Reach Helmets Project *PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.

testdrive

Jr Member
I originally planned on doing just the Noble Team's helmets...but the other helmets are really awesome, so I'm throwing those in as well.
I finished the pep for Noble 6's helmet 2 days ago:
P5080379.jpg

Picture-14.jpg

Semi-finished the EOD...I'm having a bit of trouble. How did you guys attach the side parts to the helmet? I'm trying to figure out what the best method is, and keep it strong enough during the entire process...
P5100382.jpg

My ODST helmet is sitting around at my parents'. Haven't had a chance to work on it in a while because I haven't visited them in a while, hahaha.
IMAG0146.jpg

Scaled and printed out Carter's helmet, so that's next.

I live in an apt, so resin/bondo/sanding updates will be slow, but I'll post updates as I go. For now, most of them will be peps.
Just a warning, my updates will pretty much be random...school and work...but summer vacation is 5 weeks away...so hopefully updates will be more constant then.

Your pep work looks great! The back of Noble 6 is pushed in a bit is all I see that needs assistance, good job! Sorry about your grey face :( lol

Your pep work looks great! The back of Noble 6 is pushed in a bit is all I see that needs assistance, good job! Sorry about your grey face :( lol

Thanks! I've had a lot of scaling screw ups in the past so I got some good practice, hahah.
The back part of Noble 6's helmet...I studied the pep file and it looks like it's MEANT to be pushed in...but I have to check on some reference pics to double check that. Either way, it should be a quick fix if it should be popped out rather than in. :)

Hmmm, well in the pictures I used it looks rounded. I think its an issue with the pep personally. Youve used the same pep I have.

Here are links to the pics I used for reference, maybe they will help you with details later like they did me.

Helmet_Side.png
Helmet_Front.png

Helmet_Back.png

I had to fill that area in with bondo to smooth it out, but it looks good now, and is currently covered in silicone waiting for me to finish the mold.

Anyways, great work cant wait for more!

Ah, that makes sense now.

I can't wait until I can get to detailing on the helmet. Peps are tedious, though the end results are rewarding.

P.S. thanks for the reference pics, XD

Youre welcome, if you need more Im sure I can get them for you.

And detailing is the best part, its when you really get a chance to put yourself into it! Once I start, I cant stop. Probly why I dont consider any of my things done yet, lol

Oh heres a pic of one of my ODSTs if youre interested - http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/AriochX/P1000648.jpg - I saw yours and it looks like a great start!

Anyway, keep up the good work, Im gonna run off to bed soon. If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

Great job on the peping, I built the same EOD helmet that you built, the way I attached the air filter things to the side, I taped them into place from the inside, put a few little dabs of hot glue on the outside just to keep it in place then resined the outside, once the resin was dry they were pretty much stuck in place, then I just shoved pieces of fiberglass cloth underneath and now they are part of the helmet, but thats as far as I have gotten on the helmet, I started working on my Hayabusa, when I finish that build I think im going finish the EOD its one of my favorite Reach helmets, Keep up the great job, keep us posted

Great job on the peping, I built the same EOD helmet that you built, the way I attached the air filter things to the side, I taped them into place from the inside, put a few little dabs of hot glue on the outside just to keep it in place then resined the outside, once the resin was dry they were pretty much stuck in place, then I just shoved pieces of fiberglass cloth underneath and now they are part of the helmet, but thats as far as I have gotten on the helmet, I started working on my Hayabusa, when I finish that build I think im going finish the EOD its one of my favorite Reach helmets, Keep up the great job, keep us posted

This sounds like the logical way to do it.
I plan on using mud to harden the whole helmet instead of fiberglass...and I don't want to have to fill the parts with the rondo mix. It'll make the helmet really heavy, and that'll use up a lot of rondo. And if it's already attached to the helmet, it might be tough to get the nooks and crannies because I reinforced it with cardboard.
I think I'm going to resin/rondo them separately.....which means I have to figure out how to attach it before the sanding/detailing.

for the eod, i cut on that fold that is right on where they belong, and then glued them in place from the inside. i rondoed the filter things first though. check out my thread to see pictures;) always good to have female builders.

sorry about the vents :x they didnt seem like much an issue when i put em separate, i just wanted to have the option of the vents, or those geometrical shapes ;^;

sorry about the vents :x they didnt seem like much an issue when i put em separate, i just wanted to have the option of the vents, or those geometrical shapes ;^;

Oh, no need to apologize!! If anything, I think it allows for further customization.
I was only momentarily stumped as to how to best put it together without running into problems later down the line, when things are harder to fix. But seriously, your unfold is amazing and I am super grateful.

Asssssss for other news...I finished scoring Carter's helmet and have begun the long and terrible process of cutting everything out. Hopefully I'll get to actual glueing (gluing? why does that word look weird to me....) today.
Also printed out the HAZOP helmet (was thinking "whaaaaaaaaaat" the whole time).

AND! I'm going to see my parents this weekend, which means I'll have access to hardening supplies, so hopefully, lots of pictures soon!

Updates! I went to go visit my parents today, so I was able to work on the helmets a bit more.

Resin'd. Minor warpage on both of them...nothing that can't be fixed, though.
P5140391.jpg

Rondo'd. It was kind of freezing in the garage, so the rondo wasn't curing very well. I tried to get as much of it covered...but it's pretty thinned out.
P5140393.jpg

P5140397.jpg

I'll probably put on a 2nd layer of resin on the outside because the first layer was relatively thin. And I'll add 2 more layers of rondo.

And here I'm patching up the hole I made while sanding my ODST helmet. I could've sworn I made 2 holes, but I only found one. Weird.
P5140398.jpg

It'll be a while before I can work with rondo/resin again...but I'll have plenty of pepped stuff to work with by then!

This project is a very good idea. I have a friend who collects Star Wars helmets only. He said he will put them up on shelves with lighting when the time comes. Nice progress and keep up the good work!

Carter's helmet has been PAINFULLY slow. Not to mention...I've got a last round of midterms with finals coming up. ARGH!!!
And I'm running out of super glue.

P5220411.jpg

how did u make the inside of your helmets so smooth w/ the bondo putty? cause i want to see if i can do the same thing on my first helmet u know. plz reply.

how did u make the inside of your helmets so smooth w/ the bondo putty? cause i want to see if i can do the same thing on my first helmet u know. plz reply.

I made a half and half mixture of resin and bondo. I think most tutorials recommend 2/3 bondo with 1/3 resin, but I like my first layer of "rondo" to be nice and thin to get all the crevices nicely.

The tutorial i read actually called for the same mixture you use. Im planning to do a full set of noble team armor, so I may just have to go that route as well instead of the fiberglass. Nice work by the way! Looks amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back