Props Completed Scratchbuilt Railgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshon

I have been working on a weapon for my Halo suit. I decided to have something original so I went for this railgun by a games concept artist:

Rail_Gun_Rifle_Final_Render_by_ProlificPen.jpg

I made a few minor alterations to his design, and I dropped the white colour since it looked a bit too 'District 9' for my liking.
Anyway, here's what I finally came up with.

railgun006.jpg

railgun005.jpg

railgun004.jpg

railgun003.jpg

railgun002.jpg

railgun001.jpg

The finished product is fantastic. Each time I see your work I have to do a double take and remember it is cardboard.

On a side note: Your photos are really good quality. Its nice to see people take time when presenting their work. Great props can get lost when people don't take the time to photograph them right. With that said I know you have been in the business for a long time so I don't mean to insult, but if you would like to eliminate the line between the floor and your background I would suggest the two methods I use when photographing work for my professional artist's portfolio. I use either a clean bed sheet for large pieces (any neutral color but I stick with white or medium gray) or a large sheet of sulfite drawing paper for smaller work. Drape the paper or sheet from the floor and let it curve upward to create the background. With proper lighting the curve will blend in and it will appear as though your work is "floating" in the background with no obvious breaks in ground and background. Again if I'm preaching to the choir I do apologize, but the teacher in me just couldn't pass up the chance to share knowledge.

Again if I'm preaching to the choir I do apologize, but the teacher in me just couldn't pass up the chance to share knowledge.

No need to apologize, I'm none to bothered, you see I was (am) a professional photographer as well. I lost my job, studio and all my equipment when I got made redundant 18 months ago.
These were taken at 3 in the morning on my kitchen table using two towels. I have no space to put up the 3 metre background roll in my little house, so I'm reasonably pleased with em.

The finished product is fantastic. Each time I see your work I have to do a double take and remember it is cardboard.

On a side note: Your photos are really good quality. Its nice to see people take time when presenting their work. Great props can get lost when people don't take the time to photograph them right. With that said I know you have been in the business for a long time so I don't mean to insult, but if you would like to eliminate the line between the floor and your background I would suggest the two methods I use when photographing work for my professional artist's portfolio. I use either a clean bed sheet for large pieces (any neutral color but I stick with white or medium gray) or a large sheet of sulfite drawing paper for smaller work. Drape the paper or sheet from the floor and let it curve upward to create the background. With proper lighting the curve will blend in and it will appear as though your work is "floating" in the background with no obvious breaks in ground and background. Again if I'm preaching to the choir I do apologize, but the teacher in me just couldn't pass up the chance to share knowledge.

Thanks for the info. I need to work on photo's myself.

marshon, Once again Thanks for taking you're time to show this to us. I'ts always nice to watch something being done from a different POV. And being I personally never worked with foamy's before this Halo stuff I'm learning allot from you're work.

WHOO HOO!!! That's awesome! I really like how the rail gun turned out Marshon. Seeing it come to life step by step makes it all the better. Thanks alot for the tutorial and sharing your work with us.

No need to apologize, I'm none to bothered, you see I was (am) a professional photographer as well. I lost my job, studio and all my equipment when I got made redundant 18 months ago.

Redundant? That is one of the most insulting phrases I've ever heard used to describe an artist or craftsman. It hurts to hear someone would actually describe you or your work that way. As a photography teacher and a freelance photographer I see your situation being repeated everywhere I turn and it saddens me. I wish you the best and hope you never get labeled "redundant" again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back