**Carpathia's Mk VI Armor: Master Chief Going into Cryostasis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I'm trying to work out a "coolsuit" for venting armor costumes. Has anyone else done this?
If not, do you think many 405th armor builders would be interested in me posting it?

I built a pair of coolshirt copies for running in an open sportscar in Arizona because I was too cheap to buy real ones. They worked--kind of. I would look at the Coolshirt website http://www.coolshirt.com/ to help your thought process. My experience was that home made was much bulkier and leakier than the pro product. Building one for armor that is worthwhile is a tall order as they require a good amount of power and a bulky cooler unit, though they now build a portable unit for firefighters. These were originally military for tank crews under body armor, then adapted for race car drivers. If doing one for armor, I'd go half commercial/half home made. I'd buy the brand-name shirt itself and try to build the pump/cooler unit custom into a suit back pack. Even so, you'll go through lots of ice very quickly (possibly every half hour) and need a plan to drain the water and get blocks of ice replaced. This is where it may become not worth it. Good luck.

Redshirt

To put it bluntly, with my own suit, I have zero issues with over heating. The clothing I wear under the undersuit (which is only the torso section) breathes very well. So, when you look into what to wear under your suit, choose something that breathes.

As for decent reference pictures, I have a collection of screen caps from the game in a zip file on my 4shared account...

http://www.4shared.com/zip/D7NKEWDU/Reference.html?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY you old fart. yeah I know its a necro post

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Crimmson! Yeah, necro post, but whatever, the thread is technically still active. I'm in a bit of a hiatus right now, but my workshop is up and running. Just a matter of time before I get back to it.

I've been spending most of my time lately with my family (second daughter was born last week), and working on airsoft guns (a relatively new hobby). Keeps me busy.

Thanks Crimmson! Yeah, necro post, but whatever, the thread is technically still active. I'm in a bit of a hiatus right now, but my workshop is up and running. Just a matter of time before I get back to it.

I've been spending most of my time lately with my family (second daughter was born last week), and working on airsoft guns (a relatively new hobby). Keeps me busy.

congrats on your second daughter. I have two daughters as well as two shotguns

Did someone say airsoft!!??

What's the project? PM if you'd like. I'd be happy to share how not to do it!

Congrats of the new baby girl. Crimson's right, a shotgun probably is a perfect accessory.

Redshirt

Redshirt

No specific project as of now. I've taken to teching other's guns as a way to fund the hobby (and possibly fund my armor-building hobby as well). Your Spaser was a delight to follow, especially after I got into airsoft and realized you were using three gearboxes in your design.

And thanks! I need to have something. Cleaning a shotgun when her first date arrives should be intimidating, but a bit too stereotypical these days. Now, an AR-15 disassembled on the kitchen table and me meticulously cleaning each part, that might be something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hnnnnnnghghgh I thoroughly enjoyed the short film and am eagerly awaiting the completion of the cryo pod. Lights are on the way...and smoke/fog machine maybe? A man can hope haha

I've updated the OP with my latest progress. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel where the shins are concerned. Let me know what you think of my idea of how to put them on.

How do you cut something after you've hardened it without losing too much material?

How do you cut something after you've hardened it without losing too much material?

In the case of the post you quoted, I cut the shin apart with a dremel with a rotary cutter attachment (though I ended up not using those shins because they were too small). In other cases, like when I split my torso, I used an X-acto saw blade; they are very thin, so they don't remove a lot of the material.

Quick update. I got all but a few of the electronic components for the cryostasis pod display panel (still need a PC board and a power supply). So, depending on time and funds, I may be able to get a real start on this soon.

CP_zps7c4165f3.jpg

The cryo pod is on hold at the moment. I have nearly all the electronic components to build the status panel, but funds to purchase the materials for the pod itself are severely lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back