just as free when your machine came with it) So, why does everyone who has anything to do with computers extol Ubuntu, and defame Windows? Is it because only advanced users can understand it, and they're playing into the hipster factor?

I'm sure it can be made to run, somehow, but, I'm no noob with computers. I know my way around a command line, and I understand how these machines work. And, I couldn't get anything to run. I followed the instructions on the Java install page, to a t, and every install attempt failed. Trying to install Flash from the Software Manager failed the first 3 times, and filled my disk with useless data. Half of my install attempts from that program failed, anyway, and it kept adding to the cache instead of overwriting changed data. I started out with 4 gigabytes on-disk, and ended up with 128 megabytes after an hour of trying to make things work. I mean, jre6, Flash 10, and MPEG 1-layer and AVI codecs were all I tried to install, and my installs of all of those on my Windows machine, combined, are still in the megabyte range.

So, am I doing something wrong, or is Ubuntu actually useless? 0_o

Pretty Much Unbuntu is used for low quality systems like old laptops or computers (there is a version for everything). When you first install it its bare bones, You have to find Java,Flash, and drivers for your system from their data base(If they have them). It's mostly a command based system so unless you have extensive use of previous Linux systems or alot of time on your hands to really get to know how to use it I would stick with windows. I put it on my laptop 6 months ago and I'm still trying to figure everything out about it.

So, I tried installing and running Ubuntu, and I can't begin to wrap my head around how useless it is. The stock installation doesn't run any media, doesn't have Java (nor an easy method by which to install it), Firefox is buggy at best, the whole thing looks like it's trying to render at 800x600 when it's set to 1280x1024, and has a filesystem that looks like it was recursively created and filled.

I mean, it uses a third as much memory, and takes up significantly less space than Windows- any build since 98- but, Windows also comes, set up and running well, out of the box. (And that box is just as free when your machine came with it) So, why does everyone who has anything to do with computers extol Ubuntu, and defame Windows? Is it because only advanced users can understand it, and they're playing into the hipster factor?

I'm sure it can be made to run, somehow, but, I'm no noob with computers. I know my way around a command line, and I understand how these machines work. And, I couldn't get anything to run. I followed the instructions on the Java install page, to a t, and every install attempt failed. Trying to install Flash from the Software Manager failed the first 3 times, and filled my disk with useless data. Half of my install attempts from that program failed, anyway, and it kept adding to the cache instead of overwriting changed data. I started out with 4 gigabytes on-disk, and ended up with 128 megabytes after an hour of trying to make things work. I mean, jre6, Flash 10, and MPEG 1-layer and AVI codecs were all I tried to install, and my installs of all of those on my Windows machine, combined, are still in the megabyte range.

So, am I doing something wrong, or is Ubuntu actually useless? 0_o

When did nerd become hipster?

I can tell from your post that you are quite frustrated. :(

However, Ubuntu is a full fledge GUI OS for any computer - Old and new - It is based upon the Debian linux architecture and infrastructure. I use this a lot when diagnosing and repairing Window's based computers. Especially the "live" os that lives on the DVD.

Yes, it does require time to learn.

No it does not work like windows.

Yes, you do have to figure out how to install drivers, packages and applications yourself. From what you describe (graphics issue), it sounds like the video driver needs to be correctly configured and/or installed.

With the right application(s) it can run a wide variety of media... In fact mine can run blu-ray movies.

Basically the point that I am driving is that Ubuntu is not useless. I have been using linux for the last 18 years and still use it.

LONG LIVE LINUX

Cheers!

I used to duel boot ubuntu along with windows 7 not too long ago, but I stated running out of space on my HDD. Now that I have a second HDD, I should Install the latest version and re learn how to use it lol. Ubuntu is not useless if you know how to use it. I used to know how to use it to an extent but like I said in the statement before, I had to get rid of it. As a result, I have forgotten most of how it works (plus there have been three new versions of ubuntu with new features since then).

....Basically the point that I am driving is that Ubuntu is not useless. I have been using linux for the last 18 years and still use it.

I tried to install Ubuntu on my old HP that just went "poof". I couldn't figure out how to useit. I can tell you that without years of experience you can't squeeze any juice out of it. It is the same with using Microsoft Access. I use Access for more than 10 years and I can make a great reporting application out of it in 1 week. My colleagues on the other hand would not even turn it on unless Access is served on a sliver platter. :)

My problem is, despite my experience with command line interface, I still can't wrap my head around Terminal. For that matter, I don't understand why all installation should be relegated to the command line, when the other OS families switched to graphical installation so many years ago.

Ubuntu's stock install is useless, and, unless you can figure out how to install everything you need to put it on par with the other operating systems, you're boned. I mean, technical know-how is one thing, but this is re-learning everything I thought I knew. And, seriously, I followed Sun's directions to the T, to install JRE6. And it did not work. At all.

And Nerd became Hipster when nerds started drinking Pabst and wearing those geek-chic glasses to the wifi cafes. I know more hipster nerds, at this point, than conventional nerds. I cry about it sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back