Props Cardboard Halo 3 BR and Magnum WIP. VERY pic heavy! You've been warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Jr Member
Hey guys! Sticking my head out of the noob forum to see how this goes... Couple things to get out of the way:

1: still figuring out how to make pictures work, so forgive me in advance.

2: Props to Marshon for his awesome weapons tutorial! (PS, cant wait for your next update!) http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...rdboard-weapons-for-noobs?highlight=cardboard

3: Props to Wizardofflight for unofficial use of his blueprints! (I assume they're for general use since there's a thread full of them, so I didn't get permission. If that's a problem I'll gladly apologize and move on from there.)

Now for the good stuff!
PS: I watered down the number of pics in here for peace of minds sake, if you actually want to go through them all, here's the album: http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa380/propstofirefly/Armor/

This started with me wanting to make a BR, but then I decided to practice by making my bro an SMG, and then we decided to throw in a magnum simply because of our love for CE. We're using a snap-off blade utility knife, low temp hot glue, a $#!T ton of corrugated cardboard I got from work off a construction site (lol), and tacky glue. So without further ado, pics!

ProjectCarboardWeapons015.jpg

Here's what we started with, blueprints from wizardofflight and method from Marshon.

ProjectCarboardWeapons026.jpg

Taped it down on cardboard, and...

ProjectCarboardWeapons038.jpg

Tada!

ProjectCarboardWeapons044.jpg

Countless amounts of time you folks at home don't have to wait through!

ProjectCarboardWeapons050.jpg

This was something interesting I decided to try, instead of making the butt pieces of cardboard, I made it one smooth piece. We're gonna see if this comes around to bite me in the @$$ or not.

ProjectCarboardWeapons051.jpg

And even more time.

ProjectCarboardWeapons052.jpg

A pic of the hours getting to my assistant...

ProjectCarboardWeapons056.jpg

Aaaand, el fin! You'll notice I kept the handle locked in place, we didn't feel terribly ambitious.

And for the record.
ProjectCarboardWeapons057.jpg

That clock isn't displaying in PM right now.

More pictures to come as progress warrants/people ask.

SO! Opinions? Criticism?

looks like your onto a winner are you going to fill with anything ? rondo would be good it would make it a good weight and super strong. i hope it goes well for you.
nice work.

sonic

Actually, I'm not sure I'll even need that. This thing is already strong enough that Im pretty sure I could stand on it. It could definitely support 50 pounds on its side easy, from the front or back? Lol, well that's why there are more supports there :p

It's coming along nicely! I am curious, however, why the title of your thread says BR and Magnum, when you're building an SMG?

Like Rodimus said, post more pictures as you progress. Can't wait to see more.

This is a really good start! I like the idea of using marshon's build as a base to work off of (because you can't go wrong with borrowing the techniques of someone who did an awesome job). It looks like you have a good amount of supports in there. Before you seal it up, you would want to consider filling it with resin, rondo, or any other material simply because of the weight factor. Did you want it to feel like a heavy gun, or feel like a prop?. Also, cardboard likes to fall apart with large amounts of handling as well.
You could also coat it with a thin layer of resin or smooth-on, which would protect, cover, and strengthen it.

Well we wanna put magnets in it so we can actually hang it off our backs. So we don't want a realistic gun weight to be honest :p If things go according to plan this will get toted around conventions and in my experience stuff gets heavier as the shadows get longer xD So weight isn't really an objective here. As to it falling apart, I plan to do the best I can. If you look at some of the pics you'll see a LOT of hot glue, I'm not keen on this falling apart so I'm gonna TRY my best to protect the seams :/ Time will tell (and to be honest that's why I didn't start with my BR :p)

Moving on, thanks for all the advice everyone! This is really encouraging! However, work will be slow at best this week. I'm still out on a business trip (I feel so mature xD Travelling at 17 baby!) AND Harry Potters coming out Thursday, and I'm gonna try to slap together quidditch robes for it. Thing's should pick back up after that though. The next step is gonna be foamies.

For discussions sake! Any tips on where to put the magnets? (little rare earth studs is what we have right now, going for quantity here) Perhaps the nubs on the back of the stock?

Yes, double post for the update. Here's the deal, I did over half of this today over like a 6 hour period. Also, someone said more pics are always welcome.

You've been warned.

SO! Here's how far we got!
IMG_3458.jpg

Glued the side on and started detailing in foamie.

IMG_3463.jpg

I cut my template into pieces and just started tracing them.

TIP!
IMG_3467.jpg

Use rulers for drawing AND cutting! They can really make it nice! (I'm a bit of a hypocrite I freehanded through like 3/4 of today, but those were all NOT long cuts.)

ANOTHER TIP!
IMG_3472.jpg

When using hot glue on a large area, start at one edge and just work your way over. I just glued the edge I'm pointing at down, lifted it up, glued a little, and repeated!

IMG_3475.jpg

Making progress! :D

IMG_3477.jpg

And once again that little knife sharpener makes my day easier.

VERY Important tip
IMG_3478.jpg

RESPECT YOUR KNIVES

IMG_3481.jpg

Starting to do the perimeter in foamies.

IMG_3483.jpg

I got tired and my assistant took over for the night

IMG_3486.jpg

Me getting out of the shower and checking on his work

IMG_3485.jpg

THAT'S RIGHT LADIES! EAT YOUR HEART OUT! IT'S ME IN A TOWEL!

