Live Streaming of the Making of Spartan Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyokenseisou

So I decided I wasn't gonna post any of progress pics... But I thought "Hey, I occasionally do live streams of my armor work (and other costume stuff), why not share with the guys (and girls) here?" It's something new and different, and people can see LIVE how things are done.

[Can skip to the end if you want]
A little background about myself and maybe an understanding as to why I'm not posting progress pics... I've been making costumes for the past 6 years. I've always been artistly 'talented' (or so people say, I think it's just normal stuff for me) and so making things has always came natural to me. I'm a very quick learner and learn best with trial and error. Everything I know, is all self taught; I didn't go to school, I didn't 'pester' people for how they made their stuff (I'll occasionally ask their method of doing things to compare to mine).
When I first started making costumes, I started off with simple things, mostly with just fabric. Then I started working with other materials such as craft foam, resin, fur, etc. In 2009 I made a prop gun from the game Resistance and it was featured on many websites, even a magazine! (I have two copies. :3 One signed by Insomniac Games, and one for myself).
I voted against posting progress pics, because although by 405th standards I'm not 'Elite' because this is a new account and all (I tend to lurk more than post), but I definitely would not consider myself a noob, especially in costume making. I might change my mind down the road; as I like to share WIP's for other people to study/learn/question from. I'm one of those people like to how HOW something is made, not what is made.

And I'll say this now, I DO make fursuits (you'll see the odd head or two on my shelf), but I am NOT a furry by ANY means. I don't have anything against furries or whatever, but I just am NOT one. I make them because making fursuits is very easy for me and brings me in a lot of money (1000+ per suit...). And the only two suits I DO own and made, are of licensed characters and I consider them cosplay; I don't have a 'personal'/'fursona' suit or whatever you call it. So if you see a head in the bg, please don't go "ewww furry!!" or judge me etc... I feel the need to defend myself ahead of time, because 99% of the time, people are just too quick to judge and then automatically think bad things of me. I'd only consider myself 'weird' because I'm a girl who loves to play sports, bbq, can build a deck, is 'one of the guys', play video games, and isn't 300lbs lol. Odd I know. XD
[/skip]

Anyways, I just thought I'd give you gets a heads up that I'll post there to the link whenever I am doing a live streaming of the making of my armor (it's usually about twice a week atm, have to build the pieces to resin atm, will stream more often later).
I'll probably be doing one tomorrow.
(If I was smart, I would have posted this thread yesterday.... when I was fiberglassing my leg parts lol)
And unlike a lot of threads, this one will have pretty much constant updates and such; because I have to have it done by August, so I'll be working on it pretty much 24/7. The longest 'life delay' there'll be will be like two days here and there if I'm tired of working on it and need a break or have a bunch of errors to do. (I had a dream I was at PAX and I didn't complete my armor... I was crying the whole time. TT^TT)

And in case anyone is interested in watching non-armor related costume streams, I post links on my twitter.

Ok so I lied, I'll actually will be doing some resin/fiberglassing today. I finished up another piece so yeah. Will be streaming in about an hour (1:17PST right now)

I just got the chance to go over there and check it out, and after the little commercial, all I got was the camera getting turned off :(

I'll have to keep my eye out for the next one XD. I'm excited to see someone's actual progress on this, as the vids are so helpful to see how everyone goes about it with a little bit different of a technique.

I just got the chance to go over there and check it out, and after the little commercial, all I got was the camera getting turned off :(

I'll have to keep my eye out for the next one XD. I'm excited to see someone's actual progress on this, as the vids are so helpful to see how everyone goes about it with a little bit different of a technique.

Ah, so you were the 5th viewer I saw entering!

She uses spray-on release agent on her gloves against stickyness, that's an interesting detail I learned from watching :)

I watched for a bit! Forgive my ignorance, since you don't seem to have a WIP thread, but what armor are you working on? I'm pretty sure you were working in a Reach thigh piece and boots, but are you doing a personalized build, or a game character (i.e Kat, or Jun, etc)?

And as proof that I watched....nice praying mantis. ;)

Ah, so you were the 5th viewer I saw entering!

She uses spray-on release agent on her gloves against stickyness, that's an interesting detail I learned from watching :)

That actually sounds like an incredibly simple idea that makes me feel silly for not thinking of it myself, haha. Brilliant! I love learning something new! I can't wait to see some more progress. Tomorrow perhaps, since the Northwest is finally getting a little bit of sun?

Edit: Mid-north. Alberta isn't very western at all...

@Tsau: Yeah you must have just been entering as I was turning it off. I usually tend to only work in 1-2 hour segments, or if I run out of things to do (like today, that and I was fastly running out of resin...)
Mmm probably not tomorrow, I don't really have anything to resin right now (maybe a bit more on the thighs, but not worth wasting people's time with something like that) Maybe on the weekend when I have more things to resin. lol unless people REALLY want me to turn on my cam and watch me glue shiat together. Not really all that fun, but at least people would be keeping me company? lol
Gotta make an supply run on weekend too... Running out of resin and ran out of mixing cups, low on powdered fiberglass too.

@Spitfire: Yes, it's a Reach Spartan, personalized one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=18179339&id=814300402 (but with a black visor, not silver). I have a WIP thread on my facebook though, feel free to add me if you wanna keep updated like that
lolol thanks, She just shed a week ago and her wings grew in and she's now a full adult mantis. :3 So happy. <3 Like I said, one of many pets (dog, bird, chameleon, gridled lizard, haitian curly tailed, red eyed croc skink, 6 corn snakes, brazilian rainbow boa, common boa, and albino boa)

oh nice, you are lucky, i would like to be in a magazine but not play station (hate playstation) i would like to be in an xbox mag

lol I'm totally a playstation whore, so I was pretty happy. XD Though I do cheat on my PS with my xbox sometimes because we all know how relying the PS is..... XD

sorry for the double-post, but how do i find your Live Stream? i really wanna watch!

I post the link when I'm about to stream. So check back here in about an hour and there should be a link that'll take you there. Patience young grass hopper! lol

Will be streaming in a little bit here and it'll be a bit different.
Today, we'll be working on a DTD aka Duct tape dummy, to prep for the making of the undersuit at a later date. Then after, just gluing and assembling, then maybe some gaming later. And today, it'll be hosted on stickam, so other people can jump on cam if they so please to and show whatever they're working on. (Up to 6 other open cam slots)
The DTD part will sort of be like a tutorial. We'll show you how to make a full body dummy of yourself, so you can use it to make an undersuit, or fit your pieces on and you can see what looks right/wrong, etc.

Hope lots of people show up today. :3 Not only because I'll try to show something worth learning from, but because it's at a later time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back