Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Blog Entries
    Jul 7, 2011, 9:00 PM - Ian's ODST Build - Lots O Pics - More Coming! #1

*EDIT So you've all seen the battle damaged helmet I created (in pics below), and seeing as how I plan on making my own suit of ODST armor I'll just post my progress here. No need to start an entirely new post, right?

Hey all I've been trolling round these parts for awhile now, and using BenStreeper's vids and guidance I started working on my first ODST helmet last September. Well in a manner of months I got so far as to making a mold, but then the project just sat in my basement waiting for a mother mold. To make a long story short, my wife resparked my crafting interest, by showing me some fan made Garrus costume and I was back to the grind. This week I finally made the mother mold and did my first ever casting of a helmet. I have to say I'm pretty impressed thinking it was doomed to begin with. The cast helmet is for my friend's bday, it matches his armor in Reach of course. I posted a blog here awhile back, so if you'd like to see the early phase of the project click here. Otherwise all the photos below are of my first casted and painted helmet. It still needs some touch up, see visor, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far. My friend doesn't want a wearable helmet, so I'm happy to not have to worry about the ODST Visor conundrum.

Last edited by iancorrao; Jul 13, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Jul 7, 2011, 9:05 PM - #2

nice Helmet The visor looks great^_^
    Blog Entries
    Jul 7, 2011, 10:52 PM - #3

Thanks Jico, up close it sort of makes me wanna puke... but hey the 2nd casting will be for me, and I plan on putting the see through visor in and spending a lot more time on it.

Here are some more pics of the painted helmet, the original "model", and of course our Rubie's Darth Vader helmet... wish I could say I made that! Ha!

Jul 8, 2011, 6:50 AM - #4

That is an impressive helmet. I like the blue visor and the battle damage! Great work!
    Blog Entries
    Jul 8, 2011, 3:23 PM - #5

Even though it seems a lot of people chose to make ODST helmets, it's always great seeing different ones. They seem very easy to make your own, one of a kind. I like the one on the right. The metallic look of the paint is really cool.
    Jul 8, 2011, 4:04 PM - #6

Dude, that is sick! That is some amazing battle-damage work!
    Blog Entries
    Jul 8, 2011, 7:54 PM - #7

Thanks guys, yeah the one on the right is the original model, I think I might make that metallic grey the base color of my helmet when I cast it.

An update, I showed my friend the helmet, who's getting it for his bday, and I was kind of scared he'd say something bad about the visor. Instead he seemed to enjoy it, and actually liked the "damage" on the visor so much that he now wants me to give it a cracked visor look. Sounds like fun, I'll post pics when I have them!
    Jul 8, 2011, 7:55 PM - #8

AMAZING paint job! Keep it up, man!
    Blog Entries
    Jul 9, 2011, 5:51 PM - #9

Thanks! It almost saddened me to do this, but seeing as how my friend asked for a cracked visor, I figured I would go all out... how about a clean shot through the dome. Here are the pics. You can see my shoddy casting job

10. 405th Midwest Regiment Member thorn696's Avatar
    Jul 11, 2011, 11:44 AM - #10

Looking great.
    Blog Entries
    Jul 11, 2011, 12:21 PM - #11

That is awesome! I love the exit wound. And don't worry, the fantastic detail distracts from the shoddy casting.
  12. 405th Southern Regiment Member vshore100's Avatar
    vshore100's Xbox Gamertag Vshore100
    Jul 11, 2011, 12:35 PM - #12

This is great!!! The head shot is super cool and looks quite real. Nice work man!
  13. 405th Pacific Regiment Member J326's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jul 11, 2011, 12:44 PM - #13

zombie odst? love the attention to detail!
    Blog Entries
    Jul 11, 2011, 1:29 PM - #14

Thanks all! I think I'm going to consider this helmet DONE! I get some more smooth-cast320 tonight and will be casting MY ODST helmet, woot. Then I get the visor plastic later this week, and LET THE VISOR EXPERIMENTATION BEGIN! I may end up just making a vaccuum form, but we'll see if I can do it the cheap(lazy) way.

Sidenote - Jonus nice comic! The humor reminds me of MY comic ZombieHood - check my sig. And it seems you make them at the same rate I do - whenever you want!
    Blog Entries
    Jul 12, 2011, 10:10 AM - #15

Last night I casted MY helmet, woo! I planned on taking a lot of time on it, but damnit, I am so impatient! I did sand out some imperfections and spent more time cleaning up the helmet than I did with my friends. But still, I only spent about 45 minutes sanding and cleaning. I already cut out the visor as I'm waiting on my acetate plastic to arrive. I plan on experimenting with a mix of techniques for creating the visor. And last night I primed it for paint (no pics of that). But there are pics of the helmet fresh out of the mold, and some doofus (me) putting the helmet on and looking stupid (awesome!). Also below you'll find an ODST Speed paint I did a week or two ago... just for the hell of it.

