A Favor the the New Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Guy

Let me preface this with the fact that my intended Pep is not Halo-related. But as this seems to be the most helpful and active papercraft forum on the internet, I find myself turning to you for Help.

I'm about as green as they come. I'm trying to make a papecraft MAGNETO HELMET and I'm slowly learning how much is going to go into this project... and, well it's a bit overwhelming.

THE HELMET
http://actionpapercrafts.blogspot.com/2008/12/full-size-magneto-helmet.html

I just found out that I need to pay $38 for Pepakura Designer. The thing is, all I need to do is resize this one thing for my dumb head and then I know I'll never use the program again. (seems like a waste of 38 bucks)

So, my favor:
Is there someone out there who can throw the new guy a bone and help me resize this thing?

I'm not a freeloader, just a reasonable and reasonably poor grad student who wants desperately to have a Magneto costume come Halloween :)

I may be wrong, but Im pretty sure you can resize and print without buying the pepakura program. I think saving files is disabled without purchasing it. Go to the 2d Menu on the top bar, then The Change Scale option, then the Scale Factor option and you can make it as tall or short as you want. Afterward, go to the File Menu and print it. Dont use the printer icon on the bar, a lot of people have trouble with that icon as it will not print the numbers and everything is a mess without the numbers.

First off, welcome. It's nice to hear that you look so highly on the forum.

Second, and you're going to like this: you actually don't need to pay pepakura designer in order to resize your helmet model. If you plan on saving your work, then you need to pay for a password in order to "unlock" the program so that you can save.

You can go in and edit the size all you want, you just won't be able to save it if you don't pay for it.

I hope that helps a little.

-Matt

What Arioch and mkshane81 said is correct, and I would just like to add to what they said: It's a very good idea to record/write down the dimensions of any piece you scale in case you ever need to print it out again for any reason. That way, you can successfully use Pepakura without paying for the key. :cool

AWESOME. THIS IS GREAT NEWS, GUYS.

One more question. I've heard that 110lb cardstock is the way to go. (and this may seem stupid, but I also know little about paper and printers, but...) will a standard printer be able to handle this?

AWESOME. THIS IS GREAT NEWS, GUYS.

One more question. I've heard that 110lb cardstock is the way to go. (and this may seem stupid, but I also know little about paper and printers, but...) will a standard printer be able to handle this?

Depends on the make and model of the printer. Printers with straight feed can take 110lbs paper. Small printers that flip papers from the feeder may not be able to handle it. Check the printer specs for details. Most manufacturers have the specs on the printers they sell.

Depends on the make and model of the printer. Printers with straight feed can take 110lbs paper. Small printers that flip papers from the feeder may not be able to handle it. Check the printer specs for details. Most manufacturers have the specs on the printers they sell.

Sounds about right. I have a laser printer that does this. The bottom tray gets jammed but the front loader works just fine.

BAD NEWS EVERYONE, I Just read on one of the Noob forums (for scaling) that you can't scale in Pep Viewer. I checked to see if I could do as you all said and there simply is no "2D Menu" in the top bar. (only File, View, Setting, and Help). Am I screwed?

BAD NEWS EVERYONE, I Just read on one of the Noob forums (for scaling) that you can't scale in Pep Viewer. I checked to see if I could do as you all said and there simply is no "2D Menu" in the top bar. (only File, View, Setting, and Help). Am I screwed?

No, you just need to download Pepakura Designer instead of Pepakura Viewer...

Yes.

Use Pepakura Designer to unscrew yourself.

No, you just need to download Pepakura Designer instead of Pepakura Viewer...

My problem with this is as I've said in my original post: "I just found out that I need to pay $38 for Pepakura Designer. The thing is, all I need to do is resize this one thing for my dumb head and then I know I'll never use the program again. (seems like a waste of 38 bucks)"

I would use it but I'd basically be paying $38 to open one file, one time.

After reading through this thread's first few posts this morning I thought about identifying the need for Pepakura Designer in lieu of Pepakura Viewer, for scaling, but it seemed everyone was on that page already since both the question and an answer identified Pepakura Designer by name.

I just found out that I need to pay $38 for Pepakura Designer. The thing is, all I need to do is resize this one thing for my dumb head and then I know I'll never use the program again.

...you actually don't need to pay pepakura designer in order to resize your helmet model. If you plan on saving your work, then you need to pay for a password in order to "unlock" the program so that you can save.

Good luck with the Magneto helmet...wouldn't want Professor X messing with your mind.

Edit: There are few questions, especially beginner questions, that haven't been answered on the forums already...please try to research info before asking (basic) questions. Make sure to read through things though, in this thread you've apparently missed where mkshane81 told you that you don't need to purchase Pepakura Designer to use it (you just need to purchase a key-code if you wish to save anything you do with it). Tamasoft's website tells you the same.

Tamasoft.com said:
Pepakura Designer helps you easily create a paper craft model from your 3D data. Please create original works and respect others' copyrights and trademark. You can download and freely try the shareware version.
Tamasoft.com said:
Pepakura Designer 3 is a shareware product; registration is US$38. The save and export functions are disabled until you register. All other functions work without limitation in the shareware version. If you enjoy Pepakura Designer and want to use it to its fullest extent, please buy a license key once you have confirmed that Pepakura Designer runs on your PC without any trouble. Once we receive your payment, we will supply the password to you, which will enable all the functions of Pepakura Designer.

After reading through this thread's first few posts this morning I thought about identifying the need for Pepakura Designer in lieu of Pepakura Viewer, for scaling, but it seemed everyone was on that page already since both the question and an answer identified Pepakura Designer by name.

Good luck with the Magneto helmet...wouldn't want Professor X messing with your mind.

Edit: There are few questions, especially beginner questions, that haven't been answered on the forums already...please try to research info before asking (basic) questions. Make sure to read through things though, in this thread you've apparently missed where mkshane81 told you that you don't need to purchase Pepakura Designer to use it (you just need to purchase a key-code if you wish to save anything you do with it).

I thought I may have been mistaken so to confirm you all were right about this (you know more than me) I just downloaded Pep Designer on my work computer. It allowed me to open one of the default .pdo's no problem.

This is where I had the problem at home. It needed me to input a password before i could even open my project file. Weird. I'll try again when I get home. Have you ever known anyone to have this problem before?

The file you have may have been password protected by the file creator. It's not that uncommon.

The file you have may have been password protected by the file creator. It's not that uncommon.

That means its impossible to change. You will have to make it at the size it is. You are kind of out of luck.

Good news is, if its around 300mm it should fit any full size man.

I checked out that file, The guy put up a no-password file included (which doesnt make sense to me to include the old file) So you good to go!

That means its impossible to change. You will have to make it at the size it is. You are kind of out of luck.

Good news is, if its around 300mm it should fit any full size man.
No, that means you can't open the file unless you have the password. I have had several of these types of files and had no problems scaling them once the file was opened.

Update: It is as you all said I couldn't open that download. But with the help of another user I found a download elsewhere on the Internet that he apparently removed the lock from. So I was able to resize it ok !!!

Now I just hope I understood the tutorial on scaling correctly and got the size right... We'll see when I print and paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back