My First WIP (Grenadier Helmet Build//Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Onagan

My first pep build so go easy on me :p, comment, suggestions, and constructive criticism are welcome :D

Grenadier Helmet Pepfile by: raziel1981
Unfolded by: Brandon McClain

Grenadier Helmet Pep.
dfsrfte.jpg

Applied Resin & Surface Mat
dfsrfte1.jpg

Cutting pep visor off
dsadaf.jpg

Very clean pepping for your first go! Crazy clean, actually.

It seemed to have warped a bit, if it were me I would've filled the inside with plastic bags, then resinned the outside first. THat tends to help keep the shape.

Looks good though :D

NOt bad on a first attempt

There are a few things I see that I remember doing and had wished someone would have helped me out with. First thing I saw was it looks like you need more resin on the outside which should be your first step; I generally go two to three coats. On the inside, I use to live by fiberglass cloth but I found that the rondo method works a hundred times better (in my opinion). It will then be very hard and then your good to go as far as cutting parts out.

Heres a visual reference of what I'm talking about

So here is what it looks like after three coats of resin
photo-1.jpg

Then here is the inside after the bondo / resin mixture aka rondo
photo-2.jpg

And then heres what it should look like after its all hardened
photo-3.jpg

This is the point you can start changing things, sanding things down and basically progressing forward.

Sometimes its hard knowing where someone is coming from by just reading text so I hope this helps

Edit: and this is good for reference on rondo

UPDATE: I'm about to apply bondo, any tips?

looking good what color are you going to paint it?
Thanks! I was thinking of using Blue as my primary color and then apply Steel and Black on the details

Very clean pepping for your first go! Crazy clean, actually.

It seemed to have warped a bit, if it were me I would've filled the inside with plastic bags, then resinned the outside first. THat tends to help keep the shape.

Looks good though :D

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind

NOt bad on a first attempt

There are a few things I see that I remember doing and had wished someone would have helped me out with. First thing I saw was it looks like you need more resin on the outside which should be your first step; I generally go two to three coats. On the inside, I use to live by fiberglass cloth but I found that the rondo method works a hundred times better (in my opinion). It will then be very hard and then your good to go as far as cutting parts out.

Thanks for the references :D Awesome stuff you got there!

UPDATE: I'm about to apply bondo, any tips?

Don't cover the entire thing, only what you plan to smooth out. I'd also suggest sanding down the vertexes in the resin before-hand so you don't have to use as much bondo, as it can get a tad expensive. If money isn't an issue though, it would be better to just go right int othe bondo.

UPDATE: Applied bondo and started sanding the Grenadier helmet (my first time to apply bondo on anything ._. ) I had to do the sanding manually because i have no mouse sander or a dremel tool. Any tips?

That big clear spot on the helmet is fiberglass resin :| my sister accidentally poured some on, i had to sand it down -.-"
bondo-1.jpg

Here is my facebook photo dump album if you'd like to see more pictures of the build! Thanks for viewing my build! Keep building 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back