RoxyRoo's Reach Build + Undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ DISTORTED INC:
Haha! You mean you haven't learned to catch your jaw yet? lol

@ captaincaliflour:
I'm kind of obsessed with the little things. Detail whore is me. XD I've been costuming for years, so I've also learned that the more movement a costume has, the more comfortable it is in the long run. Granted, this is armor.. it's going to be uncomfortable no matter what, but every bit helps.

I FINISHED THEM!!! They are 95% done. I need to dremel the edges. These are extremely detailed. When I looked at various reference pics, I was kind of blown away. I think I mananged to finish these in record time, however. 3 days! They fit me right, they look great, and I'm vereh happeh.

8D Picture time!! (Mirrored pictures are mirrored...)

Photoon2012-01-15at00122.jpg

Photoon2012-01-15at00123.jpg

Photoon2012-01-15at0014.jpg

Photoon2012-01-15at00142.jpg

Photoon2012-01-15at00143.jpg

** the little rivets were simply "drawn" into the craft foam by pressing a ball-point pen into the foam. You should try it out. I used it for a lot of "line" details here. >.>

EDIT: oh yeah.. that's a keyblade there. I'm making it for an Aqua costume from KH: Birth by Sleep. >.>

I also have a video of me wearing all the pieces so far. >.> But even though I sent it from my phone to my email, it hasn't shown up in my inbox yet. *sigh* I'll post again when I got it up on youtube. Till then... more armorz. Cod Piece is neeeext.

You're making pretty solid progress on this. I like your layering technique using different types/thicknesses of foam for adding detail. Keep it up!

Looks really good so far! The attention to detail you have is making this build really awesome!

I would recommend you to test the pieces whilst wearing underarmor, you will get a better feeling of how it will turn out in the end!

Keep working! Looking forward to see updates :)

That is really impressive work there. Definitely subscribing to this build. Can't wait to see how it turns out and if my new born permits I hope my halo build is as detailed as yours, truly inspiring stuff.

I will second your comment on lack of craft foam being used. It is far easier to do detailing with it than hacking into 10mm thick EVA.

Wow! Just now found this... Looks really awesome! Love the detail and time you put into it. Great work and good luck...

^///^ You guys are so awesome. I love 405th-ers.

I would recommend you to test the pieces whilst wearing underarmor, you will get a better feeling of how it will turn out in the end!

Ha. yeah, I get what you mean. I'll do that next time.
The pieces are only just tight enough to sit properly on my arms. The under suit will be typical spandex underneath the armor. I haven't really told you guys my intentions for the Under suit, have I? Well.. I intend on going full out. The visible areas of the under suit, I want it to look like the Live Action ones. I've been looking into how to get those raised "ribbing" details with fabric. Some awesome kingdom hearts cosplayers have figured it out, so I'm going to try and imitate it as best I can.

Apparently, if you sandwich a layer of cushioning (or cotton) in between the spandex and the pleather, it will cause dips in teh fabric. Kinda awesome. I'll be posting pics of course, but only when i get to doing that part. ^^

The video is finally up on youtube. Sorry for bad quality...

Last edited by a moderator:
Layer #1: 50%

I know I said the cod piece was next, but I realized, in order to make the pieces the right size/length, I first need to have the undersuit done. This doesn't look like much yet, but this is my forte. I got this turtle neck done in an hour. I don't have the leggings done yet, but I'll have them by tomorrow night.

Photoon2012-01-19at2335.jpg

Photoon2012-01-19at2336.jpg

And no, it's not spandex.

@ DISTORTED INC:
EDIT: oh yeah.. that's a keyblade there. I'm making it for an Aqua costume from KH: Birth by Sleep. >.>

Aaw yeah, that keyblade really does look nice :D I've made two keyblades myself, normal and Fenrir. I made the normal one first, but it didn't finish as well as I wanted. Fenrir I made last winter and I'm really proud of it ^^ Hope to see your finished keyblade :D

And great work on your armour!

You know that awesome Undersuit that SavageGiggles got to rock it in? I figured out how to make it today. I went through three different stages trying to figure out the best way to get that piping look. These are what I got in order from 1st (and worst) try to 3rd (and best) try.

Trial#1. I sandwhiched this yellow cushy fabric in between two layers of lycra. It created small ridges, but it was white, so I tried painting it with fabric paint. Came out ok.. but not visually satisfying up close.

try1.jpg

Photoon2012-01-21at17182.jpg

Trial#2: Made individual piping using just the cushy fabric and some pleather. Then I sewed two pieces together, next to eachother. It looked great! but it was difficult to sew due to too many layers of the thick leather fabric...

Photoon2012-01-21at1719.jpg

Photoon2012-01-21at17183.jpg

Trial#3: I think we have a winner. I used only the pleather this time, and sewed the piping out of 1 long strip of pleather. I stuffed the pleather full of the cushy fabric by string it through, aaaand this is what I got. This is the best so far, and this is how I intend on making the whole undersuit look.

Photoon2012-01-21at17192.jpg

Photoon2012-01-21at17184.jpg

I also spent some time doing a different type of research. I went through photos of Live Action Kat, the trailer, and the Behind the scenes videos on youtube to sketch this out. I now have a plan, now I just need to do it. Wish me luck.

HaloUndersuitSketch.jpg

>______>
SHHHHhhhhhhhhh.....
I know exactly what the Legacy suits (Noble Six <--- the one someone close to me wore, and Kat <-- the one Savage wore) were made and how and what goes where.....>_____>

Add me to facebook....

Cuz being a dork is fuuunnnnnnnn!!!

I told you I was making the Legacy version of the undersuit. D=< And I did. I did the belly. Not the front of the belly part.. but that comes later. But here it is. This thing fits like a corset. A very, very comphy, padded corset. lol I used a similar method to what I talked about in my last post. I attach it with velcro in the back. I sewed this in... 4 hours? I got faster towards the end though. :D

And I'm gonna throw out a special thankyou for some tips from a fellow 405th member who will remain anonymous for the sake of secrecy, derp. You know who you are...

Photoon2012-01-22at2112.jpg

Photoon2012-01-22at2113.jpg

I'll be doing the sleeves and the leg parts next. >.> Get it all over with. Yup.

Your armor rocks. I definitely a foam convert now (...excluding the helmets, that is). Your undersuit is just insane, but awesome nonetheless. Keep it up, can't wait to see it finished!

Love your foam work. Your details are awesome. Also, props on your undersuit! The ribbed effect is neat.

Also, out of curiosity: how heavy are your foam armor pieces?

Also, out of curiosity: how heavy are your foam armor pieces?

The whole suit together for me (and I have probably close to a foot on her) was not heavy at all. If anything, it was hot and cumbersome, but in some cases the fans I installed with their batteries were heavier than some of the parts.

lookin good roxy :p You gave me an idea on how to make a throat seal clone trooper style...I don't have a sewing machine so I can't exactly mimic your design :'( but I do have a mess of foamies...think I'll try that :p

@LiTyrant:
Yeah, what Captaincaliflour said. Foam is really light. Even my chest piece weighs no more than 2lbs.

lookin good roxy :p You gave me an idea on how to make a throat seal clone trooper style...I don't have a sewing machine so I can't exactly mimic your design :'( but I do have a mess of foamies...think I'll try that :p

Ack. Don't do it in foam for your neck. You neck moves the most in that suit besides your legs. You'll end up sore after an hour, I garentee it. It's not that hard to make. If you come over I'll help you sew your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back