That's all for now, more as I have them.
    Blog Entries
    Jul 12, 2011, 10:50 AM - #16

Originally Posted by iancorrao View Post
    That is an awesome speed painting man! Saved to my hard drive. Seriously awesome.
    Jul 12, 2011, 11:47 AM - #17

that is the best odst helmet ever btw can u see out of the visor
    Blog Entries
    Jul 12, 2011, 12:03 PM - #18

Ha, thanks Jonus! I was itching to work on my helmet at work... but alas there was no way to do that. So I figured, hey, why not draw it?!

NVY ODST, Unfotunately the helmet with the blue visor and gun shot you can't see out of at all, except through the gunshot ha ha. I plan on making my helmet's visor tansparent... or translucent. Which ever it'll be after I tint it. Also, thanks for the comment!
    Blog Entries
    Jul 12, 2011, 12:07 PM - #19

Ha, thanks Jonus! I was itching to work on my helmet at work... but alas there was no way to do that. So I figured, hey, why not draw it?!
    Haha, yeah I do that a lot too. I'm sitting at a computer all day but I just want to get home to work on my armour. I have found that there are times when I can get away with putting out pep pieces at my desk though. Otherwise I spend a lot of time spacing out just going through the 405th forums, looking at ref photos, planning in my head...
    Jul 12, 2011, 1:27 PM - #20

sweet helms the blood looks so 1337
    Blog Entries
    Jul 12, 2011, 1:55 PM - #21

Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Haha, yeah I do that a lot too. I'm sitting at a computer all day but I just want to get home to work on my armour. I have found that there are times when I can get away with putting out pep pieces at my desk though. Otherwise I spend a lot of time spacing out just going through the 405th forums, looking at ref photos, planning in my head...
    That's a good idea, but I know how things tend to go down with me. First it would start with just bringing the pep printouts and marking up the Mountain and Valley folds. Then I would finish those and smuggle in an exacto knife. Then I would feel like that was pretty easy to get in, why NOT the glue gun!? Before you know it I'd be getting fired because of all the noise and dust coming from my cubicle as I was sanding and dremmeling a rondo-ed helmet!

Gosh I can't wait to get home!
    Blog Entries
    Jul 12, 2011, 2:57 PM - #22

That's a good idea, but I know how things tend to go down with me. First it would start with just bringing the pep printouts and marking up the Mountain and Valley folds. Then I would finish those and smuggle in an exacto knife. Then I would feel like that was pretty easy to get in, why NOT the glue gun!? Before you know it I'd be getting fired because of all the noise and dust coming from my cubicle as I was sanding and dremmeling a rondo-ed helmet!

Gosh I can't wait to get home!
    Sounds like a comic to me
    Blog Entries
    Jul 13, 2011, 10:01 AM - #23

I was thinking the same thing... I have a new comic in the works but it's so tough getting inspired to do that when I have a helmet project I'm working on.

So last night I did the initial painting of my helmet, metallic grey(gray?) and metallic blue. I'm not sure if the pics do it justice, but the blue is really slick. Can't wait to add some light, and I stress LIGHT, damage and wear and tear.

Blog Entries
    Jul 13, 2011, 10:18 AM - #24

Yeah, bad camera flashes never do paint jobs justice. But don't worry. I can see beyond what the camera sees, and I think the metallic blue looks awesome. Also, the metallic grey makes it actually look metal, which is really cool.
    Blog Entries
    Jul 14, 2011, 10:53 AM - #25

Well I got my acetate .01 plastic sheets in the mail last night, which meant it was my first run at making a visor. I have to say, I knew that .01 was really thin, but upon opening up the package it's REALLY thin! I think for now it will do, however once I get around to making a vacuum former, I'll probably redo the visor in a heavier plastic. Anyone know what Ben Streeper and those other guys use?

As for my temporary visor and experimentation, I used some of the ideas that ZakuAce used such as drawing out the pattern on the plastic and cutting portions of it where I needed. However instead of keeping the bottom portion of the visor attached, I cut that completely off too. My goal was to use my heat gun to form the plastic around the visor chunk I cut out of my helmet. Below are some pics of my results. Once I formed the 2 visor pieces with my heat gun, I taped them inplace in the helmet and made sure the lined up how I wanted them. After that I took them back out, still taped together and super glued the bottom visor to the top. So here are the pics of how my visor looks.