Odst weta (wip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

odst fng

Jr Member
Hey guys! First project I am starting (keyword...) I decided to do the WETA version of the ODST model by Skullcandy Girl and Belekor, and other parts by Ruze789 and Ral Partha.

Firstly I decided to start with the Knee armor, to get used to the pep, which you can see is cut out here...
img0761kf.jpg

Unfortunatley, being the noob that I am, I used hot glue, which i thought I remember people having success with, is not the case with me....it started off really well, then I screwed up and somehow it got warped and looks like this....
img0763he.jpg

img0762i.jpg

What I am going to do, is research some other types of glue to use besides hot glue to use that will work well and others have had success with. Thankfully, I printed out 2 of the knees and will only have to print one more out, and try again. I am hoping to have a few more images of, hopefully, success on my first pep'd piece tonight, and will uplaod them soon.

If you have any suggestions on glue/adhesives that you have used on your project that have worked well, please let me know here, but I am going to take a break, eat dinner and browse through here and see what I can find...

Piece Progress:
Helmet: N/A
Left Shoulder: N/A
Right Shoulder: N/A
Left Forearm: N/A
Right Forearm: N/A
Chest: N/A
Chest Details: N/A
Stomach Plate: Printed
Side Plates: N/A
Side Plate Details: N/A
Left Thigh: N/A
Right Thigh: N/A
Left Knee: Pepped
Right Knee: pepped
Left Shin: N/A
Right Shin: N/A
Left Boot: N/A
Right Boot: N/A
Butt Pack: N/A
Crotch Plate: N/A
Back Plate: N/A

Weapon(s)
Silenced SMG: deciding on how to make this piece still
Silenced M6C Socom sidearm: deciding on how to make this piece

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much only use glue sticks, it dries relatively quick... some people use super glue but I like the ability to adjust the pieces if I don't place them on target the first time.

Looks like a good start to me. The reason I use hot glue is because when that kind of problem happens, you can just stick the hot part of the glue gun on it and re-melt that stuff, and just re-stick it together. I'd recommend giving that a try before switching techniques entirely.

Don't blame the glue! I use hot glue all the time (in fact, I am as I type this) and its my favorite. I like it because if something doesn't line up right the first time, you can hold the nozzle of the glue gun to the seam for a few seconds, and the glue will remelt, allowing you to move it.

I would guess it's probably because it was your first pep. Don't worry about that, I don't know of anyone with a perfect first model. It just takes a little bit of practice.

I would suggest trying hot glue again. If hot glue still doesn't work for you, try superglue, I hear it works very well.

Glad to see more ODSTs, good luck!

Edit: Flyerfye beat me to it!

Sweet! thanks guys for the words of encouragement. I will try using the hot glue some more and just keep practicing with it...Im sure I will get better. and thanks for the Idea about holding the tip to the piece i need to adjust, I didn't think of that!

post more pics soon!

update #1

Well I decided to start from scratch. The first knee section I printed out felt and looked a tad bit small. So, I increased it about 10-15% and that did the trick. I also dug out a different hot glue gun that had a smaller nozzle on it and that worked wonders. It does seem a tad bit warped to one side, but I feel that once i get to the point of applying the resin and fiberglass, i will be able to work with it and get it right...Well here are the pics...lemme know what ya'll think about the sizing in the one pic....

img0761oi.jpg

img0765jw.jpg

img0766fq.jpg

OK.....both knee pads are pepped now. I cant tell ya this pepping thing gets easier with each piece that is done...moving on to the next piece....I can tell you tho I am not looking forward to the helmet, but I might give it a shot now....

Thanks again to all for the kind words and motivation to keep going!

img0767xa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good so far! The helmet might kick you in the butt at first, but once you've succeeded at it, pretty much everything else pep will be easy breezy for you. But make sure you do your sizing carefully beforehand, it's a real pain to have to make multiple helmets!

and uhm, tip on the helm. use ruler for folding valley folds. trust me. it will help. and score the numbers and tabs good enough to make a pretty good outcome :)

Looking good so far! The helmet might kick you in the butt at first, but once you've succeeded at it, pretty much everything else pep will be easy breezy for you. But make sure you do your sizing carefully beforehand, it's a real pain to have to make multiple helmets!

Yeah, I decided to go ahead and print the helmet out. I used Extreme TACTICS 101 scaling tutorial/walk through and took some time and did the calculations...so all I need to do now is trust that my math is correct :eek

and uhm, tip on the helm. use ruler for folding valley folds. trust me. it will help. and score the numbers and tabs good enough to make a pretty good outcome

So far, I have been using a ruler and the dull side of my knife to score the fold lines just to get in the habit of doing this on each piece..it's been a big help so far

OK...this helmet is starting to scare the bejesus outta me lol

helmbykirrou.jpg

helmetcutouts.jpg

I have been taking my time cutting these out, but I still have about 16-17 sheets left to go...needs to stay focused.....

i know what you mean, im about to start mine and its goin to take me a while as well. im stoked but scared at the same time. good luck, you do seem to be getting better

I found this while looking around online for a good base for the SMG and M6S Socom, and wanted to see what you guys thought about this. of course it would need some work, but I think it's pretty close..would have to add some to the backend, and change up the trigger guard on the first one, second one i think is closer, but not as long..lemme know what you think...
m6st.jpg

zx5150501alg.jpg

halo3odstautomagpistol0.gif

In my opinion, if you're not trying to go for crazy accurate, what really sells the M6S is the huge compensator on the front. What I always suggest on these is to take a pep build of the gun, just build the front part, and attach it to whatever pistol you choose. Which also has the added effect of it not mattering how long your starting gun is.

Edit: and if you want a good starting point for the M7, take a look at the HK MP7. It's very close to being the same gun.

haha thats actually one of the easier odst helmets, and yeah it takes awhile to get the tabs just right. line up the numbers as straight as you can, and also sometimes lines intersect to corners which help. Skullipson i think it was put up a video on pepping but I kinda want to do one. the helmets fun huh? i did one about a year back. . . . horrible. . . i still have scars.
. . .
. .
at this point you're probably like "o_O, WHAA???"
no really I have scars on my fingers. . . and my leg. . .from working on them

haha thats actually one of the easier odst helmets, and yeah it takes awhile to get the tabs just right. line up the numbers as straight as you can, and also sometimes lines intersect to corners which help. Skullipson i think it was put up a video on pepping but I kinda want to do one. the helmets fun huh? i did one about a year back. . . . horrible. . . i still have scars.
. . .
. .
at this point you're probably like "o_O, WHAA???"
no really I have scars on my fingers. . . and my leg. . .from working on them

lol i get what your saying...I still have scars from the days when I built aircraft models...I had a brand new xacto blade roll off my table and stand straight up in my leg, didn't notice it till i turned and hit it with my arm lol

anyways more progress pics tomorrow...going to pick up some foam mats sometime this week, work permitting :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back