Moving on...
IMG_3493.jpg

The kid did okay!

Everything from here on happened today.

I got my craft table back from Dad and it was CLEAN! WHAT THE HECK?!
IMG_3497.jpg

It didn't last...

broke the image limit, like I said...
You've been warned.

Rightio! We press onward! (My undying to gratitude for those of you who are staying with me, I do things in bursts so this is what tends to happen :( )

IMG_3498.jpg

Little status reminder. So here's where I started today.

CAPTAIN! VE HAVE PROBLEM!
IMG_3500.jpg

The entire SMG is very flat. The gun IS flat! This actually makes it a nice gun to start with I've discovered. UNFORTUNATELY parts of it are indented, I didn't notice since I was using black and white outlines as my blueprints. When I looked up a reference pic in COLOR and from an angle, I decided this was a real problem.
SO! I decided to solve it by cutting out the areas, sealing off the damage, and building it back but to the proper depth.

IMG_3501.jpg

I just shouldn't have used a knife with a snap-off blade to do it.

IMG_3502.jpg

THIS OUGHTA WORK BETTER!

IMG_3503.jpg

And it's hollowed out!

Taking a short break!
Marshon's tip on how to build a non slip ruler is a LIFESAVER! It's DIRT cheap, easy, and more than worth it! I STRONGLY encourage you to go do this!
IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

Just glue a foamie to the bottom of your ruler :p NOT THAT HARD! especially at like $0.40 dollars for a sheet bigger than your head.

Back on track
IMG_3507.jpg

Started gluing from one edge of the cardboard, I lined up the corrugation so I could bend it and get most of this in one strip. Just glued my way down ^_^

IMG_3508.jpg

Sealed off all the edges (it was terrible before, believe me)

IMG_3510.jpg

My habit of smearing hot glue into cracks is catching up to me. This is why I use low temp whenever possible.

IMG_3511.jpg

These projects aren't nice to my hands ;_;

IMG_3512.jpg

Had to go help stain a deck. This helped kill the monotony while I waited for my glue gun to warm back up.

More after the song!

Now we'll start off with religion.
IMG_3517.jpg

That's the snap off blade. The red stuff on it is my blood. I think this unintentional sacrifice may have pleased some pagan crafting god's, cause that thing's really good for trimming edges now... 0_o

another VERY essential tool!
IMG_3522.jpg

WATER BOTTLE!!! :D (Don't you judge my mischief smile!)

IMG_3523.jpg

Filled in the stock of the SMG. It looks SOOO much better! It was irksome to do but more than worth it! The gun looks 1000 times better for it! These little annoyances really make the gun look better! (PS the sharpie is a spacer so that it came out even.)

IMG_3524.jpg

There's what you should do, and what's gonna work. I SHOULD have just measured it. What worked was sticking it through, marking it with a sharpie, and cutting out. I'm so lazy...

IMG_3525.jpg

Whilst building the back of the trigger guard it occurred to me that I needed to cut over to allow for the extra thickness from the side panel. Thinking ahead is a good thing I've decided.

IMG_3528.jpg

'Kay guys, here's what happened. I filled in the stock with a piece of foamie, but it looked like crap. So I took it all the foamie back off (A LOT harder than it sounds) and rounded the edges with the poor Xacto knife (he's such a trooper). After those difficulties I only did the flat bottom in foamie. After that I used these guys.
IMG_3499.jpg

These are my old notecards from my junior research paper. I WAS going to burn them, but I kinda like this better.

IMG_3529.jpg

LET'S GO CARDSTOCK!

IMG_3532.jpg

TADA!

IMG_3534.jpg

Gouged a hole for the barrel.

IMG_3535.jpg

Cut a piece of pipe and backed it w cardboard.

IMG_3536.jpg

Put another piece of cardboard in in the hopes of holding in the cardboard.

IMG_3537.jpg

I got REALLY tired of losing my ruler amongst the foamies. PROBLEM SOLVED!

You thought we were done didn't you? :p You silly goose!

IMG_3538.jpg

Got the barrel in! I put cardboard IN the pipe, then covered it with cardstock. It's surprisingly strong! I can swing the thing around by the barrel and it only gets a little crooked.

IMG_3540.jpg

Hurray!

IMG_3541.jpg

Okey dokey! Next up, trigger!

IMG_3542.jpg

Traced my space for the trigger, cut it out, drew a trigger in, and cut THAT out! Now I have a trigger stencil ^_^

IMG_3543.jpg

traced stencil on cardboard (and freehanded a little to make it better)

IMG_3545.jpg

And I have a trigger!

IMG_3547.jpg

I then used my Xacto knife to gouge out space for said trigger.

IMG_3548.jpg

Then I glued in the trigger.

Thx for staying with!
IMG_3552.jpg

Okay, watch this little guy! He becomes important!

IMG_3553.jpg

Reinforced what edges of the trigger I could, that little guy is that strip on the bottom. I also put two strips on the sides.

LAST PIC FOR THE NIGHT! WHOOHOO!
IMG_3556.jpg

Finished trigger, put on some foamies to make it look nice.

SO! less pics next time? :p I have to thank all of you who waded through all this. Like I said, I spent at least six hours on it today not including staining a deck, cleaning bicycles, and getting ready to go camping.

EDIT: I cleaned up a lot of that hot glue for the record.
ALSO! For those of you who were talking about resining it, I may do that or plastidip the outside so that it's less likely to get beat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back