A little help with an Energy Sword would be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan017

Jr Member
Okay, so for my first costume, I plan to build an Energy Sword, one of my favorite Covie weapons. And I just HAVE to make it light up! I'm going to buy some blue LEDs, but I don't know how to get them inside the sword. I don't know what material to use to make it clear and have LEDs inside it. If nobody knows how to do this, then I'll use my other idea. I'll make a sword out of Styrofoam or something, then add a little bit of blue spray paint (a light blue) and make it fade as you go down the blade. Then I'll wire the wires down the blades, and put the LEDs on the sides, and have both wires connected to a battery in the handle. Then, to finish it, I'll wrap it up in clear packing tape, to make it look even better, and protect the LEDs.

You could make a sculpt out of whatever, mold it and cast a hollow shell out of clear plastic and put the LEDs and stuff in there, and do the fade paint job over it.

Well, how much would materials cost for all that? I don't have a whole heck of a lot of money (actually, none, until my B-Day in July. Hopefully I'll get some $$$...) If they cost a lot, the I can't. I need to buy fiberglassing materials or foam, paint, and then LEDs, and then maybe even plastic to melt! Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go with the other idea... To be cheaper...

Oh, if money is an issue then there are other alternatives you could use. Molding and casting supplies usually aren't too cheap.

Try plexi-glass! :D

Yep, that's the way i'd go. Glue the 5mm LEDs into small holes drilled in the base, then mount batteries and switch in the handle.
Like this?

sword.jpg

If you don't want it clear, use EL tape. It's pretty much the Tron stuff, but double side it.

I was just looking into doing this as my gf decided she wants to be the arbiter for next years con. The cheapest, most effective way that I've seen so far is plexi-glass with some EL wire, and I was planning to paint the blade a see-through white so it glows the correct color without seeing the actual lights. Make sure to post some pictures as you start to construct it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back