My First Build, Let's Start Small... (Jorge DONE, Heavy Machine Gun WIP, Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonus

...by jumping right into Jorge S-052!

I'm a big guy (6'3", 230 lbs) and he's my favourite Spartan in Reach, so why not?

Call me optimistic, but I'm hoping to have this finished by the end of August for Fan Expo in Toronto. Here are the files I'm using:

Jorge Helmet Unfolded by Brandon McClain
New Jorge Torso, Unfold by carpathiavh99
Handplate by Ruze
Bicep (left) Unfolded by McPrimus
Bicep (right) Unfolded by McPrimus
Forearm Unfolded by Jason02
Jorge Right Shoulder by Rhinoc
Grenadier Shoulder MS7 (This is the best model/unfold I've seen for this shoulder. I highly recommend it. Not sure who made it though.)

(I'll update the rest as I get to them. I do have them all downloaded, but some of them I need to trace back to where I found them)

I was feeling ambitious so I started with the helmet:
IMG_8735.jpg

I used hot glue and some extra card stock of a colour my wife didn't seem to care for, so I'm not sure the thickness.
IMG_8736.jpg

As you can see I didn't pep the visor part, I just didn't see the point if I had to cut it out later. Now I can see that it would've helped with some support. The visor hole looks very compressed because the top isn't properly supported. Hopefully I can find a way to just add some support inside.
IMG_8737.jpg

It's a pretty big helmet, but that's because I have a pretty big head. The neck hole is just wide enough that my ears scrape against it as I put it on, but it's a good fit once I'm inside. I can even wear my glasses under it!
IMG_8738.jpg

And with the attachment:
IMG_8740.jpg

I've now started on the chest piece. I'm going about it a different way. For Halloween last year I made another Spartan costume, but it was rushed and didn't turn out too well (see my profile picture), but I still have some left over supplies from it. One of the best things I learned from that "build" was to love pink insulation foam. It's pretty easy to cut with an exacto knife, very light, and very sturdy. I've decided to do a pepakura/foam hybrid with this material. I'm only using it for the bigger flat pieces and then using my card stock around them. We'll see how it goes. If it doesn't seem right it won't be too hard to disassemble the paper from the foam and go all pep. Here's the progress so far:
IMG_8742.jpg

And me in it for scale reference:
IMG_8746.jpg

I'm filling hollow pieces with expanding sealer foam. I did this for the helm's attachment too, but didn't take a picture.
IMG_8741.jpg

I think I started this a week ago today, maybe? It was a long weekend for me, so I pretty much just worked on the helmet for at least two days straight. I've got a lot of movie watching done. :D

Comments/criticism/castration welcome.

It looks like you are off to a great start. Be sure to keep us posted.

you're going to Fan Expo in Toronto? Me too! I guess I'll see you there. I'll be in my Noble Six!
BTW, the build is coming along great : P

you're going to Fan Expo in Toronto? Me too! I guess I'll see you there. I'll be in my Noble Six!
BTW, the build is coming along great : P

I better step up my game and pick up my pace if I'm to be seen there with you. Your Noble 6 is amazing. We should see if we can find any Noble 1-4s to join us.

I better step up my game and pick up my pace if I'm to be seen there with you. Your Noble 6 is amazing. We should see if we can find any Noble 1-4s to join us.

You shouldn't worry, you have enough time :p We'll have a Marine Pilot coming :) I saw a couple of 405thers last year :p

So, the past two nights I've spent trying to do a poor-man's resining with this "contact cement" I found. I now have two coats, inside and out, of this stuff on my helmet and unless I come home after work to find some miraculous curing action going on, I think it's a lost cause. The structure of the pep is still fine. I guess it's a little bit more rigid, but not the outcome I was looking for.

I think I just need to suck it up and go for the rondo method. This is going to be a busy weekend for me, but I think if I can get my materials from Canadian Tire tonight I might be able to do the inside.

Canadian Tire definatly has Bondo and Fibgerglass Resin. If youre going to do just Rondo, make sure you have a sturdy enough pep piece, with atleast one coat of resin so it doesn't warp.

If you want some advice, it's alittle more work but makes each piece a lot stronger, cut up some 1 inch by 1 inch fiberglass squares and when you pour the rondo on the inside of the piece, sink the fiberglass squares into the mixture. The product becomes so much stronger! I used only Rondo on my armour and it's really fragile, especially the legs because they're in a lot of motion. If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me on here.

