Hellgate Templar Armor WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tk1799

Hello 405th!

I wanted to jump in and introduce myself. Call me Joe - I'm a member of the 501st Legion - Bloodfin Garrison (TK1799) - and after visiting and pulling pdo files from you guys on EVA foam armor builds - I decided to start a build project myself. I have looked at building the Templar armor from Hellgate London for the last 2 years - but really had no idea how to do it - other than building molds and using a vacuum table - like we do in the Legion for stormtrooper armor...at any rate - I wanted to form, sand, bend, glue, and epoxy my way into a project that really hasn't been done on a scale of actual looking armor. The medium is inexpensive - but the research I have done - downloads - references (like the 405th) - has been time consuming - but I wanted to get it right and make it look like it walked off the computer.

I will say - I don't play the actual game - but the armor is outstanding. I have started a blog and a Picasa photo log - to keep everyone updated on what I have accomplished so far - and what will be accomplished in the months ahead. ( http://templararmor.blogspot.com/2011/08/hellgate-templar-armor.html ) ( Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/106094288114838790212/HellgateTemplarArmor )

If you attended Gen Con 2011 this year in Indy - I was the stormtrooper running around inside the exhibitor hall...

The Best to you all, :cool

Joe

Thanks - I want to make sure it looks pretty darn close to what the trailers have...I re-did the back circle plate today - I didn't like the look of the first four that I drew up...now being the fifth - I think I have it...I'm going to go for a different style front armor piece - so that I can match up the front and back and make it more of a solid form than just a front piece - with some minor back armor - kinda like the Avalon armor in the back...but I do plan on placing the tubing on the back side to run EL wire connections...

I'm going to use my FX Stormtrooper armor for the upper/lower leg armor - at least templates to build off of. Those little strips that come with the EVA foam mats - I plan on using those to measure and glue for dimension purposes - to make sure I get the correct circumference so everything fit close, but not to snug...

As I get free time - this is what I'll be working on...

Joe

Posted new pics of the front armor and upper leg armor - took me awhile to find the appropriate curve...and there it was on the kitchen table - my kid's Keekaroo table lid - great curve and looks good...divided the chest armor and drew up the side plates for the upper leg...still have to do the legs and arms...once that is done - I have the Templar helm as a pip file - need to have that printed and glued up to make a mold for the final version...things are progressing carefully...

I know the lights in the reference picture in your album are green, but it would look way cooler with blue ones.

I think they use blue through out the armor - except for the 3 on the back plate - they are green -- I haven't found anything different ..of course this armor won't look like the heavy templar or even the lighter armor...I'm kinda mixing it and trying to stay in code of what Hellgate had produced...I have the videos downloaded and watch for similarities...

I have to do the Upper Arm piece - will used the Stormtrooper Armor for reference and measurements...as well as the Upper and Lower Leg pieces...the mark up for templates is almost done...another day or so ...the poster board templates will be done...and I will start cutting foam next and gluing and assembling the armor...

Getting there - plus I'll have the poster board templates to make the armor for anyone else -- or sale the templates to others...if others are interested in making the Hell Gate Templar Armor that is...

Also - I'm seeing more games coming out that include the EL lighting within...looks good in the dark I guess...

AH - yes - I need to do mock up of the helm as well - then mold it - that's a whole other project once the main armor is done...I think people will probably buy a completed helmet more so than a suit of armor...I plan on using smooth-on once I have the molds made...

It's always something...

if you are going to be selling the templates then a good idea would be to scan them onto your computer and put them int a pdf file at the correct scale so that you are able to just open it and print out the pieces, then transfer to foam and your all set. very fgast and efficient way of doing it.

These pieces are large and would have to be cut up - and yes - the scanning process would be ideal for e-transmit...but I'll wait and see...it took me a while to even get the samurai armor in the correct scale before printing it for a foundation to build off of...so I might just keep it old school and sale the poster board pieces through mail order...then again...there might be no interests in building the Hellgate Templar Armor ...??? I'm doing it to do it to scale and try to actually make it look real. I know my PVC FX Stormtrooper armor is light - but not very maneuverable and the TK boots are killer after 8 to 10 hrs of standing..>I'm hoping this armor with jungle boots and gel inserts will be more comfortable - hot yes - but comfortable to move around in would be great!

Well I'm done with all the drawing of the parts - a few adjustments - and maybe this week will actually start on cutting and assembly of the foam pieces...I'm going to be taking my time and going slow...I'll post pic's and if anyone wants to insert them into this post - please do so...

Joe

I just added 8 photo's of the initial work and a few more supplies I just picked up. I went to Wal Mart and picked up the velcro, nylon straps, and other assorted plastic loops ($11 total) - then Harbor Freight to get the $10 - A/B tube of epoxy to bind the foam pieces together - and the 3mm black foam panels from Hobby Lobby - .99 cents ea. ($5)

I will need to get another hot knife - I bought the one from Home Depot - but tried an Xacto Knife head on it - will it broke inside the threat shaft - so it's toasted...that's an item that must be the correct one...I started off getting really clean lines /cuts -- but has it bent and the heat exchange was different - it started to tear...see photos ( https://picasaweb.google.com/106094288114838790212/HellgateTemplarArmor# )

The outdoor buckles and loops are like .70 cent each - I got about 3 to 4 boxes each just in case I need alot...you can find this in the camping supply part of Wal Mart - next to the back packs - there are repair kits....the other items are in the sewing and crafts section of Wal mart...

Until I find a better Hot Knife or order one off of the Internet - this project is at a hold...my small town might have one - I'll have to look and see in a bit...

More next time..."Learn as you go - but go slowly - and don't rush to failure" ...as they say in the IED Route Clearing community...

Okay - after much studying. I'm going to make up 1/2 3D molds of this armor - and using PVC plastic sheets - press out vacuum molds of this armor. I've seen a couple different table designs and I', going with a variation of Volpin Props table and XRobots heater table design.

I'm going to make up the helmet as well - the complete set.

Here's my draw up of what I need to make. If I'm going to do this right - then let's do it!

It's going to be a 1 to 1 copy of what is seen on the HELLSGATE LONDON video - some of the parts I have drawn up will not be used.

There's the Male Type and the Female Type. I'm going to do the MALE first - and press out armor - then revert over and design the female armor.

I think it will be a worthwhile project to say the least.

Album starts here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...lbums/5762937482437064353/5762937482352146770

I'll post as I get stuff done.

I'll probably work from the top down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back