Daft punk Guy helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjeevah

Bit rough around the edges, lots I'd do differently next time, but not too bad for a first attempt at this kind of thing I reckon -

2mwulxw.jpg

Yeah electronics, only the real basics though, no arduino. Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, they both look amazing! After my Mark VI build, my friend wants me to make us both a Daft Punk helmet, but I haven't searched for the pep files yet. Was yours made of pep? Or a scratch build? Either way, props to you!

Yep pep, a fantastic one by David Reimer. Unfortunately no longer available, he took it down after people started claiming it was their own and using it to make money from! There are other peps available but they have less pieces on the dome, which means more filling and sanding to get a nice rounded finish.

Progress:

Progress as promised, sorry for the delay!

Pep:
o6cjgi.jpg

Pep sticking:
2ijgqb.jpg

Pep complete:
20iji45.jpg

Try-out:
2586moi.jpg

Resin coat:
2cgztzn.jpg

Fibreglassed interior:
2emh89y.jpg

Car filler (bondo equiv), then car filler mixed with resin (rondo equiv)
16lwfmr.jpg

Sanded, visor cut out:
24q6ebk.jpg

DIY vac forming table:
9gllbq.jpg

First of many failures:
2i75rh3.jpg

Riser made from bags of soil:
xfq23a.jpg

Success:
16758gi.jpg

Cut out and resting in place:
xl9w04.jpg

Pepsi can ear:
2ypn0jr.jpg

Undercoated and masked:
x5cmqh.jpg

Gold spray:
8yxcpi.jpg

Visor tinted with a few coats of rear light spray:
e0r1bk.jpg

Almost there:
ezrac2.jpg

Fairy lights:
2s0z869.jpg

Enclosure:
mkgqaw.jpg

Greaseproof paper & acetate diffusion test:
2psev7n.jpg

Glue gunned in place:
flv6w.jpg

Lights test:

Build complete:
2qu5i6h.jpg

With a few of the other 50 members of the Glastonbury robot invasion:
b4t6ax.jpg

At the Glastonbury dance village:
fxbioy.jpg

yep, there are more lights at the bottom too, a text scroller.. there's a thin horizontal strip inbetween the two that you can see clearly out of

Wow, very impressive! I'm also interested in knowing more information about the two center pieces you have on the table in the Glastonbury photo. Very Transformers-esque. Did you build those, as well?

come on develope an arduino code and make then flash! :) haha looks good. i have seen some really REALLY bad ones out there but yours looks pretty great. i love the pop cans on the side too. way to use your resources.

Wow, very impressive! I'm also interested in knowing more information about the two center pieces you have on the table in the Glastonbury photo. Very Transformers-esque. Did you build those, as well?

there were a few that were based on transformers voice changer helmets (which you can pick up for $10 on ebay, bargain), the pink one was an optimus prime (amongst other things had a nice pink flashing mouth added) and the red one was a bumblebee

262732_10150690038205331_590610330_19335941_8047095_n.jpg

optimusprimevoicechanger.jpg

510V4rLExwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

here's a group shot of some more of the robots that were there, 50 of us turned up at the peak:

269514_10150352213745278_799405277_9958315_1184190_n.jpg

Hiya, here are some more pics of mine - I have lots of the build process, I'll add those later. Was great fun building together, would advise it to anyone that is thinking about building. Makes twice as easy! Also power tools - using an orbital sander was BRILLIANT, and so much faster (and cheap).

5904164565_98122c2f1e_b_d.jpg

Here you can see the thin clear line just below the 'light bar' - I'd used too much spray to tint the visor. I /could/ see through, but it wasn't good enough. Plus I knew Glastonbury would be muddy, so I wanted good vision! You can see my scrolling text bar. It kept coming loose and wasn't on in this picture. In Glastonbury there is a brilliant (insane) night club called NYC Downlow, and you have to have or wear a moustache to get, hence the tash.

5904164563_1ec911b9ea_b_d.jpg

This one really shows off the lower ear torches and the lasers and el wire. Was also wearing some el wire in my shirt. I'd planned to wear it sewn into a jacket, but didn't have time. I had sewn el into my jeans, but forgot the transformer in the car! Doh!

5904164557_2643159672_b_d.jpg

This is another great laser shot. By this time I'd broken the wiring on the ear fans. The ear fans were pc cooling fans with blue leds. The were great at keeping cool in hot clubs, but since the inside of my helmet was a mess of wires I snapped the solder at some point... ho hum. Still, having holes there (that you couldn't really see in) meant that I had a lot better sound in the helmet than my friend above.

5904164551_cea24f8086_b_d.jpg

Like this one for the lights - it's also one of the few that shows the scrolling messages. I can't post most as I chose a slightly (ok very) not safe for work play on 'Daft Punk' - it was for Glastonbury after all ;)

5904164549_07415498d8_b_d.jpg

Another even clearer one. I was also wearing full cricket whites on this outing. No reason.

5904164547_4fc7fef555_b_d.jpg

One with another friend of ours - was great to hang out with 50 odd robots! We are vaguely thinking about a robot/costume meet/nightclub night in London... sound interesting???

Video from before Glastonbury

Was missing the blue el wire and the scrolling message bar.

Last one, me and my brother - was great the range of styles we had - that said it was my two brothers (this one with the colander and one who is in the pics above wearing an iMac on his head) - they made it into the festival review magazine! Still very pleased for them.

5904294955_4d9fcab648_b_d.jpg

and

5904294961_6ace4d741d_z_d.jpg

I'll dig out a scan of the pic of them in the Q Review magazine.

5904294963_6b43b87c89_b_d.jpg

Sanding sanding sanding... orbital sander (£15) made it SO much faster. I only got down to around 100 grain paper, my friend went finer, but I'm not such a perfectionist. Still looked good.

5904294969_85736864c2_z_d.jpg

First halfway good visor, ended up not being used, if you can look at the top of the visor there is some pretty bad webbing - which is why we moved to the risers to lift the visor up high to stop this. Worked pretty well. Think we have a video of some of our failures somewhere.

5904294975_035c64331a_z_d.jpg

At last the working visor, with some rippling but no webbing! Was a mission I tell you, think it was about 4am at this point - my girlfriend (and neighbours) were very forgiving of the vacuum cleaner going on and off all night!

5904294971_7f66afb8bf_b_d.jpg

Finishing the light bar and my electronics - I had to have that ALL done before I could fit the visor, and have to paint before the visor, so all the electronics were wrapped up after this. As I said, I wasn't the best at soldering and doing things cleanly, so now I need to go back and rework the torches and fans. Hot glue was my friend, and I should have used more to hold the wire still so it wasn't pulled when I put my helmet on.

List of lights:

60 led light bar - made from 2 of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/30-led-3m-battery-powered-christmas-light-white-led-3xaa-6483
2 single led torches mounted bottom of each ear: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/richuang-rc-7001-30-lumen-led-flashlight-with-clip-1-aaa-44168
2meters of blue el wire
2 usb blue led fans: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0PK23ZEHHX84Q3KPEYDG
2 Purple/RoyalBlue 1W lasers (eye safe)

These were controlled by the 6 switches on the bottom rim, 3 per 'ear'

Also was a blue led scrolling belt buckle. I removed all plastic from it, and added some blue felt to stop it scratching the visor.

I also covered inside of the visor and back 'visor' with blue felt, and used that inside for the lining. I used minimal lining and padding to keep it as cool as possible in there. I'll take some inside pics at some point if that is of interest, and one of the view out.

Those are both amazing helmets, good to the both of you. Makes me excited to make a Daft Punk helmet after finishing my Mark VI Chief suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back