Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Mary mother of .....

That thing is gonna be HUGE. But then it is a space marine so the size looks great. You've got my creative mind running wild with ideas for how to make a convincing Terminator Librarian.

Yesterday I started on the toe:
6144311608_1855e890cf_o.jpg

Then I glued myself to it for a brief time:
6143760727_dd69d7b379_o.jpg

The boot is going to be big. THIS big:
6143760835_cc688657b1_o.jpg

Does anyone know what a 22" long shoe size is in UK men's sizes?

Stay tuned for more...

It's gotten bigger:
6149150867_aeee274d93_b.jpg

Here it is sitting on a pair of standard 5-gallon buckets:
6149701874_d7fc59f980_b.jpg

I coated the boot parts with resin as well:
6149150837_024df26a6c_b.jpg
In the background you can see my new H3 spartan boot prototypes. They're big, clunky shoes and the pair of them will both fit inside the space marine boot.

Now I just need to figure out what size shoe is 21" long and 11" wide. Preferably in UK men's sizes.

God this build is going to be massive, but then a space marine is suppose to be 8ft tall. As always I'm just blown away by your work. Keep it up!

I can't wait to see how you rig up the internal structure of this build so it will be wearable. This is my new favorite thread just for the problem solving I know you will showcase. I love challenging builds. Good luck Thorn, you are true prop-master at work.

Wow Thorssoli, This is massive. But after watching you're builds I already know its going to be Epic build and fun to watch. I too have added this to my list. Keep us posted and in awe of you're skills.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. As I've mentioned before, feedback is like fuel for my projects.

Today the legs happened:
6168856658_54f761abb6_b.jpg

The pieces are big:
6168856692_df68e9425e_b.jpg

On occasion, I've wondered whether or not the full-scale build could function as a wearable costume. It wasn't until I tested the fit of these parts that I finally felt like it would work:
6168856716_5746afe546_b.jpg

The ankle hole on the greave wasn't cut out all the way, so the shin was actually sitting a lot higher than it will be when it's done. The finished shin and thigh pieces will sit several inches lower. Even so, it looks like it will work. I may even be able to crouch:
6168856758_ae18d80d57_b.jpg

The boots and shins are close enough to symmetrical that I'll be able to get away with only one forming buck to make the parts for both the left and right sides. The same will go for the arm parts. That means I'm very nearly done with building pep models for this outfit.

Tomorrow there will be fiberglass.

Stay tuned...

Oh my god a thorssoli thread I can reply to! (but not for long, haha, not once this gets elited and i'm a long way from infantry)

Wanted to ask, what's the glue you're using to assemble the peps and what's its bonding time before it sticks?

For pep builds, I use a cyanoacrylate adhesive. Brand names vary from Insta Cure to Krazy Glue to Zap-a-Gap. Bonding time varies from a few seconds to "dammit, my fingers are stuck again." You can make it bond faster by using an accelerator such as Zip Kicker. I don't know why anyone would use anything else.

Just so you know, I've only got the one thread in the elite forum. Other threads I'm particularly proud of are my Isaac Clarke build, or my weapons builds, or my HALO3 Marine build. I'm not sure how they decide what goes in the elite section. Maybe I need to do a few photoshoots to showcase the finished stuff. Who knows...

Regardless, hopefully folks are learning some new tricks or at least getting a few ideas when they do find my build threads.

Okay first off, all I could think to say when I saw the legs was "massive."

Secondly, you have definately given me ideas, and new techniques that I'll be applying with new projects. As always thank you so much for sharing your knowledge so freely.

Epic work as always thorssoli! :) It is so great to see a full scale version of the spacemarine armor. I can't wait to see how it all goes together.

You, sir, are insane... insanely AWESOME! Thanks for sharing, you are inspirational and give valuable insight into how to do this stuff.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

Yesterday my friend Matt helped out by glassing some of the parts:
6171272567_a01b309ee5_b.jpg

Meanwhile, I was grinding down some of the high corners on the chest:
6171803640_d82c065e7c_b.jpg

Somewhere along the way we decided we had to stack it all up for an idea of the size again:
6171272611_b4efc87b25_b.jpg

It's still huge.

So yesterday my friend Matt stopped by again and we cranked out the pep models for the left arm. Here's a time-lapse video of the build:

Here's the finished product after some glassing and grinding:
6176146540_01fe796d57_b.jpg

The forearm alone is almost as long as my whole arm:
6175618185_b1e2b5805a_b.jpg

Here's another shot of the parts in progress:
6175618151_d87e778be2_b.jpg

Stay tuned...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your build threads never cease to amuse and amaze me, thor. That foot is ridiculous.

On page 2, you had a QR code in the background, and I tried to scan it...but iPods don't like monitors....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back