Props Noobs MA37 Assault Rifle from cardboard (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshon

Hi guys,

I've posted this here because it's really the first time I've posted any type of construction work. I've made lots of props for various things before, but I thought some of you might be interested in this one.

A friend asked me to build the rifle to complete his Halo suit. I decided to make the entire thing out of cardboard, reinforced internally and with each layer coated in PVA to offer some basic weather protection.

Stage one, a 20mm sandwich of card, I assembled a set of templates to make this.

ma37_wip_04_by_marshon-d3gfr2h.jpg

The side elements were cut from dense card, the barrel assembly was made from bits of plastic pipe, card and a bottle top. The grip is a piece of pipe lagging.

ma37_wip_07_by_marshon-d3gim2p.jpg

The side pods use a ladder frame construction clad in card.

ma37_wip_09_by_marshon-d3gk975.jpg

The ammo counter (which will be LED backlit was made from two sheets of acrylic and two printed papers. The rear printed paper was scalpel cut to allow more light through in those areas.

ma37_wip_12_by_marshon-d3gk9hb.jpg

The grip and mag were built up from layers of card and foamies. I will use some spackle paste to fill out the grip.

ma37_wip_16_by_marshon-d3go9pb.jpg

The shoulder stock is a three card and two foam tile laminate. carved with a Dremel. the back plate is foamies again.

ma37_wip_19_by_marshon-d3gq95j.jpg

Additional foamies were used to create the grip textures, starting to take shape now.

ma37_wip_21_by_marshon-d3gt639.jpg

Test lit counter

ma37_wip_23_by_marshon-d3gvjr5.jpg

Scope front / battery box built and test fitted

ma37_wip_24_by_marshon-d3gzmix.jpg

Scope centre / switch box assembled.

ma37_wip_25_by_marshon-d3gzmll.jpg

All the main elements assembled and wired up. With a few additional details and some cleaning up it will be ready for paint.

ma37_wip_27_by_marshon-d3gzmsl.jpg

I'll post more pics of the finished weapon if anyone might be interested.

Si

Wow this is shaping up to be elite forum material for sure. Looks amazing! Way to join the forums with a bang, enjoy your stay.

Can't wait for the next update.

Hi Si, tis I, Vince :)

Nice to see you here and a wonderful build.

Worthy of elite status I think (I may be a bit bias) but a cracking job anyway!

Wow, this should be stickied as an example for a good first post.
(Although you forgot to introduce yourself. Shame on you! :-D)

Here's an update .....

Construction phase is now completed. I've cleared the bench, cleaned my tools and waiting for the glue to set properly before painting can commence. Probably 3 to 4 hours yet.

I've deliberately left out one or two details, but overall I'm happy with the results at this stage.

ma37_wip_28_by_marshon-d3h0wyb.jpg

ma37_wip_29_by_marshon-d3h0x0r.jpg

ma37_wip_30_by_marshon-d3h0x34.jpg

ma37_wip_31_by_marshon-d3h0x69.jpg

I'll keep updating as the paint goes on.

Si

Wow... that is awesome...

<<
>>

I mean... um... completely wrong...

You should give it to me for proper disposal.

:p

I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed with the first few photos, but towards the end, I was blown away! Incredible work, probably the most detailed AR I've seen without CNC-ing one (and even then, it might be better). Considering how well constructed this it, I'm confident you'll do it justice with a equally awesome paint job, and I can't wait to see it.

Welcome to the 405th!

Been following your progress on deviantart. Impressive stuff.

Anyway to get the ammo counter fully illuminated? I'd suggest EL sheet, but it may not be bright enough for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back