odst helemet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahu653

so for a project in school im going to do a sort of pep odst helmet. im using rundowns model, i couldnt find who unfolded it. and im doing something a bit different. instead of fibreglassing, im going to be using plaster gause which is fairly nice and easy to mold. this is going to be my first pep and my first helmet.

I used the same plaster bandage for my first build ( 2 MC suits for my sons ) and they only last just the Halloween night that's it.

if what you say is true Sandy, then you just put a knife through my chest. i just finished my first helmet tonight, with plaster gauze..... well if i notice the same problem then ill post it to you.

ok i havent even started to pep yet so ill see how it goes. im just looking for a low cost replacement to fibreglassing

just a helpful tip, the plaster does cause warping, even with a coat of resin. I noticed this problem after working about 1 inch up the inside of my helmet, so i decided to test another idea of mine, i used about 2 coats of adhesive spray to make it more water prof, and it seemed to work!!! the spray also seemed to give the surface a nice texture to let the plaster grab on to. if you looking for a way to make armor less toxic, then you can probably completely replace resin and fiberglass with adhesive spray and plaster... if you put enough coats on....

cool thanks dan, im going to start pepping on tuesday hopefully, and start putting on the plaster gauze in the last week or 2 of september. again thanks for letting me know

I still have a red helmet that I made with plaster bandage and it looks pretty beat up. I will show you the picture later.
here are the picture that I have.
86563ae8.jpg

e31a19c1.jpg

Sandy, in the pictures you posted of your helmet, is the plaster gauze on the inside or the outside. because when i look closely, it seems i can see the the edges where you glue the pieces of paper together on the inside. also did you use bondo on the outside?

I put the plaster bandage on the outside only ( 3 layers ) and didn't do anything else but paint. The bottom part is the place that wil get broken very easily.

not sure if it makes a difference but i put my plaster gauze on the inside (about 2 layers), and bondoed the outside, also i noticed that your helmet didn't have any padding on the inside. was the helmet constantly moving when you wore it? because i'm sure that can easily break the plaster.

it doesnt look to bad to me so i think i will plaster gauze it, though how many layers im not sure yet, thanks for the reference sandy

You're welcome. Try it and see. I use smoothcast 300 for my build after failed attempt to fiberglass resin other helmet. A set of smoothcast trial kit cost is around 35 dollar and you can make up to 3 helmets.

well my art teacher sells rolls of the stff for like 6 bucks each or something like that so ive got a good amount of materials there.im not sure how the scaling is for it so chances are its going to be a just for show one with no visor, un less the scaling is good

update, sorry im a bit late with pictures, but cutting them has sucked, ive got 6 pages of 19 left to cut out
IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

the last one shows the cardboard i cut 4 of the pages out on. im gettin tired of that exacto knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back