RoxyRoo's Reach Build + Undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is great so far! i really think a quality undersuit is what makes a build go from awesome to being really game accurate. Do you have anything in mind for the raised sections of the abdomen area? Anyways great work this will help me alot when i get around to making my own undersuit.

That looks awesome. I wish I had the time/cash to build right now. I need to learn to sew so bad....

Really nice work on the undersuit. Loving the almost daily updates to this suit, most say "can't wait to see it finished" but when it is I wont be able to tune in to your progress :)

Do you have anything in mind for the raised sections of the abdomen area? Anyways great work this will help me alot when i get around to making my own undersuit.

Yes. I have several ideas. >.> I've seen 2 or 3 people do it out of EVA foam, but that just look really uncomfortable to me. (most of those people got the patterns from donating to the Dawn Under Heaven fan film.) Craft foam is thinner and more flexible, I could make it out of that instead, but for some reason I keep wanting to kill myself and go the whole nine yards. Sculpt it, mold it, cast it in rubber or flex foam... >_<

That looks awesome. I wish I had the time/cash to build right now. I need to learn to sew so bad....
I offer to teach people, but they never take me up on it. Again, you'll be busier once your bundle of joy comes, Rosh. Try planning 3 hours somewhere in your schedule to buckle down and do a bit. (I say three hours because you need set up time, but for it not to take too much out of your day).

Really nice work on the undersuit. Loving the almost daily updates to this suit, most say "can't wait to see it finished" but when it is I wont be able to tune in to your progress :)

I've been updating a lot because i FINALLY have a regular schedule. I work during the day and do my hobbies at night. WOOT!

Speaking of which.. I
have my "sleeves" almost done. I'm running out of fabric, so I need to go shopping again. I'll be working on my costume again tonight.

@ RoxyRoo and captaincaliflour: thanks for the info on the weight.

Yes. I have several ideas. >.> I've seen 2 or 3 people do it out of EVA foam, but that just look really uncomfortable to me. (most of those people got the patterns from donating to the Dawn Under Heaven fan film.) Craft foam is thinner and more flexible, I could make it out of that instead, but for some reason I keep wanting to kill myself and go the whole nine yards. Sculpt it, mold it, cast it in rubber or flex foam... >_<

If it's something that you really want to do, I say go for the mold! It sounds like you'll probably wind up happier with the end results.

@ LilTyrant:
Yeah.. but it could also be more trouble than it's worth, literally. Getting all the supplies to do the molding and stuff is expensive. >_<

Update.

Used a better camera this time...
I finished the armpit part of the sleeves. I think they look quite spiffy. They're comfortable too, thanks to the stretchy fabric. The ribbing does not go all the way around like my corset. The actual "pit" of the armpit only has a single layer of spandex about 2 1/2 inches wide. I kept it free of the ribbing for ventilation purposes. This costume is going to be hot. Why block one of your body's main heat vents? There's straps on the inside that connect to my corset, making it all one piece and helping the sleeves stay in one place. Yay for velcro.

** and yes, I know my little belly plate is crooked. >_<;;

107_0195.jpg

107_0193_2.jpg

That looks awesome! This is almost exactly what I need for my CQB shoulders. You Roxy are an inspiration. Keep building girl!:)

@ LilTyrant:
Yeah.. but it could also be more trouble than it's worth, literally. Getting all the supplies to do the molding and stuff is expensive. >_<

It's true... either way you do it, I'm sure it will look great.

Small update. Finally got around to doing some more. Here's the neck seal. To make it fit right, I made two "(" shapes and sewed them together in the middle so they curved with my neck. It attaches in the back with velcro, even though it looks bacon-ish right now, i'll have someone helping me when I put the full suit on, I'm sure.

Photoon2012-02-24at0023.jpg

Photoon2012-02-24at00232.jpg

Getting things moving again. Woo!

Roxy,
Im loving the suit. The details and design are awesome! Great job. The undersuit is really cool. I like the look of it, your doing a fantastic job. Im glad i found this thread, ill be watching :)

Yes, I like the neck seal too. Great work Roxy! What type of material is that again?

So many compliments. Careful guys, it might go to my head.<3 lol. XD

Yes, I like the neck seal too. Great work Roxy! What type of material is that again?

It's cushiony fabric sandwiched between two layers of spandex. If you try out this method, remember to use the non-shiny side of the fabric, because then it won't look cheesy.

I'm off to attempt the strange front belly part. O_@ I'm not sure if i'll succeed. I'll try two different methods.. craft foam and/or sculpting. Wish me luck! I'm going to need it...

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

I have finally completed a piece I've been wanting to do since I started. I did ze belleh armor! I wanted to make it out of rubber or whatever, but I fell back to foam cuz i'm cheap. Anyways, I used my duct tape mannequin to make the patterns. I first measured on my own body and drew the designs onto the tape. (First rule of pattern making: always separate your form from your tape, lest you won't be able to separate them. I used saran wrap). When I was satisfied with the penciling, I inked it with a felt pen, and then I cut it off the mannequin and cut the pieces out.

Photoon2012-02-24at1656.jpg

Photoon2012-02-24at16562.jpg

Here it is, all purdy and put together. As always, the white is craft foam and the grey is EVA foam. I used 2 layers of craft foam to achieve that ridged look, and I sanded down the EVA pieces in the garage. I glued them together. The belly armor connects in the back using that white piece of craft foam and velcro. I put all my under suit layers together for this round of photos to see what it looks like.

Photoon2012-02-24at2237.jpg

Photoon2012-02-24at22373.jpg

Photoon2012-02-24at22374.jpg

Is it vanity or pride that makes me want to strut in my armor every time I finish a piece??? XDD I feel epic.

Photoon2012-02-24at22422.jpg

Photoon2012-02-24at22423.jpg

I still need my backplate and spine... Hm. I should do that next or the cod piece? Well, I've already started on the cod I guess. >.> (Did you notice?...)
Photoon2012-02-24at22424.jpg

Close up of my lady hips. <3
Photoon2012-02-24at2245.jpg

WHY DO I ALWAYS UPDATE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT?????

Dang that is impresive might just have to attempt this with my current build. Keep up the good work cant wait to see it finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back