kevlar

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3ntalrock

I made various armor parts (fiberglass fiber inside and resin on the outside) and i was wondering is there a substitute to fiberglass that is "stronger"? sure fiberglass makes the pepakura strong but i feel restricted in my armor cause I feel it can crack or shatter.

Is Kevlar strips a possibility for the inside of armor creations?

Also i know how expensive it can be for I have seen prices range from $10 to $50 per sq yard at .012" thick.

Carbon fiber is a possibility, though you're going to dump a lot of money into it. more than it's worth. Kevlar, same thing. I believe someone has done it, but... That's the problem with fiberglass, it's nice and strong, but it's also very brittle. 1 way around this is to use foam, with will almost never crack. But if you do choose to use carbon fiber or kevlar, make sure it's a project you're willing to sink a LOT of time and money into. You've really only got 1 shot to do it, and you'd better do it right.

A carbon fiber suit would be a freakin nightmare. A buddy of mine makes motorcycle tire huggers and he absolutely hates to make carbon fiber ones. Sure, they look gorgeous, but they take 3-4 times longer to perfect because of the pin holes in the clear coat.

I'm doing a real armor project and working with kevlar and carbonfiber. I picked up 10 yards by 64" of kevlar for 150 off ebay. its really not that hard to work with, if you have the right shears. As for carbon fiber your looking at 200-300 for 10 yards at 48-54 inches. make sure you use twill as normal weave does not take shapes to easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back