Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Saber's Second Project- Agent Texas Style! (PIC HEAVY)

Saber's Agent Texas Build (PIC HEAVY)

Hey everybody! How are you doin'?
    I'm good, I'm good. Nuttin' much goin' on...

Except!

I've started my second set of armor! WOOT! XD

So for those of you who have seen my first project, some of you agree that my work wasn't too shabby. But NOW! (hahah, I'm kinda hyper right now...) I am going to make a second set of Mk VI armor that will be 10000000000000 times better than my first!

Now you ask, "But how, Sabes?"
    Well I'll tell you how...

1. I'm trying my hand at pep without numbered tabs
    2. I'm actually going to use bondo this time!
    3. I'm gunna make sure that the armor fits like a glove! (If you saw my first set, you'll know that some pieces weren't sized very well...)
    and 4. I'm gunna pep, resin, glass, etc. each section at a time. First, I'll start and complete the arms, then the legs, and then the helm, chest, and COD (I'm not sure which order I'll do the last three, but I'll figure that out once I get to that point of the build)

Okay, now I know you're itchin' to see pics. So here they are!

First! Let me show you my AR, Marine Pilot Helmet (From H3), and my handplates.

So here's some info about the marine helmet...

This is a helmet that my friends and I worked together to make. This was basically my "training session" for my friends so now they know how to work with pepakura.
    We, as a group, want to create armor and wear it for Kumoricon. We haven't met up recently, so we haven't been able to work on our group's armor much. But this is what we started with, if you don't include the marine shins we pepped too (sorry, no pics for that), and I am proud of my friends for wanting to learn to do stuff like this.

Now here are some closer looks at the AR-

Note: This is my THIRD attempt at pepping an AR and I am, again, really proud of this!
    Yes, this has numbers on the tabs, but I didn't want to try pepping something as complex as THAT without numbers. What makes this AR so different, as you can see, is that I actually tried to keep it straight. I went kinda crazy with my box of popsicle sticks (they weren't used...) and tried to reinforce every bit of that dang thing! I have yet to put the top on it, but I'll get to it soon. I'm sorry if it looks a little warped in the second pic, I assure you it's just the way I angled the camera.

So here are the handplates, and the start of my actual armor project!

They were my first pieces without using numbers on the tabs and I was happy with how I did. Because the hand is so easy, I didn't even use my lappy (laptop) to help me remember which parts went where.

Next, are the shoulder pieces! Huzzah!

The first shoulder I pepped, I decided that I wanted to experiment with the size a little. I wanted the shoulder "cap" to overlap my actual shoulder a little bit so I corrected the resizing option to be longer.
    When I pepped it...
    (I know I'm setting myself up for a nasty "that's-what-she-said" joke, so calm down)
    I was like "Woah... That's big..." O^O; I showed it to my dad, and he said it looked like it could fit Hulk Hogan (Thanks, dad...).

After bringing down the size a little bit (quite a bit, actually), I repepped the right shoulder and it turned out perfect. It was a little bigger than the shoulders that I made for my last build, but I wanted that because the First Project's shoulders were a little too small.
    Because the pep was just right, I continued on and pepped the left shoulder. So now I have two! (Good to know that you can count, Sabes...)
    Here is a pic of my left shoulder:

The bicep is a little iffy, I know, but I'll fix it later. The right shoulder bicep looks perfect.

Here's a pic of my Hulk Hogan Shoulder (left) next to my "Take Two" Right shoulder (right). The difference is definately noticeable.

All right, guys and gals, that's what I've got for you today.
    Be sure to stay tuned and hang tight, I'm almost at the end of my senior year in high school so it may be a while before I post anything else; you never know.

Thanks for checkin' out my thread! Please comment and critique!

Cheers
    Last edited by Saber; 06-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.

The more I look at other peoples work the more I wanna get started on this asap! Stupid other projects holding me up >.>

I'm new to this and don't really see the benefit of pepping without numbers... is there an actual benefit? its not like the numbers show up onthe finished product either way...

