Ian's ODST Build - Lots O Pics - More Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, yeah I do that a lot too. I'm sitting at a computer all day but I just want to get home to work on my armour. I have found that there are times when I can get away with putting out pep pieces at my desk though. Otherwise I spend a lot of time spacing out just going through the 405th forums, looking at ref photos, planning in my head...

That's a good idea, but I know how things tend to go down with me. First it would start with just bringing the pep printouts and marking up the Mountain and Valley folds. Then I would finish those and smuggle in an exacto knife. Then I would feel like that was pretty easy to get in, why NOT the glue gun!? Before you know it I'd be getting fired because of all the noise and dust coming from my cubicle as I was sanding and dremmeling a rondo-ed helmet!

Gosh I can't wait to get home! ;)

That's a good idea, but I know how things tend to go down with me. First it would start with just bringing the pep printouts and marking up the Mountain and Valley folds. Then I would finish those and smuggle in an exacto knife. Then I would feel like that was pretty easy to get in, why NOT the glue gun!? Before you know it I'd be getting fired because of all the noise and dust coming from my cubicle as I was sanding and dremmeling a rondo-ed helmet!

Gosh I can't wait to get home! ;)

Sounds like a comic to me ;)

I was thinking the same thing... I have a new comic in the works but it's so tough getting inspired to do that when I have a helmet project I'm working on.

So last night I did the initial painting of my helmet, metallic grey(gray?) and metallic blue. I'm not sure if the pics do it justice, but the blue is really slick. Can't wait to add some light, and I stress LIGHT, damage and wear and tear.

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

Yeah, bad camera flashes never do paint jobs justice. But don't worry. I can see beyond what the camera sees, and I think the metallic blue looks awesome. Also, the metallic grey makes it actually look metal, which is really cool.

Well I got my acetate .01 plastic sheets in the mail last night, which meant it was my first run at making a visor. I have to say, I knew that .01 was really thin, but upon opening up the package it's REALLY thin! I think for now it will do, however once I get around to making a vacuum former, I'll probably redo the visor in a heavier plastic. Anyone know what Ben Streeper and those other guys use?

As for my temporary visor and experimentation, I used some of the ideas that ZakuAce used such as drawing out the pattern on the plastic and cutting portions of it where I needed. However instead of keeping the bottom portion of the visor attached, I cut that completely off too. My goal was to use my heat gun to form the plastic around the visor chunk I cut out of my helmet. Below are some pics of my results. Once I formed the 2 visor pieces with my heat gun, I taped them inplace in the helmet and made sure the lined up how I wanted them. After that I took them back out, still taped together and super glued the bottom visor to the top. So here are the pics of how my visor looks.

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

So I sorta finished my helmet, I'm not sold on the visor, because it's a little bit off. I attempted to form a helmet from some polymer resin, but it's a new experiment so that might come later down the line, but my main focus will now shift to fabricating the armor portions. I'll be posting more pics probably adding some comments to these pics as well once I'm not posting from my phone. Enjoy for now!
IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

Ok, so after a midnight showing of Harry Potter, very good by the way, I am able to post my extra pictures. I posted from my phone last night and had a lot of issues with getting the right images in the post, so before my phone died, I just hit POST and whatever pics made it you see above. I wanted to show what I did with the backside of the ODST helmet. I wasn't happy how it looked my original helmet so here's how I changed it up with the EVA foam:

Here I dremeled out the back section
IMAG0285.jpg

"Richard, what'd you do?!"
IMAG0286.jpg

Drew my pattern on the foam
IMAG0287.jpg

Marked its fitting in the helmet
IMAG0288.jpg

Hot glued some detail foam on.
IMAG0289.jpg

And refit and glued it to the back of the helmet
IMAG0290.jpg

Steps not captured were me heat blasting the foam so it would take on a better form and spraying the final piece with plasti-dip. It may still not be the greatest, but it has higher detail than the original form.

Extra detail's always good. I keep feeling like I want to put vinyl strips on the bottom back part of my helmet to make it look like it's leather lined, but I can't find any good reference and keep forgetting to look at it in game on my own time. Is this just a crazy idea I came up with myself or is there actually that kind of texture on the grenadier helmet?

ODST Foam Armor Chest Piece

You know I'm not sure. I doubt that if you did put it on, someone would say , "Hey, that's not leather lined!" Most likely it'll look pretty good and make it your own. Worth a try at least. I was taking reference pics of my Reach character last night, didn't get a chance to check out the Grenadier helmet.

In other news, I started working on my foam armor ODST chestplate. Finished that up, now the big project is making the Reach chestplate, may have to save that for another day, month, or year. Anyhoot, here are some pics!

It just looks dopey on it's own without the main armor chestplate, also taken via bathroom mirror, which someone needs to clean! Me!
IMAG0315.jpg

I plan on adding some detail paint, such as the arrows and USMC or whatever is printed on the chest piece
IMAG0317.jpg

Just a close up of the "detail" I didn't cover the seams all that well, but I'm not that worried. I don't plan on entering a Halo armor competition anytime soon. Just have it as a Halloween or possible Comic Convention (when I'm not running my booth) costume.
IMAG0318.jpg

Non this year, got a baby on the way, woot! But usually I go to the Wizard World Chicago Comic Con, I've been to Anime North in Canada, and Wizard World in Philly and a few smaller local cons. I'd like to get into San Diego, but that's all in due time.

Hey guys thanks for the comments. I was refraining from posting more pics of another completed helmet, buuut seeing as how this was bumped back to the top, why not share my most recent creation. Also, I FINALLY made a vaccuum form visor, took a few tries, but once I got it it was friggin' easy. Which is good for my Daft Punk build. Anyways, heres some more pics of a commissioned helmet.

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0137.JPG

DSC_0139.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

I got some EL Wire Lighting for my Daft Punk build and thought I'd mess with it in the ODST helmet. Really kinda looks dumb, but I like the pics of the helmet.
DSC_0144.JPG

More EL Lighting futzing...
DSC_0145.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0147.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

Just a close up of the "detail" I didn't cover the seams all that well, but I'm not that worried. I don't plan on entering a Halo armor competition anytime soon. Just have it as a Halloween or possible Comic Convention (when I'm not running my booth) costume.
IMAG0318.jpg

awesome work on everything you do!
I just have to know, how are you getting that grainy, speckled texture to your armor?! It looks so cool and realistic, and I've seen a couple of builds with it but cant figure out how!

keep up the great work
-Anna:D

awesome work on everything you do!
I just have to know, how are you getting that grainy, speckled texture to your armor?! It looks so cool and realistic, and I've seen a couple of builds with it but cant figure out how!

keep up the great work
-Anna:D

Thanks for the compliment! I wish I had a solid "how-to" for you on the look, but it's really nothing too special I'm doing. I took the advice from the peeps here on the forum about using Plasti-Dip Spray (rubber in a can) to cover my foam pieces. Basically it seals the foam so that it doesn't absorb the paint. Then I use your average Menards/Home Depot/Lowe's/Hardware spray paint. Only I found some Rustoleum metallic gray(grey) paint. I think that might be the speckled look you're talking about. Then to top it all of, I also bought some silver spray paint, which I spray onto a dry paint brush, then just tap, swipe, speckle where ever I want the weathered look to go. Hopefully that helps you out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back