Looks good so far! The helmet doesn't look too bad, but yes, the paper visors are there for a reason. :) Good luck on the rest of the build, I'll be keeping an eye out for more progress.

Yeah, I definitely saw all the stuff I need last time I was there, and I was going to go for it but then chickened out and got the cheap stuff.

My main reason for not wanting to go toxic is because I don't have a great area to work in. I live in a basement apartment and don't have access to a garage. Our entrance is a stairwell at the back of the garage that goes outside. It's pretty small, but I think if I have the outside door open and a fan on I can keep fumes under control. Only problem is it's our only way in or out. It's fine if I'm out there wearing protection, but if stuff is lingering is it really safe to be walking through it?

I could do it at a friend's with a good space, but that's pretty inconvenient if I'll be doing it a lot. I guess I just need to pray for good weather so I can do it outside.

Not really, because it's still lingering :)

You can use Aqua Resin, that's non-toxic.

Yeah, I was looking into that after hearing someone (maybe you?) recommend it. It seems a lot more expensive than the Bondo fg resin. I know it's been said many times that this hobby isn't cheap. I think I'll sleep on this for a while and just work on pepping. I think I'm getting ahead of myself by wanting to see the helmet finished because it's like the pièce de résistance.

I haven't updated in a while because I haven't had a lot of time to work on anything. The past two weekends I've had two weddings, a birthday, an engagement photoshoot, and my own anniversary. I don't have a lot of time on weekdays due to working full-time, a 1.5 hour commute, and recently starting a course to earn a Cisco Certification. Nonetheless, I have managed to finish the chest piece:

SAM_8969.jpg

SAM_8968.jpg

I just need to a few of the detail pieces on the back:
SAM_8970.jpg

And I'm going to do a bit more cardboard reenforcing:
SAM_8971.jpg

So it's not totally finished, but it's close enough that I thought I'd show you all.

I haven't fully decided on how I'm going to harden it, but I'm right now leaning towards paper macheing with wood glue. I've entertained the idea of Aqua Resin and Smooth Cast, but if this cheap method does the trick enough for my liking I'll stick with it. I'm just going to start on the inside of the chest as a test to start, we'll see how that goes.

I found and used plaster wrap for hardening my helmet. It's only one layer inside and out so far, but it's pretty hard. There are a few areas I'll go over again so it's structurally sound, but I think this works very well.

260000_10150207138829536_508064535_6816681_4754048_n.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know if I can use this method for every piece. I paid $9 for a roll of 8'x180' and I've already used the majority of it. I can't imagine how much I'd need for the chest alone.

A bit of sanding is obviously needed, but I think the bondo will smooth it out much more when it's applied.

Definitely some great work there. Looks like you are moving along nicely.

Here's a question I'd like some input on:

As a Halo fan, do think I should include Jorge's backpack in my build? I know I won't have time to make his chaingun, and that's really what the backpack is for. If I were to walk around without the pack would you cry "inaccurate!" or "I respect the fact that you are not wearing it since you don't need it without the gun"?

You never see him not wearing it in the game (I think), so would it just be better to wear it anyway? On the weekend I started to build it out of that pink foam (though my wife tells me it's actually purple), but I didn't get too far because this question came to mind. What do you guys think?

--

Also, last night I had almost finished my left upper arm piece (though the file says right) and I had to try it on. It looks a little big, but I think it matches the scale of the chest piece since I'm generally a big guy. Once I had the arm on I had to put on my other pieces. Even though it was just the chest, helmet, and unfinished upper arm I felt like a beast. I can not wait to complete this!

I'd do the backpack. When I think of Jorge I think of a bulky Spartan II tank (basically). The backpack kind of reinforces that idea in my head. Jorge wouldn't look like Jorge without a lot of his bulk.

If I were to walk around without the pack would you cry "inaccurate!" or "I respect the fact that you are not wearing it since you don't need it without the gun"?

You never see him not wearing it in the game (I think)

You do actually see Jorge without his pack, in the last cutscene on The Long Night of Solace, when he's arming the slipspace bomb.

**BIG TIME STORY SPOILERS IN LINKED VIDEO** for anyone who hasn't played Reach:
http://youtu.be/GSgGBrrgvek

Nice work on the build so far, Jorge was my favorite Spartan in Reach and I love seeing these builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back