Polythemus' "Victor-101" Mk VI Build WIP - PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice progress! And I think that the cod piece looks like the correct size, personally. I think that the distance between the chest piece and cod piece is pretty accurate to the other costumes that I've seen. +since you plan on making the chest piece larger it will probably end up being a perfect fit in my opinion. If you think that you need to rescale it though go ahead, I dont remember it being a very difficult/ annoying piece to pep.

That's good to hear. I think I said I thought it looked a little small right? Well I went ahead and made another tester and scaled it to 383mm wide (310mm inner width) rather than 370mm wide (300mm width) and I was really pleased with the size. I've started building the cod now and will hopefully have it done tonight! all I have left to do is the back then I need to put it all together. I'll post when I'm done!

P.S. I've changed my game-plan AGAIN. But this time I swear is the last :) I'm very happy with what I've decided on! I'll talk about it in my next PU.

-Poly

Poly this looks Amazing! It's all so beautiful :') I have a question on the padding in your first helmet, did you take it out of a motorcycle helmet and stick it in? Because that is a pretty good idea as well as the vent system you got.

Well thank you atrox :) It's nice to see a new face in here! To answer your question, yes and no. The two side pieces and the piece in the top are from a motorcycle helmet but the rest of it I made myself from some one inch green foam I got from a fabric store. If you'd like me to go into more detail about the padding I'll be more than willing to to a tutorial of sorts for you, just say the word :) And about the vent system... It actually doesn't work as well as I would like but I think that's only because the fans aren't strong enough. Either that or the intakes need to be bigger. My original idea was to have a duct system rather than the tubes but that was a little to difficult at the time. It has its pros and cons. And as with the padding, if you'd like me to go into more detail about the vents or help you devise a better method then just let me know!

-Poly

P.S. Stay tuned for my progress update and my new plan, I just finished the Cod Piece! It'll most likely be tomorrow since I have class at 8 and it's now 1...

Progress Update

Alrighty, well as promised, here's my next progress update! Pretty much all I've got to talk about is my newly completed cod piece and my NEW, exciting plan for my suit!

To start off, here's the cod:

3e5fc1de.jpg

I've got this bad boy scaled to a width of 383mm

cb7fa14d.jpg

It probably took me around 10 hours total. Not too bad.

bddf4b3f.jpg

5cdafc78.jpg

How does it look to you guys? To me it looks perfect! I'm so happy with it :)

6a5bb0cd.jpg

And what about from the side?

Well I'm pretty set on this one, I suppose it was worth building the four testers haha.

So enough about the cod piece.

Now for my NEW Plan ! If you can't tell by now, I'm really excited for this :)
Have you ever heard about Team Black? I'm sure some/most of you have. If you have, then I'm sure you know about Black-Four. If not, Black-Four, otherwise known as Victor-101, is one of four members on Team Black and he is the sniper of the group. I'm planning on basing my suit on him. I'd rather not go into extreme detail about him so I'll just give you the basics. If you want to read more about Victor-101 or Black Team, visit THIS LINK.

To start off, here's a picture of Team Black.
398px-Black_Team.png
Aren't they bada$$?!

And here's a picture of Victor-101:
BL_Four_Jump.jpg

Color:
I'm still looking into how I'll get the color of their armor but It looks to be some kind of dark metallic grey. It'll be difficult to get it to look like theirs but I think I can do it...
Here's a better picture for the color.
383px-Three_vs_Four.png

Weapons:
I was originally planning on just making a shotgun but with this new plan and with Victor-101 being a sniper, I've decided to make the SRS99D-S2 AM Sniper Rifle (the sniper from Halo 3).
830px-SRS99D-S2AM-SniperRifle-profile-transparent.png
I've done the math and it looks to me that this will have to be approximately 62 inches long to be scaled to my size (if I don't scale it, it'll be taller than me!).

To go along with the sniper, I'd like to make two M6D Personal Defense Weapon Systems, or two Magnums from Halo 3.
M6d-pistol.jpg
These will be scaled to a length of approximately 220mm

Iona:
Now this part, I think, is very cool. Iona is the AI who is assigned to Team Black and it turns out, of the four, she has only been attached to Victor-101's MJOLNIR armor! I'd like to make a Data Crystal Chip which will be inserted into the rear of the helmet which will "house" Iona. I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing for this but I'll keep thinking!

