kevlar in place of fiberglass anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question has been asked before and the answer usually always is its too expensive and besides, Kevlar is best when its cloth form not in a rigid state.Also carbon fiber also was suggested and again expensive unless one has a free source of the materials then carry on.

Style 281, 8" Wide X 5 oz./yd.² , Kevlar Tape, Roll / $265.50 / 50yds.

yes its gonna be expensive, but this project takes over a year to make, that expense is broken up over time. this project should take about 3-5 rolls.

so yes expensive. but has anyone actualy ever used it or am i going to be the first true spartan?

Style 281, 8" Wide X 5 oz./yd.² , Kevlar Tape, Roll / $265.50 / 50yds.

yes its gonna be expensive, but this project takes over a year to make, that expense is broken up over time. this project should take about 3-5 rolls.

so yes expensive. but has anyone actualy ever used it or am i going to be the first true spartan?

I don't think anyone has felt the need to go to that much expense. :) Besides how many people are going to try to stop a bullet or blade in this armour? Good luck with it if you do go that route.

Many years ago someone did do a kevlar in place of fiberglass. He could only do it because his dad worked at a place that did testing with the stuff. In the end it was a big mess, a waste of time and all of that fun stuff. The best that the suit could protect him from was a sub sonic .22. So yeah this is a really poor idea, just posting this since it has been done before with poor results.

I don't think anyone has felt the need to go to that much expense. :) Besides how many people are going to try to stop a bullet or blade in this armour? Good luck with it if you do go that route.
Kevlar only works like that in layers like in vests. A single layer like in this application is just going to make it extremely tough.

Super overkill and a waste of material to be honest.

Im very curious as to why you want to use Kevlar?

He probably dreams of being a vigilante! I read an article about a guy who built a suit of armor (not Halo related) that used kevlar layered between sheets of titanium, and for his visor he used 2'' bullet proof glass. It weighed nearly 150lb, and he claimed it was capable of stopping anything short of AP rounds and .50cals. I've looked for it in the past but wasn't able to find it, it's possible it was just a dream =/

Except replacing 1 layer of fiberglass with 1 lay of kevlar won't stop a bullet just like Zat German said. But that would be awesome, you know for home defense reasons lol.

The guy who bought my ODST chest plate mold did a few casts in kevlar... Stops buckshot at point-blank range... Not impossible, just expencive.

And I have seen a Master Chief somewhere around here that was cast in kevlar. The full costume weighed in at around 125lbs, so not practical to troop in or even use in a military situation.

my wife would have a problem with the vigilante part..

no i have access to kevlar, and i was wondering if its been done before. it would probably be cheaper for me to do in kevlar than in fiberglass as i get kevlar for free

Except replacing 1 layer of fiberglass with 1 lay of kevlar won't stop a bullet just like Zat German said. But that would be awesome, you know for home defense reasons lol.

So.. if it doesn't provide protection, then how is it awesome for home defense? That doesn't make any sense.

I would also like to point out that aramid fibres (Kevlar is a tradename, and just for one of them) have a lot more applications than just bullet protection. But that still doesn't make them practical for prop making.

no i have access to kevlar, and i was wondering if its been done before. it would probably be cheaper for me to do in kevlar than in fiberglass as i get kevlar for free

Then go ahead and try them out.

So.. if it doesn't provide protection, then how is it awesome for home defense? That doesn't make any sense.

You need a minimum of 3 or 4 layers of the kevlar cloth stacked on top of each other to start stopping bullets with reliability. The more layers, the more protection. I think kevlar vests start at something like 15 or 20.

my wife would have a problem with the vigilante part..

Post some pep pics and some kevlar pics soo i have some idea of what you are doing please.

Post some pep pics and some kevlar pics soo i have some idea of what you are doing please.

as for the kevlar, i get these for free (one case of 14) and i only use two per week, the rest i have just stacked up

my plan is to cut those in to 1" squares or smaller and layer them using epoxy or resin. its the same material that i mentioned earlier each sleeve is roughly 1/2 square yard (there double layered)

if anyting it should make a great bike suit.... what do you mean by pep pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back