ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzahalon

Jr Member
Hello 405th members, I've decided that since I loved Halo 3 ODST the game so much I would start working on my armor. I've been using Hugh's files, which btw I recommend to anyone starting a project like this, really easy to put together. Thank you Hugh. This is my 2nd attempt to make a helmet because the first one didn't turn out so well but I've learned alot from it. Here's some pics of what I have right now.
035.jpg

037.jpg

sorry about the pictures, my camera is not that great. Im going to be working on the chest next, just had surgery today so going to be out of work for 3 weeks, give me some time to get some more done.

Nice, the second picture makes it look a little warped on the side though, and in the fourth it looks really tall for some reason.

yeah, its not warped, it looks like it but right now if you were to look on the inside I have it all held together by butterfly clips, I'm going to glue it together tomorrow and take all the clips off. wishing i could put it on now lmao, really excited.

Ok guys and gals, today I finished gluing the helmet, I took all the butterfly clips out. I did leave some in to hold the visor. Didn't want to glue it in because i plan to use it to vaccum form my plastic visor. let me know what ya'll think, tips would be nice. Also I plan on using aqua resin to harden the outside and fiberglassing for the inside, then bondo to smooth it out.
011.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

yeah, its not warped, it looks like it but right now if you were to look on the inside I have it all held together by butterfly clips, I'm going to glue it together tomorrow and take all the clips off. wishing i could put it on now lmao, really excited.

Ok guys and gals, today I finished gluing the helmet, I took all the butterfly clips out. I did leave some in to hold the visor. Didn't want to glue it in because i plan to use it to vaccum form my plastic visor. let me know what ya'll think, tips would be nice. Also I plan on using aqua resin to harden the outside and fiberglassing for the inside, then bondo to smooth it out.
006.jpg

still working on the chest... have I told anyone that little pep folds suck! well they do, hopefully will have some more pictures put up this weekend

nice work man, are you using 110 lbs. cardstock? it looks a little flimsy, but maybe its just the way im looking at it. but really clean pep work

yeah, I'm using the 110lbs card stock, most likely going to remake that visor tho, that and when I go to fiberglass the outside of the helmet I need to blow up a balloon to open it up a little more so i can slide my head on it a tad easier. This may be considered "cheating" but let me know what y'all think, cause I'm having a hard time doing the chest piece. I was going to buy this http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=A6kGTpLuLJSCtge1xoXGDQ&ved=0CGQQ8gIwAA and build the main chest part on the ODST's and some how strap it to the vest in the middle? If I do buy this then I can go ahead and pep the core chest part and move into the shoulders. But let me know what y'all think.
Btw thank you, this is my first attempt at making armor, so I'm trying my hardest to make it look good and kinda comfy, any tips would be really NICE :)

yeah, I'm using the 110lbs card stock, most likely going to remake that visor tho, that and when I go to fiberglass the outside of the helmet I need to blow up a balloon to open it up a little more so i can slide my head on it a tad easier. This may be considered "cheating" but let me know what y'all think, cause I'm having a hard time doing the chest piece. I was going to buy this http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=A6kGTpLuLJSCtge1xoXGDQ&ved=0CGQQ8gIwAA and build the main chest part on the ODST's and some how strap it to the vest in the middle? If I do buy this then I can go ahead and pep the core chest part and move into the shoulders. But let me know what y'all think.
Btw thank you, this is my first attempt at making armor, so I'm trying my hardest to make it look good and kinda comfy, any tips would be really NICE :)

that is a good idea but when i was going to do my odst i always had an idea like this:
chestrig.jpg

just buy some straps that you use to strap your armor for this im pretty sure they sell it at walmart

then you put this rig on first and clip it, then put the back/ neck piec over it to hide the straps on your neck and back

thanks everyone! chest core is done, putting pictures up soon, was going to fiberglass the helmet today but its raining... boooo!!

hello guys, finally had a chance to experiment with fiber glassing.... and wow it turned out pretty good for the first time. I just used my dummy helmet because I didn't want to mess up my armor. sorry i havent posted any pictures my moms dog chewed up the camera cord so i have to go buy another. both shoulders are done, working on the wrists. once i get the cord ill have a good update :)

securedownload.jpg

heres an updated picture of the helmet, taking pictures with my phone so please bare with me. Need to bondo alittle more and sand it down. then im going to vaccum form my visor and start painting. whats a good material to use for padding the inside?

ok guys and gals have a little up date for you. I have this whole week off work so I plan to get as much done as I can. My helmet is about 95% done, need to do some touch ups and add padding and lights,and visor. A little sanding is going to be done as well. but heres some pics. also need to fix the stripe down the middle, not even. Im pretty happy with what i got so far since its my first.
helmet4.jpg

visorunfinished.jpg

helmet.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet2.jpg

odst.jpg

heres a quick little update, Ive been very busy lately Ive moved into my own first house, also got ingaged to my GF and to top that off I finally got around to building a vacuum forming machine and made a visor lmao. Im not to happy with the battle damage or the main body paint, so im going to redo the paint job. Before I do that tho im going to go back and add some details that I missed, also fix up the chin area, not to happy with that. I used velcro tape to install the visor, seems to work really well. The visor it self is made out of PETG .30 thickness, easy to form and I used VHT nightshade spray paint to make the visor black, only one coat. DSCN1454_zps2e67d3b8.jpg DSCN1452_zps3cfdac96.jpg DSCN1450_zpse8f0b465.jpg

A ODST build! I thought the ODSTs were gone! Anyway it's looking very good. Keep up the awesome work!

thanks dylan, so ive decided to switch it up a bit and try the foam method. I have to say I love the foam method its alot quicker. Ill have some pictures of 2 thighs I have done when I get home. Also there are little gaps from the bends between each piece is there anything i can use to fill in these gaps and wont effect the foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back