Here's Iona:
384px-Bloodline_AI.png

Those are the three main things, so far. Perhaps later on I'll be adding some more ideas but for now, this'll do. My suit will from now on will no longer be a Master Chief suit, but a Black-Four, or Victor-101, suit. :)

-Poly

Looking really good! The codpiece indeed looks perfectly sized, as do the other pieces you have so far. :)

Personally, I think a black suit will look pretty bada$$! Though, as you mentioned a "dark, metallic gray", I have to say that painting the armor just regular black might detract a little from the appearance (as some details may be lost). However, I would suggest going with a charcoal or dark, gunmetal color, which I think would look fantastic when surrounded with a jet black undersuit!

I agree with spitfire. Rustoleum makes a good charcoal metallic gray spray paint that i used and it looks like it might be close to that color in the comic strips.
heres how it turned out on my build
photo-34.jpg

Looking really good! The codpiece indeed looks perfectly sized, as do the other pieces you have so far. :)

Personally, I think a black suit will look pretty bada$$! Though, as you mentioned a "dark, metallic gray", I have to say that painting the armor just regular black might detract a little from the appearance (as some details may be lost). However, I would suggest going with a charcoal or dark, gunmetal color, which I think would look fantastic when surrounded with a jet black undersuit!

Well that's really good to hear haha, I would hate to hear otherwise! Yea that's what I was thinking too, I'll have to look more into these colors to see what would look best. Thanks for the input, it's always appreciated!

I agree with spitfire. Rustoleum makes a good charcoal metallic gray spray paint that i used and it looks like it might be close to that color in the comic strips.
heres how it turned out on my build

Wow that's a really great color! Perhaps I'll go with a little bit lighter though but I really like the metallic effect is has. That's definitely what I'm going for. Thanks Matt!

-Poly

duude im so excited to see how you do the paint job.
Are you goingto make a new helmet or spray over the one you currently have?
(Ive been wondering if its possible to spray over an already-painted piece if you decide that you want to change the color)

Haha me too! I'm really hoping I can make it turn out the way I want it.

Nah, I'm planning on building a whole new helmet since I'm not happy with the size of the one I have now. But if you wanted to paint over a piece that's already been painted you could just paint over it but I wouldn't suggest it. You'd want to sand off most of the existing paint. I've never done it but I'm sure it would be easier than making a whole new piece! haha

Sorry I haven't posted in quite a while guys, I've been sick and really busy with school :( I haven't had the chance to get much pepping done but I have done a lot of planning! I'll be sure to get a progress update up sometime soon, probably tomorrow, and I'll cover all I can.

Thanks for sticking around!
-Poly

Progress Update - VIDEO! (11/3/11)

Ok, first I want to apologize for taking so long. I've been REALLY busy with school lately and have had a hard time finding the time and energy to post this update. BUT, this weekend I have nothing to do and it's wonderful! I'll be working on my suit all weekend :)

So, to get into the progress update...

I decided this time to do a video since I seem to write a lot in my updates and I just wanted to try it out. I recorded this video on November 3rd but haven't had the chance to upload it until now. Let me know what you guys think! Oh, and it is a 20 minute video and I don't expect you to watch all of it but I would appreciate it if you did! There's a lot of information in it, that's why its so long haha.

So, like I said in the end of the video, I'll highlight the important parts for you guys so you don't have to watch all 20 minutes of it. P.S. I learned how to use thumbnails!

Gloves:
-Sketches 1:06
So please, like I said in the video, contact me if you want to try to make these or if you want to use my template at all. I'm posting them here for you guys but all I ask is you let me know that you're using them. Just PM me or something. I could use some help in putting these together too so if anybody has any ideas, talk to me!
th_01c685ef.jpg
-Buttons 8:40 and 10:46
Alright, well since I recorded that video I took apart an old Xbox 360 controller and pulled these little guys out of it.
th_0a7f8d34.jpg
These are called Momentary Tactile Push-button Switches. These will go on the tip of my fingers as I show in the video. If you want more information on how to get them, I've done a lot of research about them and can definitely help you.
-Conductive Finger 9:36
Thread
Pin

Shin & Thigh
-Scaling 10:46
So like I said in the video, I scaled the thigh to 390mm high and the shin to 373mm high.
-Picture for Scaling 10:46
627px-Mark-VI.jpg

Here's the direct link to the picture. This picture was found on www.d6holocron.com

Plans for Communications:
I've still got a lot of planning to do and details to figure out for this portion but in a nutshell, here's my plan:
-Microphone 13:53
I'll be using a throat communicator as the microphone. Most likely this one.
-Headphone13:53
The throat communicator has a headphone connected to it so I MAY end up using that one. I still need to figure that part out.
-Torso speakers 13:53
In the video, I showed the locations of the speakers that will be put into the torso. When I push the button mounted on my middle finger, it will trigger a switch which allows me to speak into my TC and have it projected outward of the suit.
-Walkie-talkie 13:53
When I push the button on my ring finger, it will trigger a switch that will allow me to talk into the walkie-talkie. It would of course be voice activated so I don't have to push the button each time to talk. I will be able to hear the other end through the headphone.
-My phone
When I push the button on my pinky finger, it will trigger a switch that will allow me to talk into my phone. I can potentially use voice activation to answer/make phone calls and talk to "Iona" (Victor-101/Black Team's AI) and play music and all that good stuff. This is not for sure, it would be very complicated, but I am definitely going to try.

