Mark V (B) Helmet Build (PICTURE HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caliko100

So this is my first armour build in which i decided to start with a helmet, to get things going. It's all pepped (albeit poorly compared to other peoples) and ready to be fiberglassed; which is going on as we speak. Any criticism is encouraged :D

Side View

Front View

Random Pose

Shortly after finishing the fiberglass

Front after outer resin coat

Side after outer resin coat

Check out my noble six thread. The first helmet I made looked similar to yours. I used hot glue and the wrong paper weight and it warped a lot. I used tacky glue, a heavier paper, scored both the valley and peak lines and took my time.

You will literally cut your bondo/sanding/re-bondo/re-sanding ect. time down by at least half if you start with a helmet with no warps. I hate pepping but it will save you time later. I've also found it is easiest to assemble all small pieces first then start from the bottom and work up. Good luck.

Check out my noble six thread. The first helmet I made looked similar to yours. I used hot glue and the wrong paper weight and it warped a lot. I used tacky glue, a heavier paper, scored both the valley and peak lines and took my time.

You will literally cut your bondo/sanding/re-bondo/re-sanding ect. time down by at least half if you start with a helmet with no warps. I hate pepping but it will save you time later. I've also found it is easiest to assemble all small pieces first then start from the bottom and work up. Good luck.

Thanks for the help! I know there's some warping here (if not quite a bit) but i don't think there's an incredulous amount. I'll probably finish this helmet fully and see the result before starting another; but, again, thanks for the pointers! :)

Looks good:D Some warpage doesn't matter;) my first pepakura didn't look nearly as good as yours^_^ Keep up the good work!

Quick Update: Fiberglassing's done on the inside (using up nearly all the hardener and a whole can of resin) Will start whatever next tomorrow.

Congrats on your first pep, It does look a little warped and some detail areas are out of shape, but its the best way to learn the process, I would try and finish this helmet with the hardening process and bondo process, It will give you practice, once you feel confident you can do all those steps, rebuild the same helmet, and you will be amazed how much better your second one turns out. just keep in mind the warps mean alot more bodywork and sanding otherwise keep up the great job

Congrats on your first pep, It does look a little warped and some detail areas are out of shape, but its the best way to learn the process, I would try and finish this helmet with the hardening process and bondo process, It will give you practice, once you feel confident you can do all those steps, rebuild the same helmet, and you will be amazed how much better your second one turns out. just keep in mind the warps mean alot more bodywork and sanding otherwise keep up the great job

Thanks. Once this is all finished i intend to spend however much time is needed to sand and detail it, for optimum results (Which i should have probably been more careful in doing with the pepping). Repeating the helmet wouldn't be too much of a bother really, not if the end result is good.

i intend to spend however much time is needed to sand and detail it.

I see you have already fiberglassed the inside but if I could give a suggestion, I find that rondo really makes the helmet stand up to sanding without bondo.

I see you have already fiberglassed the inside but if I could give a suggestion, I find that rondo really makes the helmet stand up to sanding without bondo.

Rondo being body filler & resin mixed with fiberglass? (I remember reading this when i lurked for a while... i can't seem to remember the full details) STICKY, AWAY!

Rondo being body filler & resin mixed with fiberglass? (I remember reading this when i lurked for a while... i can't seem to remember the full details) STICKY, AWAY!

It's easy.... mix equal parts bondo and resin (I do 4oz batches) then mix well. Add the hardener from the resin (I find that easier then the bondo paste) as long as everything is bondo brand and apply using the slush method. Coat until you cannot see any light coming though the helmet.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32008-Rondo-A-Photo-Guided-Tutorial

It's easy.... mix equal parts bondo and resin (I do 4oz batches) then mix well. Add the hardener from the resin (I find that easier then the bondo paste) as long as everything is bondo brand and apply using the slush method. Coat until you cannot see any light coming though the helmet.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32008-Rondo-A-Photo-Guided-Tutorial

Ahh, cool. I'll remember that for the next time i make a helmet. Also, i take it that it can be done with any body filler/resin because im in the UK and we don't have 'bondo' (unless it's ordered in).

QUICK EDIT: Just a quick one, i'm probably gonna visit my local store to get some more resin/hardener later and try to pick up some paint as well. I already have the grey primer and wanted to have a cobalt-esque colour for the actual armour. Is there any specific type of paint i should get? EG; matt.

ANOTHER EDIT...: Almost finished the resin coat on the outside; images coming later tomorrow along with hopeful body filler photos.

UPDATE: I've finished the outer coat of resin meaning im ready to move onto the body filler. I know i 'shouldn't' have removed the old visor yet, but i lack a dremel therefore it will be a b**** to remove later. Other than that, here's some new photos.

Okay, i know i haven't posted anything in a while (even updates) and that's simply because my build has been postponed... for ages. It's been raining for a long while over where i am meaning the body filler stage was held up. I managed to some body work on it, but not much. Updates will appear once i've coated it completely and sanded it all down. Sorry for lack of info.

Weather-related delays suck (it's getting pretty cloudy/windy out where I'm at so I think I'll be in the same boat as you today).

Since you have the helmet glassed it's not an issue to remove the face-plate material. The helmet should be sturdy enough to apply bondo. I'd typically remove it before or during shaping so you can trim or add material to the opening, and generally clean it up, so it better conforms to a face-plate.

I like what Hyperballistik mentioned about minor glitches with your pepakura in relation to this being your first build. Each step in the build process takes a bit of practice to get the hang of. As you're exposing yourself to each step with this build you'll find, if you chose to do another build (the hobby is a bit addicting), you'll be more comfortable with what you're doing and be able to achieve better results. Everyone here, from noob to elite, has something to learn so keep looking at others' work for techniques and inspiration and others will look to your's for the same.

All the best to you and your build!

Where did you get that pep file? its a far more accurate pep file than the one I used

Looks good for the most part, going to have a lot of detailing and bondo work ahead of ya though. Stick with it!

Where did you get that pep file? its a far more accurate pep file than the one I used

Looks good for the most part, going to have a lot of detailing and bondo work ahead of ya though. Stick with it!

Weather-related delays suck (it's getting pretty cloudy/windy out where I'm at so I think I'll be in the same boat as you today).

Since you have the helmet glassed it's not an issue to remove the face-plate material. The helmet should be sturdy enough to apply bondo. I'd typically remove it before or during shaping so you can trim or add material to the opening, and generally clean it up, so it better conforms to a face-plate.

I like what Hyperballistik mentioned about minor glitches with your pepakura in relation to this being your first build. Each step in the build process takes a bit of practice to get the hang of. As you're exposing yourself to each step with this build you'll find, if you chose to do another build (the hobby is a bit addicting), you'll be more comfortable with what you're doing and be able to achieve better results. Everyone here, from noob to elite, has something to learn so keep looking at others' work for techniques and inspiration and others will look to your's for the same.

All the best to you and your build!

Thank you, both of you. In regards to your question, Panda, i found it here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread under Jico's Reach files, about two-thirds of the way down.

EDIT: Quick question of my own, whilst i'm at it; what kind of foam would be best for the inside, in terms of both padding and comfort?

Honestly I havent got to that point yet but my plan is to line the inside with cloth to get the dimensions then sew in sections of padding using a think foam much like used in upholstery. Hard to explain but I hope to get to that point soon.

Oh and thanks for the link BTW

More rain? Jeez... it's SUMMER!
Also, the part just in front of the wearers chin is broken, so that calls for some attention. Major attention. Updates as soon as our horrendous English weather clears up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back