Quote Originally Posted by EuphoricDorian View Post
    The more I look at other peoples work the more I wanna get started on this asap! Stupid other projects holding me up >.>
    I know what you mean about other things getting in the way. My Senior year in high school has definately held me back from doing much on ths project and the projects that I have started with my friends. All I know is that when my senior year has ended (which will be fairly soon), I'll be back into armor building and hopefully I'll get a part-time job to actually pay for my own projects instead of having my parents provide for my costuming endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by tygo View Post
    I'm new to this and don't really see the benefit of pepping without numbers... is there an actual benefit? its not like the numbers show up onthe finished product either way...
    In my personal opinion, I think getting rid of the numbers helps because the numbers can get in the way of where lines should be cut and folded. Also, the numbers can get cramped (especially in the HD files) and you can't tell what numbers are what. When I use my computer for reference (using viewer to select pieces and such) the program points out which piece of the "puzzle" goes where.
    If you're new to pepping and aren't quite sure how to do this, I would just go ahead and pep WITH the numbers. Just be warned that the smaller pieces will most likely have colliding numbers so you would have to find the numbers around it to figure out which pieces go where.

I wish you good luck on your projects and I hope they turn out well!
    Last edited by Saber; 05-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.

I think your braces are actually pushing the sides of the rifle outward. Make sure they don't do that when you resin it.
    Work safely! Here's how.
    "A dropped tool can be a workplace hazard. Be more careful next time!" -Seven of Nine; Star Trek: Voyager, Someone to watch over me

Quote Originally Posted by ventrue View Post
    I think your braces are actually pushing the sides of the rifle outward. Make sure they don't do that when you resin it.
    Good point and hanks for the advice! I'll be sure to watch it. I would be very pissed if all my hard work in that darn thing went to waste. hahah

Cool School is out... Time for some major building!

Hey guys!
    School's out and I'm ready to get a-goin' on my costume!

For starters, I have resined the marine pilot helmet, the hand pieces, the shoulders, and a gauntlet that I finished pepping yesterday (I'm starting to pep the second one tonight).
    Because I don't have a garage or shop of any sort, I have to leave my stuff outside.

Usually, that's not something I'm would be worried about, but there's a chance of rain tonight and there has been a strange appearances of beetles around my house, so my quick solution was to cover it up with foil and hope that the pieces will be finished curing in the morning. Or cured enough that I can put a second layer of resin on them...
    A cool thing I discovered during the resining portion is when the ink used to crease the paper mixes with the resin and kinda creates a tie-dye effect on the paper. I forgot to take pictures before I wrapped it up in foil, so I'll post the pics tomorrow.

Another thing checked off on my list is my AR. I finally finished pepping it after putting it off for a while. The outside bulges out a tiny bit and some spots aren't the prettiest, but I hope that by actually using bondo this time for my project, it won't look as bad.

This is a pic of me with my AR in scale. I just wanna make sure that it's not too big or too small. I'm confident I did well on the sizing on this one!

Don't panic! The AR did not grow! I was just bringing the AR more towards the camera so you guys can see the AR better.

Here are my Goof-Ups and not-so-pretty parts of the AR.
    I know that it's not exactly straight, but it's better than my pervious attempts so I'll call it a keeper.

Thanks for lookin' at my thread and be sure to comment and critique! Tips would be very helpful too!

Cheers!

Nice job on the AR. I've been meaning to make a gun for some time now, how hard is the AR to pep?

Quote Originally Posted by NayrDeathExperience View Post
    Nice job on the AR. I've been meaning to make a gun for some time now, how hard is the AR to pep?
    Well seeing that this is my THIRD attempt at constructing an AR. Let's just say it ain't a walk in the park. hahah :P Keeping the darn thing straight is a pain in the butt and it took me the third try to figure to try to use the batons. The LD version is pretty easy to put together and the HD version is complex and sometimes hard to read if you have the numbers showing on the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Well seeing that this is my THIRD attempt at constructing an AR. Let's just say it ain't a walk in the park. hahah :P Keeping the darn thing straight is a pain in the butt and it took me the third try to figure to try to use the batons. The LD version is pretty easy to put together and the HD version is complex and sometimes hard to read if you have the numbers showing on the file.
    Hmm alright, I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll make a LD first and then if I want more detail I might try the HD.