Neckseal: 17:01
So here is the template of Justinian 117's neckseal and a link to the specific point in his thread that I found it. To be honest, I don't quite know how to use it. I haven't looked into it much, but when I get to it I'll definitely get it figured out. Justinian 117, I hope you don't mind me posting this. If you would like me to remove it then I will gladly do so, just let me know.

So it turns out, after all that, the video took about as long as, if not longer than, just writing everything so it's up to you guys. Should I continue making videos and highlighting them or should I just stick to writing? The next videos probably wont be 20 minutes if I do them haha. I just want whatever you guys want!

I still haven't gotten the tester finished for the shin but I'm going to work on that right now, should be done in about two hours. Hopefully I'll get the right leg finished this weekend, I'm really falling behind :(

-Poly

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW why has no one commented on this ??? Great video! Lots of useful info! (and lol at the little grammar correction speech bubbles xD)

Im on the same boat as you with the glove things but I think I'm just goingto buy a pair of motocross or paintball gloves and then spray paint them a little and maybe make some other minor modifications. --But my thinking is that why do you need to put stuff on the top of the gloves when that area is covered by the hand plate? Idk, thats just my thinking.

The switch thing sounds really cool! I dont quite understand how it works, but it still sounds awesome.

I really want to put my iphone on my arm for my suit too! I figure ill just hand make a seperate attachment out of EVA foam once I'm done with my suit.

As far as scaling goes for the shin and thigh, the issues I've seen (and encountered myself) are that the normal mark vi shin gets super huge in the back, but im sure you already know that. Also the thighs are just a pain in the ass. >.< Its smart that you are doing testers though, im far to lazy for that and am running out of paper as is. I believe that my thighs were scaled at around 335 mm high? And I'm 5'9 -They are a little bit short but I think im sticking with them.

The speakers that you are putting in sound sweet. I have no idea how to do any of that as i am technically challenged. - I dont even know if i will figure out how to put lights in my suit. You should also hook the speakers up for music :p. Portable spartan speaker? win.

By the way, what pressure suit are you using? All of the six six ones i've seen are not at all the right color. And what is your idea (or longshot's) for pants?

sorry for all of the questions! Overall, a great video! Reaaally dont understand why more people arent replying to it, but I think that its a good way of conveying what youre ideas are and how your progress is going. I think i might make one myself when I get to resining my pieces. Good luck and cant I wait to see what you come up with next!
-Anna

Poly!

I really like your vid. Presented well and easily understandable. I love the bubble pop ups. Please continue with them. Definitly adds to the thread, but I also prefer to see them written... Easier to phrase read.

As for you "wanting more"... LOL... I can't agree with you more. :) :) :) I'm at various stages of adding more gadgets to mine too.

All of your ideas seem reasonable and achievable. Heck, you just solved my problem with my new gloves and iphone. :) Conductive Thread & Pins.

@Annanymous: The pants that I use are from here: http://www.xsportsprotective.com/crash-pads.html I use the 2200 Thermal padded pants.

Cheers!

Just found this thread courtesy of Annanymous' WIP thread. That first helmet looks pretty damn good, smooth, and I really liked how you packed everything in on the inside. You have some interesting ideas/plans for your suit and I definitely look forward to what you come up with. A couple other things I wanted to mention:

Boots...I'm really curious to see what you come up with there. I looked for those buckles as they too reminded me of ski boots or rollerblades or something but couldn't find anything useable for the boots I'd already made. The buckles I used for connecting that top piece to my heel ended up being too light duty so I made some quick black look-alikes from craft wood and velcroed them on to my boots.

Codpiece...Unless you're blessed with a torso with Master Chief's proportions I'd worry about how the front and back look with respect to the other pieces and then make up the difference in size on the waist with removeable/adjustable side pieces.

