Thorssoli's Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd that that wasn't worthy of even a single comment...

Pressing on, yesterday we made some progress on the diaper:
6743618769_80ecd90bea_b.jpg

6743618647_39ccd4daa9_b.jpg

We should be able to pull copies today. Stay tuned...

Only because we are only just beginning to recover from seeing it's awesomeness! It's a bit hard to be sure by looking at the pics, but I assume you have cut the diaper in half down the center, yes? If so why didn't you do it from side to side?

I'm glad you liked the article. I usually put a lot of effort into my build write-ups, so it's nice to hear they're appreciated.

It's a bit hard to be sure by looking at the pics, but I assume you have cut the diaper in half down the center, yes? If so why didn't you do it from side to side?

Wherever we cut it, there was going to have to be some filler work. Cutting it into left and right leaves a seam that runs right down the front and back, yes, but if we'd cut it into front and back there would've been a lot of undercuts and problems all over the place.

It was pretty damned cold in the workshop today (the only source of heat is the drum heaters for the casting resin and there's no real insulation in the walls) so we had some really horrible time trying to cook plastic for vacforming. Nice as the shop is, I've decided it's time to start looking for an upgrade. My little workspace is being overrun by garden gnomes.

Tomorrow I should have a couple of functional diapers. Stay tuned...

Thorssoli,

First off, I have to say that I really respect you man, So please don't take this the wrong way but, I feel that one of the reasons people don't post a lot on your work is the fact that we rarely see you post in any one else's threads unless it is something they are working on that was bought from you. It seems like the only reason you are here is to post on your work, and your work alone. Again, you seem like an awesome guy and this is only an observation. I could be totally wrong and if I am so be it, but it is something I have noticed.

On a side note, your side project helmet turned out amazing. You are definitely one of the best at what you do. Keep up the great work.:)

Fair enough. It's usually pretty late in my day by the time I get done in the workshop and get around to posting pics. On the few occasions I find myself with the time to browse around other people's projects, I usually tend to just do a lot of reading and not much writing. Most of the time when I do post in someone else's threads it's because someone's sent me a link and asked me to chime in (hence posts in progress threads based on my kits). The rest of the time it's when I think I have a helpful or insightful reply to a direct question posed by the author. I'm here specifically to share methods and ideas. When I'm looking around for ideas or guidance, I usually post in threads where I find it. I also try to limit my posts to either value-added comments that the thread author or other readers might find helpful, or questions which other readers might want answers to as well.

Lately I've just been charging forward on my own builds, sharing what I can, and not doing much in the way of research here. That said, there's usually a lot of traffic on all of the threads so I'm usually a bit surprised when I don't see any comments at all after I post what feels to me like a significant step forward. I don't mean to seem hypocritical. Not everyone posts like I do, so I was just commenting on an apparent anomaly.

Back on topic, here's some crummy cellphone pics:
6769642243_1680415943_b.jpg

But you get the idea:
6769639775_0741b12356_b.jpg

Stay tuned...

That's one of my old bolter casts from way back in 2005 (or 2006?). It looks big held by a normal person, but it's too small for the full-sized Space Marine. Here's a shot of one all painted up:
Finished006.jpg

You can read about that build here: http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com/2011/09/past-project-warhammer-40000-space.html

The finished castings are also too heavy to carry around on the end of an extended arm. This means I'm going to have to do a new bolter build that will be mostly vacformed parts with a few resin details. That'll be later, after I finish making the bolt pistol and chainsword. Then I'll need to make a plasma pistol, a heavy bolter...

In the meantime, I now have two shins for even more ridiculous photos:
6790049499_170a8028a3_b.jpg

With that done, my friend Matt cut out forms and we pulled pieces for the edges of the shoulders:
6790050625_0f848a6924_b.jpg

They add a nice finished look to the thin vacformed plastic shoulder:
6790049821_89d746cd31_b.jpg

They also make for a better fit with the chest armor:
6790049685_95d2a26b98_b.jpg

In other news, I've started sculpting trim parts for the chest:
6790049335_d78e0ee432_b.jpg

The plan is to mold and cast the wings separately. That way I can make the center either a skull, an eagle, or a chapter logo as needed.

Stay tuned...

The boots are foam filled and fairly solid. I'm actually standing on top of them. This gives me about a foot of extra height at this point. Once I add the flexfoam soles, there will be another inch at least.

I started blocking out the palms:
6808266233_19d0d406ce_o.jpg

They're big:
6808266415_de57cdec80_o.jpg

Lots of progress planned for the next couple of days. Stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back