ODST Dare Foam Build (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too many people have even attempted a foam helmet so kudos to you for that. As you said, it's a learning curve. I'm sure the next one will be great.:)

Your build is coming along VERY nicely. What I saw in the picture of the thigh piece, shin, knee and boot looked really nice and looked like a perfect fit! :D I attempted to make a DARE costume and wanted to have it done for the H3:ODST release, but the rain destroyed my drying, fiberglassed parts. :( By then it was too late to try and have my DARE costume done. I only wanted it for the release, so most likely I won't be attempting the build again.

Oh, and just as a personal reference, I was never too crazy about the idea of a foam helmet. Granted it might be comfy on your head, but since the foam causes the helmet to be flexible, a rigid visor might make it look really funny. XD I'll just stick to the pep method for helmets..........or raw casts if someone feels like giving me one again. XD LOL

@Halogoddess: Thank you :) I tried to creep through your Dare thread when I started planning mine, but almost none of the pictures worked. Le sad. It really stinks that all your hard work got ruined. I am really excited to see that you’re still working on your Kat. Seeing how you do the pieces in foam really helped me figure out how to get moving with my build.

As far as the helmet goes, It takes a lot of patience to make a good one, but seeing how SimFam made his out of craft foam and rondo really inspired me. It is absolutely beautiful.

I’ve got a little update. Still no money for more foam, but I built my butt pack out of some scraps.

I’ve also started another little project for this build. Can you guess?

woah. those shins + boots are AMAZING. Seriously impressive,
Also the knee pad piece above the shin looks really good with it all

I love the idea of the foam build. I might make my ODST with it now that I see what it looks like. Cant wait to see what the M6 comes out to look like. Great work and keep it up!

You foam artists always amaze me. As a pepakura feind i give +100 for you especially the helmet. I Have such a hard time making nice symmetrical helmets with pep. If you can pull off a foam one it will be amazing :D

School’s been keeping me very busy, and I apologize for the lack of progress, but, like I said back in my very first post, no deadline for this one so I can take my time and get it just right :)

I do have a bit of an update for you tonight. Mainly, a headset!

It’s all foam and it’s scratch built. There’s not so much as a template that’s been make of this thing so I just kind of winged it using the 2 screenshots I have of a helmetless Dare. Since my helmet was a total bust I decided to try giving the headset a shot.

I’m having a heck of a time with the forearms. I’ve tried Hugh’s, Kirrou’s, and the WETA files. None have come out even looking halfway decent. It’s getting frustrating. I wish I knew what I was doing so wrong. Going back to the planning board. Again.

Whose sliced M6 is that?

I couldn’t really find a good sliced M6S file, and I can't bring myself to pep one, so I took Spartan-279’s M6G (that Carpathiavh99 converted to sliced) and I’m building the base and back of it from there and from there I’ll be sort of scratch building. I’m so grateful that I found Carpathivah 99’s files. He has an M6 everything pep file. It has the base pistol, with attachments for every kind of permutation. That’s what I’m going to be basing the rest of my pistol on.

School’s been keeping me very busy, and I apologize for the lack of progress, but, like I said back in my very first post, no deadline for this one so I can take my time and get it just right :)

I do have a bit of an update for you tonight. Mainly, a headset!

It’s all foam and it’s scratch built. There’s not so much as a template that’s been make of this thing so I just kind of winged it using the 2 screenshots I have of a helmetless Dare. Since my helmet was a total bust I decided to try giving the headset a shot.

I’m having a heck of a time with the forearms. I’ve tried Hugh’s, Kirrou’s, and the WETA files. None have come out even looking halfway decent. It’s getting frustrating. I wish I knew what I was doing so wrong. Going back to the planning board. Again.

I couldn’t really find a good sliced M6S file, and I can't bring myself to pep one, so I took Spartan-279’s M6G (that Carpathiavh99 converted to sliced) and I’m building the base and back of it from there and from there I’ll be sort of scratch building. I’m so grateful that I found Carpathivah 99’s files. He has an M6 everything pep file. It has the base pistol, with attachments for every kind of permutation. That’s what I’m going to be basing the rest of my pistol on.

Just a suggestion for the headset. I like what you've got going there, looks good for scratch built. But, have you considered finding an actual headset?

the headset looks great, especially for a scratch build. i feel you pain about the forearms. I've made Hugh's but they are the halo 3 version and not detailed enough like the odst game version and Kirrou's never print out too scale for me. well the rest of the build look great keep it up.

That headset looks badass, dudette!

Can't wait to see it all painted up!

Thank you muchly Sir!

Just a suggestion for the headset. I like what you've got going there, looks good for scratch built. But, have you considered finding an actual headset?

Yep :) I’m doing research to find one that looks right around 20-25 dollars that I can use with my radio for airsoft. I’ve got a couple of ideas. The foam headset was more of a here and now, I’m bored, lets see what I can do sort of thing. I do like how it looks and I’ll use it until I get a real one.

the headset looks great, especially for a scratch build. i feel you pain about the forearms. I've made Hugh's but they are the halo 3 version and not detailed enough like the odst game version and Kirrou's never print out too scale for me. well the rest of the build look great keep it up.

I finally just printed Kirrou’s at the default scale they were unfolded at. I think the height setting is 151. They worked out great! They were a couple inches too long and wide, but it was easy to modify. I love how detailed his model is :) With a few minor modifications and a lot of padding I made them fit!

Sorry I don’t have a pic of them on, I went straight to painting them. Black base coat is a go!

As far as painting goes, I chose not to plastidip my pieces due to cost. I experimented with a couple of types of glue for sealing them but they failed miserably. I used wood glue, mod podge, and plain old white glue. None retained the flexibility I needed and they didn’t take paint well at all. With painting right on the foam, I’ve had no issues so far. I’m using acrylic paints and brushing them on by hand. At the end everything is getting a varnish to seal the paint on and semi-waterproof the pieces.

My entire suit is done being built aside from a helmet. I’m on to the painting and strapping together phase. It’s very exciting. I actually have hope of getting this build done by Halo Anniversary!

640px-Dare_and_Buck.jpg

I did some research on Google and found this headset....and damn, I closed the tab, but the maker began with a 'P'. (I realize that doesn't help. But, oh well.) Anyway, this is the closest one I could find. Only problem is, it'll set you back $150. Now, I know you're not gonna wanna spend $150 on a prop. But, maybe this gives you an idea? I dunno, I'm just trying to help.

Nice find on that headset! It is pretty pricy though, especially for a piece that will only be seen without the helmet equipped. But still a great find, it looks like something that could exist in game as it is. Is it made by Plantronics? As far as the build is concerned.... ITS EPIC! Is this the first foam Dare build? And as far as the recon helmet goes, are you pepping a H3 version, or the Reach version. It would be interesting to see it done with the Reach version, but Im not sure if it would look right. Cant wait to see you suited up! :) fantastic job!

That is an awesome find! I wish it were more within my pricerange. I did some searching and I found these 2. Neither is as sleek or looks quite as accurate, but they're well within my price range. What do you think?

OR this one:
product_thumb.php

@ Soloknight, yea, I'm pretty sure this is the first foam Dare. There's been a few pepped though :)

Honestly, I think your scratch build looks better than those two put together. I'd keep going with it if I were you. You really did a great job on it.:)

So... want to teach me to build with foam? Haha, honestly, this looks really good. How's' the strength of the foam? Will the foam deflections caused by wearing it cause the paint to chip off or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back