Props Reach UNSC Trooper/Reach ODST Drop Leg Thigh Attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD2253

In the process of brainstorming ideas on how to attach the magnum side arm to the drop leg thigh attachment for the armor, I came up with this idea.

I used a piece of 0.25 gauge aluminum sheet lying around from a previous project and bent it 5 places to form box type of shape.
DSC01567.jpg

For the foam parts, I cut out the center pieces so that the aluminum part can be inserted through both foam pieces.
DSC01568.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

For the magnum, I screwed in two 8x3/4 size screws closer to the back end of the magnum. The concept is to slide the screws down the slots on the aluminum piece and lock in place just like most household items that attaches to walls.
DSC01567.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

Here is the view from the back side of the attachment. Bottom pic is in the locked position.
DSC01573.jpg

DSC01574.jpg

Here is how the magnum looks attached to the leg attachment. The bottom pic is how it looks right side up. It's very secure and it won't come out unless it's pulled out (safe from kids who likes to grab).
DSC01572.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

Please let me know what you guys think of this idea compared to the rare earth magnet concept.

Attachments

• DSC01567.jpg
    DSC01567.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 294
Aha! Very nice and creative idea here! I like it a lot! I'd say this is better in my opinion. Some people said they had issues with the Rare Earth magnets. I have a question however, how easy is it to remove and put on?

Again, VERY nice idea! Hopefully it'll catch on with a few people. I'll be sure to look at this when my time comes to build my armor!

Aha! Very nice and creative idea here! I like it a lot! I'd say this is better in my opinion. Some people said they had issues with the Rare Earth magnets. I have a question however, how easy is it to remove and put on?

Again, VERY nice idea! Hopefully it'll catch on with a few people. I'll be sure to look at this when my time comes to build my armor!

Thanks Taylor! Here is a short clip on how it attaches to the leg attachment. It all depends on how far the screw goes into the magnum so I would suggest to leave enough space so it can slide easily into the slots in the leg attachment.
http://youtu.be/ElS-DjqZLKg

This actually a really good idea, and all this time I had been playing around with, pssh, magnets and straps and such...

This is a great idea, and it seems to work great from the vid. I like this idea more than the magnets because it seems like it would be cheaper, plus there's no risk of random metal things getting stuck to your leg. Great work.

Thanks for the positive comments guys! I've had problems with attaching magnets in the past and they are a real pain because they will not stay attached. This is the only feasible method that I could think of to keep the sidearm attached to the armor without using rare earth magnets. It is a little intrusive to the magnum since you have to drill holes and put screws in it, but who will really notice the screws when you're trooping out there. I'm glad you guys find this useful and the best of luck to your builds.

Wow, that looks excelent! I think it looks better than the magnet route, and I would expect it would be a lot more secure. I really like that, and just may use it.

Great, now you have me seriously re-considering the use of magnets to attach my Magnum! lol ;) This is such a great idea, thanks for posting this as well as having good quality photos!

If you push inwards the top section of the circular openings, the pistol will slide right out in one pull. The way you have it, you have to pull up and slide it out, which I'm guessing can "catch" on the way up.

It does catch a little but it takes a bit of getting used to. I probably won't be pulling it out that much anyway since I will have my modded Nerf Recon MA-37 AR with me.

The detailed and illuminated thigh armor pieces Look awesome. Its nice to see it go from concept to finished product.

Great implementation of a great idea. I'll keep this in mind for when I do my MK VI armor. Jorge didn't carry a sidearm did he?

I'm with the others, sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. Thanks so much. It will take a little modding for my MK VI thighs but I already have a plan. You rock man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back