JFO Helmet - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Of Intent

Okay guys... new thread time. I've only been working on the helmet for 2-3 hours, but man, it is so much easier compared with the gauntlet. Far fewer small pieces combined with 160gsm rather than 240gsm makes both cutting and sticking far easier. This time I'ma go with thumbnails for ease of scrolling down. First pics here:

th_DSCF0004.jpg th_DSCF0005.jpg

I'll update this soon tomorrow... sorry to start a thread with so little on it. I've also started work on the visor, which I'm just making from a curved piece of polystyrene sheet (May not be PS, it is some 0.5mm plastic I had spare). I think I'll epoxy the visor details to the front layer to give it more detail and strength, then see what i can find in terms of tinting spray. Build is going well so far, and I'm loving superglue now... works like a charm!

I used a piece of 0.5mm plastic to make a temporary visor, but by un-bending it I caused it to gain a white-ish shimmer. Ii's now just going to be a template for when I make the cut outs to glue to the visor. It bears a striking resemblance to the Iron Man helmet (Due to the thin slanting eyes). Pic included, as it is fairly close to the final visor (Although I'm going to tint it gold, or black if there is no gold).

th_11-1.jpg

Yeah, I'm thinking car light/window tinting spray is the way to go, I mean I can't use tinted film once the details are on. Trouble is I can't find any gold spray, or even silver (Black would be my 3rd choice of colour). Here in the UK there tends to be less of a range, and I'll probably have to use eBay or Amazon for most of my stuff.

I've personally never used it
never used resin or bondo either because its expensive, I'm 14 and 60 degrees in the uk?
someday hopefully

I only just realised Rondo=Resin+Bondo! I'll see which is the cheaper option, but lots of people say fibreglassing is harder and may not completely adhere to the shape of the model, so if Rondo-ing turns out cheaper, i'm doing that (I think Rondo is the same as "mudglassing" btw).

Would you mind sharing that JFO file? I've had one heck of a time trying to find one, and that one looks dead accurate

This is the one I used (Link To JFO Helmet) .I'm pretty sure anyway... same file size and dimensions, so guess it must be the same.

Nice to see someone else interested in making a JFO!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link! This one looks nice and easy, my first pep was the H3 CQB, and that was a doozy of a helmet to start out with

Thanks for the link! This one looks nice and easy, my first pep was the H3 CQB, and that was a doozy of a helmet to start out with

There's an amzingly detailed version of the CQB helmet that almost made me scrap the JFO and do the CQB. I just feel the JFO is a little bit plain, but I know it's going to get more detailed, so I'm going to stand by it till the end!

mm, now I am tempted to make a JFO lid. I need to finish my current suit first. Must keep myself strong!

mm, now I am tempted to make a JFO lid. I need to finish my current suit first. Must keep myself strong!

The helmet is probably one of the easiest to make, although I've yet to see one with all the added in details. The one thing I dislike about it at the moment is ow the underneath edge seems kind of unfinished, and the "chin" section almost feels like it doesn't belong with the rest of the helmet when viewed from the side. You may notice this if you study it carefully in pep viewer.

Your foam build looks great so far and you've got amazingly clean pep skills. How easy/fast is foam compared with working on card builds?

Foam builds can take longer to cut out, but EVA foam is easy to assemble, adjust, and detail. Not to mention you can also sand them. One of the best parts is that it does not require fiberglassing or resining because of how sturdy it is, which is good if you dont want to use resin or string chemicals. The only bad side is that wierd department store smell they let off when you take them out of the package, but that only lasts about 8 hours.

When I've finidhed my card build I'll look into making a foam one. I don't mind resining, but fibreglassing and even assembling the card in the first place takes so much effort XD

I agree with Toacrabman foam is the way to go, and dont forget about the liquid latex not only does it seal up the ridges but it makes your build feel more solid but without losing the flexibility of the foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back