Full custom REACH build, FREE HAND, NO PEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZ Ethan

SO hello everyone, im Ethan an iv'e just started on 405th, im going to be making my reach suit free hand with foam and in the cheapest way possible. All the latest updates will be in this thread.

Ive decided not to use pep files because they seem really tedious to construct and I want to test my own skills by constructing free hand.
Have a look at my other scratch builds if your interested. here's my first attempt at a helmet
http://www.405th.com/entry.php/1863-My-ODST-Build-(other-pieces)?goto=prev

Ill be updating regularly so keep a look out for my latest updates in this thread

Looks really good for a first build! Good to see someone whose first post isn't "how do I make armor". Great work, can;t wait to see how the rest turns out. Also nice work on the helmet, foam helmets are really hard to do!

Thank you :D
foam is my new friend , my first odst helmet took me weeks because i used paper mache, tissue paper and pva, and then used jib compound then sanded that, its quite heavy, so the jump to foam was a welcome change. Took me 2 days to make the helmet, its light and doesnt smell like glue on the inside haha.

I remember seeing these posts on the blog session! Can't wait to see some more progress. I soon will have enough to buy 50 bux worth of foam. Lets hope they have enough for me :3

Okay, that is an amazing job on the helmet. I never thought to do a foam helmet because pretty much everyone said it was too difficult... You're making it look easy. Then again, I completely understand where you are coming from with the pepakura. I'm planning on using sintra rather than pepakura to cut out a great deal of the hardening necessary to wear it.

Always nice to see more and more choose foam for their armor. ^_^
Especially when they come out like THIS! :D

Okay, that is an amazing job on the helmet. I never thought to do a foam helmet because pretty much everyone said it was too difficult... You're making it look easy. Then again, I completely understand where you are coming from with the pepakura. I'm planning on using sintra rather than pepakura to cut out a great deal of the hardening necessary to wear it.

Thanks man. Haha its a bit anoyin to work with but its surprisingly sturdy and has a fair bit of weight, i really recommend working with foam, besides the mess of scraps you end up with, its good to have something that doesn't shatter or crack when dropped like clay or plastic. Good luck with your build!

I remember seeing these posts on the blog session! Can't wait to see some more progress. I soon will have enough to buy 50 bux worth of foam. Lets hope they have enough for me :3

ill have an update soon, been working on the forearm pieces, just gotta find a camera haha

Cheers dude. Quick question, im noob to 405th, if i want to update this post, do i make another post, or just reply to my own? Ive seen that everyone elses are just one long and updated thread, how do i do that?

Cheers dude. Quick question, im noob to 405th, if i want to update this post, do i make another post, or just reply to my own? Ive seen that everyone elses are just one long and updated thread, how do i do that?

Replying to a thread is the same thing as creating a new post in that thread. I think you may be asking if you should be posting solely to one thread or creating multiple threads. If that's the case it depends. You should collect all posts pertinent to a topic or your build in a single thread but you may, and probably should, create new threads for different projects or topics. How you delineate your build threads is up to you.

If you are asking about whether or not you should double-post in lieu of editing an earlier post the following is from the forum's infractions/offenses list (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/11045-Forum-Infractions-Warnings-and-Offenses).

"Multiple Simultaneous or Consecutive Posts - Starting several threads regarding the same exact topic, posting multiple instances of the same information, and/or posting replies consecutively(within minutes of each other) without attempting to edit prior posts. Exceptions are double posts in your personal progress threads when updating."

Hope this helps.

looks good so far. if you want to change the title of your thread at any time you just edit the FIRST post you made, go advanced and you can put a new topic name in, i use it when i update stuff on my grav hammer build

UPDATE TIME!

Hey everyone, just uploaded my latest progress on my blog, Heres the link. Arms almost done besides the shoulder plates
http://www.405th.com/entry.php/1961-My-custom-REACH-Build-(Arms)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

check my blog for more info

Here's some better helmet pics, been posting in my blog instead of updating this thread, my bad
For some reason the glue was reflecting the light of my computer real bad, it is a lot cleaner then in the pic
attachment.php

Dang dude that is very impressive foam work. I have never seen foam helmets come out so good!

Keep up the great work!

Wow..just Wow every time i see someone do a foam based suit it looks amazing. I have no idea how its done, i can never gt far doing pepakura. Great job keep it up!

As promised this morning, LEGS TIME :D
The black lines are elastic that brings the base back together after i stretch it when my foot goes through, works surprisingly well

attachment.php

Bit of a mess
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Now moving on to the crutch piece, Updates coming soon. Thanks for all the support guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back