A quick tip for valley folds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weslicon

Jr Member
Hey everyone! I just wanted to share a method with you that I find very helpful when pre-slicing the cardstock for folds. You may have different ways but if you check this out real quick, hopefully it will help! Valley folds are harder to do seeing as how you have to slice the back of the paper (where you cant see anything) in order to obtain an optimal fold. What I do in order to make the cut easier and more accurate, is take a small nail and place the tip on the endpoint of each valley fold line and lightly hammer it through so you have two small holes that are visible on the other side of the paper. Then simply use a ruler, and cut from hole to hole so you will end up with a nice valley fold. Just wanted to throw that idea out there! if anyone has their own special method it would be awesome if you could share!

I just indent (not cut) the paper. I do it all on one side, without turning the paper, and it works just fine for both mountain and valley folds. You just have to press down hard enough while indenting.

I just indent (not cut) the paper. I do it all on one side, without turning the paper, and it works just fine for both mountain and valley folds. You just have to press down hard enough while indenting.

me too, sometimes i use a Popsicle stick but thats rarely

Valley folds are harder to do seeing as how you have to slice the back of the paper (where you cant see anything) in order to obtain an optimal fold. What I do in order to make the cut easier and more accurate, is take a small nail and place the tip on the endpoint of each valley fold line and lightly hammer it through so you have two small holes that are visible on the other side of the paper. Then simply use a ruler, and cut from hole to hole so you will end up with a nice valley fold.
I use a heavy-duty box cutter instead to "punch" through the paper and use the same cutter to gently score the paper on its underside along the fold line. The resulting folds are much sharper, IMO.

What tool would you use to make such indents?

I use the bottle opening or large screwdriver tool of my Swiss Knife, but any small or medium screwdriver with no sharp edges should work. I bet you can use other things as well, as long as they don't cut or rip through the paper.

I also print the files out with coloured fold lines, so that I can do without coloured pens.

My printer doesn't do color, so I use the red pen blue pen method. It's fine for big pieces, slightly irksome on the little ones tho :/ I'd be nervous to cut my pep tho 0_o

I'm asain, I just naturally have pro skills with paper. XD I just make a mental note of where I need to score, flip the paper, and score. And with the Asian statement, that automatically means I can cut a straight line without assistance of a ruler.

Lol jk about the Asian thing. But for myself, I seriously so jut make mental note and can cut a straight line. So yeah, I'm set. XD

I use a box cutter to make two small holes on both sides of the line, flip the paper, and slide the box cutter from hole to hole. It's quick and makes a nice clean fold. Though, I have to say, I severely hate valley holds with a passion.

I don't even see or understand the need to flip the paper. It doesn't really matter what side you score it on (although it seems easier to do it on the side where you see the line to begin with), as long as you fold it the right way in the end. :p I'v always scored my lines on ONE side.

I like to use the pointy tool that you would use for working with clay. It has a metal tip and is excellent for scoring the cardstock. Doesn't wear out, doesn't run out of ink, and doesn't make the lines unreadable. :)

It's number 4 in the image I've attached.
pottery-wheel-set-300x203.png

Hey everyone! I just wanted to share a method with you that I find very helpful when pre-slicing the cardstock for folds. You may have different ways but if you check this out real quick, hopefully it will help! Valley folds are harder to do seeing as how you have to slice the back of the paper (where you cant see anything) in order to obtain an optimal fold. What I do in order to make the cut easier and more accurate, is take a small nail and place the tip on the endpoint of each valley fold line and lightly hammer it through so you have two small holes that are visible on the other side of the paper. Then simply use a ruler, and cut from hole to hole so you will end up with a nice valley fold. Just wanted to throw that idea out there! if anyone has their own special method it would be awesome if you could share!

I use a pizza cutter for all folds, its fast and easy. Everyone has one. Just make sure its clean first.

I use fine-tip pens for my folds( green for mountains, red for valleys). I use firm pressure to score the paper and do all the scores from one side, then use a ruler to complete the folds. It works out pretty good, but I might try the pizza cutter method to see if it works.

I use a nail file lol. It was what i had one day cause i misplaced my other stuff and i been using it ever since lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back