My GOW Cog (NEED HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

So yeah. Been a long time coming, thought I'd get on this, gotta get done before Sept, for the Release of the sequel.

Finally found someone willing to lend a camera, So I have pictures (sadly none before "I am ready to fiberglass" stage)

Problem 1:
I am fatter then I thought. My torso cast (which will be in the pictures) wouldn't allow the Pep model to fit all around the gut area, the shoulders/chest look to be fine, I just R Too fat. Time to do some sit ups and crunches to lose that for release day. Lol.

Problem 2:
Space is limited so I had to set up a semi-mobile work bench to do this on.

Problem 3:
Supplies are extremely limited. Looks like my luck is on my arse again, transmission may be shot in my truck, and there goes my ride to/from work, so I am going slower then I'd like (budgeting as I can, and cutting some corners I didn't want to)

As stated the budget cut really nailed me, so I thought of a little different way to 'glass. Since it was mostly big shapes, and hardly any spots with 'little tiny detail" I SKIPPED the first "layer on some resin and let it harden for a more durable form."

That's right - Resin+Matt/cloth directly onto Dry Paper.

I am also using a "Patchwork" system of application, trying hard to be symetrical. A little piece here, a little piece on the other side, etc. I worked from the bottom rim Up, so it could stand on it own giving support as it went (so excess resin wouldn't weight it down and risk crushing)

I had 2 fallbacks. 1 - the project was knocked over while wet. I managed to repair heavily damaged areas before it finished curing, but there are some areas that will require Extra Bondo detail because of it. (some parts that were meant to be convex are slightly concave)

The second was a combination of paperfolds and 1 tiny missing part in the collar - because of some innacurate folds (plus using hot glue a little thicker then I should have) The curing process heated up this area and while using a brush to apply the resin and 'bristle it into place' (not sure how else to describe it) a seam came lose. The collar is pretty much 1/3 detached now, slightly wobbled. BUT. I figure I'll cut this out anyway and replace it with EVA Foam shaped for the collar anyway - because who wants sharp fiberglass cutting into your neck when you can have cushy foam?

Anyway. You can feel free to browse the other pictures on Photobucket, but here's a few to kinda get you going. The album is open, and there's quite a few pictures, almost every stage of application of resin batches.

So far I have used 1 full little container of resin.. which makes me wonder if maybe I use too much resin? (29 ouces I think?)

Each batch was done in 2 to 3 oz pours, with 30minutes to 1 hour after each batch to contenue... needless to say resin'ing has taken almost as long as pepping. (which took a week, working almost every day on it)

July 3: I spent most of the afternoon 'glassing
July 4: I decided not to risk Flammable Fumes/Substances with the Fireworks in the city
July 5: I spent most of the day glassing - over 10 hours.

Here's some results (Note: these should be in Start to Now order... but might be slightly off)
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s264/kissker/?action=view&current=100_1097.jpg
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s264/kissker/?action=view&current=100_1098.jpg
http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s264/kissker/?action=view&current=100_1111.jpg
100_1128.jpg

100_1137.jpg

outstanding I'm going to make gears of war armor after my halo armor is finished

i'm going to work on clay carmine's armor

nice work dude built these files myself, i was going to suggest some strengthening points but by the look of your pics youve nailed them all, keep it up

Anyone more experienced with Fiberglass:

Do you think I use too much?

Changed the title in hopes of help

I have it pretty much the same, temps have been 95+ here in Missouri and it's rough working with something that heats up to cure and solidify in those temps, so I was wondering what to do now.

I could contenue fiberglassing until it's 100% solid., mostly focusing on the inside now that the outside has support strips.
Or.
I could start bondo-ing I guess, although some parts are just paper w/resin on them, so not very strong
Or.
I could fill it somehow, either expansion foam or Rondo method, to give it a good sturdy inside support

I need to sand/trim parts on the outside, they are slashing my hands up badly Plus parts need to be reformed that didn't glass at the right angle from my excessive tendancy to score every fold (thus weaking the paper)

What would you suggest?

Rondo (or even order Smooth Cast 320 stuff to slosh inside)?
More 'glassing?
Foam it?

I really don't know what I am doing anymore and I have no extra cash to have failed projects. Kinda depressed and not feelin great. Could really use some support on this, or a helping hand, or just some words of wisdom.

As it is I might only have what's shown done in time for the Release, mostly because of job-hour cuts and lack of money to buy supplies AND the GOW3 xbox360. Kinda wanted the console as a b-day present to myself (bday is on friday july 15, so a late one) but even that is looking pretty bleak with hour cuts and budgeting.

Basically if I do have enough money for the console, it will be just barely, and I can't buy supplies to finish my works right now, other option being cancelling the console and making the suit but having that empty feeling in Sept. So I am trying to make every piece of foam, every stick of glue I have - count.

I can live with "just the torso" done. So for now I am scrapping all other parts. (since most weren't even Pepped yet, this didn't use any materials).

I have 1 small container of resin left (used about 5oz)
I have 1/2 gallon of Bondo - but it is last year's leftovers - and 0 hardener to test if it will still harden properly. (dunno where it went)
I have 3 EVA foam mats, and a handful of 'foamies' 2mm craft foam.

Besides Painting - I'd like to get everything done on the torso by the end of July if possible, which will allow me to see my supplies and see if I can budget any other parts in.

I just need some instructional advice.. what next?

In a slump here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back