**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it resin or is it epoxy? I saw the epoxy in the background of the last boot photo. About time somebody tried this direction. It should still be slightly flexible, but hard enough at the surface to sand (and Bondo). If it works out, you've solved a great problem with foam--eliminating the seams.

Brilliant--if it works of course!

Redshirt

I believe a while ago someone came up with a method of brushing 3 or 4 layers of SmoothCast on to foam pieces to seal and strengthen the foam enough to make it as strong as a fiberglass piece. You could even bondo it after, but the thing is smoothcast is expensive in comparison to fiberglass resin.

Carpathia, I like where this is going. Its kinda cool to see new ideas like this popping up. Do you plan to resin the heel or only the toes to round out the shape?

It's actually this stuff...

2016-Opened1-231x300.jpg

It is a type of resin, but it's primary purpose is more of a wood finish for bar tops or similar applications. I've used it before (on my handplates) and I've been using it for various projects for years. I've had this on my mind for a long time, and have even done some test pieces where I took pieces of scrap foam and coated it in this stuff and painted it. On the scrap pieces, it worked very well. The resin filled all the little pits and imperfections of the foam, creating a nice smooth surface. The painted piece matched the look my fiberglass armor pretty well; the foam remained flexible and the paint did not crack or flake off, even when bending the piece pretty drastically (and this was just Krylon paint, nothing special). I've got pictures and a few videos on one of my computers, I can't find them at the moment; as soon as I do, I'll post them here. I have not tried to apply bondo to this yet. We'll see how it goes, but I think it will work out pretty well.

Carpathia, I like where this is going. Its kinda cool to see new ideas like this popping up. Do you plan to resin the heel or only the toes to round out the shape?

I plan on applying this to the entire boot. First, I have to get the buckles installed in the heel and cover pieces. With the cover piece attached to the heel piece, I can apply a little heat to the foam and get the shape and connection points right before I apply the resin.

oh my god dude this is amazing when i saw mark "VI build" i though it was iron man but now that i have saw the halo armour (properly built) dude you have me hooked
never in all my time on these fouroms have i saw a better build! well done and good luck (P.S love the gun on PG #1)

All the best
,Speedtrix:cool

truly a masterpiece :D are all the LED's powered individually or have you got some sort of controller?

truly a masterpiece :D are all the LED's powered individually or have you got some sort of controller?

Each armor piece that has LEDs integrated into them has their own power source and switch. It was just easier to build it that way rather than try to make a ton of connections I'd have to worry about as I put on my armor. This way, I slip the armor piece on, and flip a switch that is easily accessible while I'm wearing the suit.

Each armor piece that has LEDs integrated into them has their own power source and switch. It was just easier to build it that way rather than try to make a ton of connections I'd have to worry about as I put on my armor. This way, I slip the armor piece on, and flip a switch that is easily accessible while I'm wearing the suit.

ok cool cheers :D

I've got a little more news about the short film. The director took a little time off from working on it because he graduated college, then moved out to California. He contacted me the other day to let me know that it's nearing completion. He's waiting on a voice-over to come in, then he's got to refine the audio a bit. After that, all that's left is outro credits.

734f059f-1794-4b28-92d9-6a9f0189a3dc_zps76b4d693.jpg

i just have to say

carpathiavh99

your suit is amazing in every tiny little angle i can see.

you sir are awesome. and i hope mine can come remotely close to a tiny bit of your suit.

im transitioning from stormtrooper armor to this. you are my inspiration.

Thanks, Fuzzy.

The film is nearing completion. All the director is waiting on is the finish of the credits. He should have them sometime this week; then he'll put it into the film and release it!

over all a sick build I love seeing these finished projects, they remind me why I started building costumes, but would you recommend a morph suit for an easy way to have an undersuit?

Not unless you have a spartan body. If you're built, then a morph suit could be ok, but it still lacks the detail of the in-game undersuit. Honestly, putting together my undersuit out of vinyl wasn't difficult and the cost was practically nothing (the vinyl they were selling was the last few feet on a few rolls, so it was marked way down). Also, IMO, a properly built undersuit adds quite a bit of character to the suit that very few other suits have.

Oh, and this suit is not "finished." :D Complete, but never finished. I'm always looking for ways to improve the overall fit.

ah I see, thanks for the tips, and that's not finished?! well then that's impressive, I mean I have some builds but that's impressive, and I'm not building a mark 6 I'm doing up a halo 4 Spartan 4, any suggestions?

Thanks Raragirl. I'm starting to think that the novelty of Halo 3 builds is wearing off; so it's nice when I get a comment on my on-going build.

I'm still working on the new foam boots, but I've also started on the suit's first permutation, CQB. I've started pepping L3X BLU3R1V3R's CQB helmet, and let me tell you, it's a beauty. I'll get pictures up as soon as I get it pepped; as of right now, the top bowl is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back