Scout build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionHighlander

After finishing the JFO build with Satchmo III, I have start building a scout helmet. During the last week I have finished the Pepakura model, the first inner coat of rondo and 2 layers of fiber glass. Currently I am working on the outer final bondo layer and the hardest process of sanding. It's looking good so far, but there is a long ways to go.

Work log
August 8-13 I plan to finish all of the sanding, cut in all the details and at least put one coat of primer.
August 14-20 Finish all of the paint (weather look), finish visor, Start wiring in fans and leds, and start padding
Finish sortly after

IMAG0006a.jpg
IMAG0048-1.jpg
IMAG0050a.jpg
IMAG00063.jpg

IMAG00083.jpg

Looks good!

Is it possible that your particle filters are inserted the wrong way? :)
The side that has the text and pictures on it should face the cartridge according to 3M's instructions. But don't switch them over now, if you've already used them, use new ones for that.

It does not matter what side the filters are on as long as they are fully sealed, and the small side of the filter is facing forward.

I love this helmet so much, it was so easy to pep and complete it. I look forward to see how you finish it.

Second week of work

So far this week I almost have all of the bondo done. There are just a few spots I need to touch up with some spot putty. Currently I am in the stages of final sanding with 120 and 220 grit sand paper. After finishing sanding, I plan to start fitting the visor. After that I can start to paint. It’s really coming along good but going to are cabin every week has really slowed me down, still coming along rather fast still.

IMAG0002.jpg
IMAG0004.jpg
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0012.jpg

Week three of my scout build

This week has been a very busy week around the house. I haven’t had much time to work on it. Final sandy is just about finished still. There are still a few places i need to touch up though. This week i did get the lenses for the leds cut, I am not going to install them until I paint. I also cut openings in the front for fans, and made some fins on the outside to cover them up out of 14g aluminum, and then hot glued them in place.I also cut in all of the detail lines.

IMAG0033.jpg
IMAG0047.jpg
IMAG0046.jpg
IMAG0035.jpg
IMAG0036.jpg

Looking good. I think the aluminum louvers will really give the helmet a realistic touch.

It looks like you have some interesting mount-points for the fans. Can you describe what the mount-points are and how you installed them?

Over the past several days i accomplished a lot of tasks. So far i cut out the visor, still working on a way to mount it though and still have to cut the detail lines into it. The lights are ready to be installed with the fogged lensed, cut out of Lexan plastic, and fogged with a wire brush in my dremal. The fans are also ready to be installed, to install them I used some lock tight repair putty and the original mounting post from the intercooler. I also managed to finish most of the final panting. Sometime in the near future I plan to make it look aged and worn.

IMAG0039-1b.jpg
IMAG0033-1a.jpg
IMAG0032.jpg
IMAG0047-1a.jpg
IMAG0076a.jpg
IMAG0081a.jpg

past several days

In the past few days I did a lot of work. I finished all the electronics (fans, leds), I think the wiring is one of the cleaner jobs I seen. I even though of covering the leds on the inside with some wiring tape so you can't see my face when they are on. The visor is mounted, and the detail lines are cut into it. I also managed to finish most of the paint, including the black wash and worn look thanks to Adam Gumbo's tutorial (
). The only thing I need to do as the paint goes is a few yellow strips by the visor. I still need to figure out what I am going to do for the padding, but I plan to get some 2 inch foam, and cut out a few strips to place them in the top. Then it is completely finished.

IMAG0092b.jpg
IMAG0109.jpg
IMAG0104a.jpg
IMAG0124a.jpg
IMAG0090a.jpg
IMAG0086a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
blah darn computer, if this shows up twice it had an error posting my first reply* veery good work, i just pep'd a scout helm too, but i really like the model you used, great body (filler) work too, cant wait to see it all finished.

Over the past week, with school starting and all, I haven’t had very much time to work on my helmet. I did manage to finish all of the padding though. There is not too much to do any more, just a few yellow detail strips and then it will be finished. I already started a mrk V (a), but all i had time to do on it is one layer of rondo.

IMAG0136a.jpg
IMAG0139a.jpg
IMAG0114a.jpg

Wow, very neat! I love the perfection you saw into your work. Keep it up and I hope your MK-V(a) comes out well...

It's finished!!

My scout helmet is finally finished. It’s been a wail sense I have updated my tread, haven’t had much time now that school has started. Recently I finished the last few detail lines with some modeling paint. I am surprised how it turned out; it looks really good, especially for it being only my second helmet and being my first helmet that I have done alone.

IMAG0121-1.jpg
IMAG0145.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back