Saggateron and His All Irish Custom Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggateron

So finally after about three weeks of building One Single Shin I'm finished the one right hand side shin! Thank frak!

So my armor will be my custom armour and I'm going to attempt to keep a record of what I have spent money on all prices will be in euros.

ref_pic_by_saggateron-d46eas5.png

This thread will run parallel to Nesbitt101's thread, i.e same idea.

The main differences are that he is in America using dollars. I'm using a glue gun not super glue like Nesbitt101.
I will be attempting to provide this service for the nich sector of the forum members in Ireland.

As far as materials are involved, I'm using:
200gsm paper HP lexmark brand €13.00
An Aldi glue gun €10.00
Locktite Glue sticks €6.00
Cutting knife €5.00
Spare Blades €2.50

Resources:
[modeller, unfolder]
All unmentioned parts are from the complete Noble 6 package on the 1st page of the Official Halo Reach Pepakura Thread [rundown; Brandon McClain]
Shins [Forgedreclaimer, Ral Partha]
Boot Toe [AceNat, AceNat]
Boot Heel [Ruze789, Carpathiavh99]

Pictures:

http://fav.me/d3jfjkk

SHIN
armour_pics_by_saggateron-d3jfjkk.jpg

SHIN AND KNEE
P8230025.JPG

BOOT ARMOUR WITH BOOT YET TO BE PAINTED
P8250003.JPG

TIPS
(P.S. This will save your fingerprints, hopefully)
1. DO NOT buy a cheap glue gun like mine, fork out the cash for a good solid model. (I have broken the trigger on mine and now controll the feed rate manually........it sucks)

2. PLAN,
-Firstly I'd recommend starting at the bottom and workin upwards, but dont start with the boots because they are very small and intricate. So go for the shins.
-Get your scale factor right the first time and then you wont have rebuild issues cause your armour is 5 times too big.
-Set deadlines for yourself for example "I will have both shins done in 1/2 weeks/days" whatever, that way you are working towards a goal and the scale of the project wont overwhelm you.

3. So your first part is printed, scaled and you're ready to go. I would recommend scoring a full page of parts then cutting them all together. this means that you can do a large section in one gluing session.

[OPEN A WINDOW WHEN USING HOT GLUE]

-Glue guns = if it comes with a power cord and says it can be used while constantly plugged in then do that. I broke mine by using it cordless and the glue cools in the gun, then you force it and the trigger breaks.

4. When cutting I suggest to make all the parrallel cuts together, ie you dont change the angle on the ruler, it saves lots of time in the long run.

5. Be fast. Once you apply the glue you've got about 10-20 seconds before it cools to the point where its useless.

All comments greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kinda hard to judge from the photo, but it looks like the front section of your shin piece comes down almost on top of you foot. Just looking at the pic I have of my armour from Vanity, the same bit should stop about 10-15 cm above the "joint". Will you be able to move your foot up and down in this current position with this piece?

Are the shins forgedreclaimers custom shin pieces, or Halo Reach shins?

judging from your photo it does seem that way but while i was working on the knee pads i realised that the fj/para knees will sit on top of my shin at the front also my calf barely fits into the top of the shin so it fits that way i suppose ill see when i get the boots done.

Ummm.........I think I should point out that in the first picture............you are wearing the shin piece backwards! XD I'm guessing you scaled the knee piece to match up with that area of the shin, thus making it look WAY TOO small!!! D:

You need to turn that shin piece around. XD Maybe then you can get a better measurement for the knee piece and it won't look so tiny anymore. :p

the knee piece shown was my first test at pepakura its made from blue paper and pvc it was a test to see how hard the project would be. I have since made it to scale, which now looks way too big and the shin may also be too large.

Starting again would probably kill all of my enthusiasm for it but i'll upload some more pics soon and you can give me your honest opinion

all input is greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back