HELP!!!Other Armor hardeners???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfowler17

Jr Member
Does anyone know any other hardeners for armor besides fiberglass? Because the price for fiberglass just went up here.....

Does anyone know any other hardeners for armor besides fiberglass? Because the price for fiberglass just went up here.....

Polyester resin and fibreglass are pretty much the cheapest way you can go. Everything else is more expensive.

Ummmm there are many, you just gotta explore. You can use Aqua Resin, Smooth-Cast Products, The Hot Glue Method, and many more. Fiberglass resin should be the cheapest, but it is also the most dangerous and toxic. Its all personal preference from here.

Ummmm there are many, you just gotta explore. You can use Aqua Resin, Smooth-Cast Products, The Hot Glue Method, and many more.

But those are either even more expensive or offer mediocre results at best.

Fiberglass resin should be the cheapest, but it is also the most dangerous and toxic. Its all personal preference from here.

That's not true.

I'm using paper mache. With 1 layer on the outside it holds its shape pretty well. Probably with more layers you'd get adequate strength to run around in. And the paper mache would just dent, vs Fiberglass which cracks.

I've read of some people using Great Stuff foam. Not sure, never used it. May be an option. Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding to use. I'm always looking for alternatives to fiberglassing.

Hardening foam is expensive but... really hard.
Just google it. I /think/ FlexIt is a brand, and Fudz073 mentioned Great Stuff. If you check out Ben Streeper's thread, he has a few videos on it.
Or you could always just Rondo the whole thing. It's easier, and almost as hard.
But you can't really go wrong with fiberglass... I mean, it's what they make boats out of. If you do a thorough job, it won't give you any problems.

There was another guy in these forums I forget his name at the moment but he mentioned using Instamorph; a moldable plastic that is reusable and non-toxic. I think it would be a great idea to use that to make the combat knives and sheaths, but i don't know how it would work in the actual suit.....maybe if you stick the instamorph on the cardstock ehh i don't know.

Smooth Cast 321 painted on the outside, and Smooth Cast 320 slush cast on the inside. Small amounts each time to build up thickness. 321 gives you about 5 to 7 minutes of working time, 320 about 4 minutes. Much easier to sand. 1:1 mixing ratio makes it easy. Starter kits are about $25.00. I did that on my Mk. VI Bluetard armor, and it is doing well with no cracks or any other issues so far.

paper mache, or even old soda cardboard boxes cut up and glued in, but i still think fiberglass would be better, and more permanant

Hello. I'm a noob. I'm looking for the aqua-resin starter kit that I've heard about. Is this it? If so, it's more expensive than I've heard and it says in only covers a square foot. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back