halo reach custom foam armor wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice colour selection for the helmet. I'm not too keen on steel ingame but in the flesh it looks a lot more impressive. It also goes pretty well with the weathering you did, it stands out but not too much.

Well its been a long time... but here's an update for all of you. I apologize for the crappy phone camera pics. My SD for my t2i broke. :(

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

and theres only one bicep. the reason for that being is that It was perfectly fine this morning, until I went and put on some satin clear finish. It did not like my bicep one bit. The black wash was disappearing and the grey color was getting significantly lighter than it was originally. Looks like I'm stuck with gloss finish. :( Its really weird because they are both the same brand of spray paint (Krylon).

the chest is also getting worked on too. I've decided to remove the black parts that are supposed to be soft armor and actually make some pleather inserts for them. it will look much nicer and make the chest easier to get out of.

Also on a last note one thing that I've been noticing about these foam pieces is that they are a lot more fragile than i would have expected. Some pieces are beginning to crack in certain areas. This of course is after having full coats of paint and mod podge. Anyone else have this problem?

well that was everything. Strapping will commence soon. I gotta get the boots finished real quick too. not too much left before I'm done!

Simple solution to the Gloss vs. Satin spray.

option 1 - spray the gloss since you know it doesn't ruin the wash job, then mist spray a few coats of satin over after curing. Should take out the gloss effect.

alternatively, option 2 - Anti-Shine Matte Varnish Spray from http://www.thearmypainter.com .... I use the varnish dip method for knocking out hundreds of skaven and tyranids for warhammer, and it leaves a high gloss shine. This stuff takes it right off. Pretty sure its just a matte or satin clear coat, but its an option nonetheless...

Simple solution to the Gloss vs. Satin spray.

option 1 - spray the gloss since you know it doesn't ruin the wash job, then mist spray a few coats of satin over after curing. Should take out the gloss effect.

alternatively, option 2 - Anti-Shine Matte Varnish Spray from http://www.thearmypainter.com .... I use the varnish dip method for knocking out hundreds of skaven and tyranids for warhammer, and it leaves a high gloss shine. This stuff takes it right off. Pretty sure its just a matte or satin clear coat, but its an option nonetheless...

MY VIEW COUNT... IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm just going to go with the gloss. The miniature paints get really expensive. Thanks anyway though!

I made some new boots because I didn't like my ones that I had last post. They're not 100% finished, but they are close enough to where you get the point. Made form the dawn under haven pep files. Those guys really do some amazing work over there. I'm glad I donated and I cant wait to see more files from them!
IMG_00801.jpg

This is looking really nice man! Looking forward to seeing you all suited up :)

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

This is looking really nice man! Looking forward to seeing you all suited up :)

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

thanks! your foam suit is pretty awesome, too! As for being suited up, it's not too far away, I just have to finish the boots and chest. Everything else is ready for strapping!

Speaking of the matter, I pulled out my vinyl from storage, and I'm ready to start sewing the black armor parts for the chest. I decided to just use the templates from the pep file to create a pattern. I'm gonna have to sew it by hand, though.My mom has a machine, but i'm not sure it can handle the thickness of the vinyl, though. Tonight I'm working on getting the patterns completely finished, with seam allowances and everything. Wish me luck!

and here's a pic I took just for fun.
IMG_3776.jpg

Hey man :) your thread is awesome by the way :)

I loked to your helmet and I saw you did'nt istaled any fans or anything like it :) Sine you were wondering if you shold put some into there I tought I'd help you a bit ^^ So, if I had to tell you something, it would be to go for it !!! You'll be so pleased and suprised about the result and how easy it is :) !!!!

For the electronics expertise, have no fear :) I'm 17 and I did mine myself :) I could provide you some help If you want since I know everybody can do it whit a litle bit of guidance :D But first if you want, you always can take a look to my bulid thread. I also use to work on one of steeve's cast ( eod ) and I've put a video on it yesterday showing realy quickly how I setted those up :) but for further infos PM me and I'll make a pleasure to help you out :).

Just to show you quickly how I setted it up here's a picture :)

560803_150114488467807_540088954_n.jpg

Have a nice one, and DONT STOP you have gone so far into this build so why give up now :)

Max ... VividTEX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back