Shins...Another piece I'd like to redo of mine. My shins wouldn't fit past my heel without some separation of pieces. Someone mentioned a hinging rear bottom piece. I foolishly separated the shin from top to bottom and regret it. When I remake them I will likely do just as the guy mentioned previously and hinge that small portion and possibly use elastic to keep it closed.

I apologize if I repeated anything or wrote too much. However, I just got back from Halo Anniversary release in my suit and those three pieces are the same trouble pieces I was discussing with some of the folks I was in line with so I figure I'd throw in my three cents.

I'll have to admit I also found this by a promotion of Annanymous' post. I don't regret it at all! I think your build is very well thought out and you haven't rushed it so much to lose site of important details. Your helmet looks awesome and your continuous stream of input is very helpfull. I love the way you've come so far and I'll have your thread bookmarked!

Looking good. It's been a while since I've come to you're build page and needless to say, You've come a long ways into you're planning phase. Love the set up for you're build and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Progress Update - VIDEO! - 1 of 2 (1/22/12)

So this update was recorded on December 15th, 2011 so it doesn't quite cover ALL of my progress since then. I'm going to keep to my original idea of highlighting the important ideas but for now I'm going to concentrate on just this video and my progress up to that point just for sake of organization. Soon enough I'll get to posting a more recent update and you can all be caught up!

As always, all feedback and comments are welcome and encouraged :) Anyway, time for the new 20-minute update. Enjoy!

So now for the text to go along with it! I'll try to keep with the same style I had in the last update since that seemed to work pretty well.

NOTE: These updates are proving to take a lot more time than I would like. Because of that, I am not going to put as much detail into the text portion as you or I would like. Please know that these text updates are to accompany the video, not replace it. In most cases, there is much more information in the video so please don't forget that!

Recap:
So, here's a little recap on what I have done so far with regards to pepping:
-Boot - Build depth: 320 mm
The right boot is pepped but has gotten a little beat up. Nothing a little hot glue can't fix!
-Shin - Build height: 372 mm
The right shin looks great! It's all pepped and ready to go. Once I get the rest of the right leg finished I'll get started on the left.
-Thigh - Build height: 390-420 mm
The right thigh has proven to be somewhat difficult to get right so far. I made a few testers and even started an HD one but I had some issues with some of the pieces being the wrong size. I put it off for another time, you'll learn more in my next update!
-Cod Piece - Build width: 383 mm
The cod piece is done being pepped and fits great.

Replies:

-Annanymous 3:13
Post replied to: Post #55

-Longshot-x 6:29
Post replied to: Post #56

-Prettyfloralbonnet 7:39
Post replied to: Post #57

Gloves: 10:17
So the gloves have come somewhat of a long way since my last update. My grandfather has given me an old golfing glove that fits me perfectly and is exactly what I am looking for! Here are a few pictures of the glove before any modifications.
th_815b9f03.jpg th_432b3c6d.jpg
I used a thread ripper to take apart the glove and after a few hours I was left with the basic pattern of it. I'll talk more about it below and also post some pictures of what it looks like now.
I have also visited a few places around town and asked for help with this but nobody seems to have any experience making gloves here! Anyhow, on to the other things...

-The Buttons
So, I have made some pretty dandy little buttons that I am planning on putting inside the gloves. They are extremely simple to make and if anybody is interested in learning how I would be more than happy to make a tutorial! I may even be willing to part with some of the buttons that I have :) In other words, if you need any, let me know and we can figure something out.

-The Pattern
Well, I know I said in the video that I would post a pattern for all of you guys but it turns out it will be much more difficult to do due to the size of the glove. As always, if you ask I am willing to try to help but until then I'm not going to bother posting the pattern.
Here's a picture of the pattern now. The little orange thing in the corner is the thread ripper that I used.
th_0f6aed8f.jpg
Yea I know, it's pretty gross and dirty haha!

-The Material:
As for the material of the gloves, I have no idea what this material is but it seems to be some kind of synthetic leather. I've been to Joann Fabrics a few times and have done some searching for suitable fabric and the best that I have come up with is either a thin, stretchable synthetic leather, a nylon fabric, or "Sew Classic Suedecloth" from Joann's. Does anybody have any input as to what I should use?

School Projects: 13:25
So, as I talked about in the video, I have found a few ways to integrate parts of my suit into school projects. These projects are mostly the reason I've taken so long to post this update! Anyhow, the projects were the communication system and Magnum that I had talked about in my previous updates.

-Comm System: 13:42
For a project for one of my classes I decided to attempt to make the Communications System that I had talked about in previous updates. The point of the project was to make anything using an Arduino Uno Microprocessor. While I was working on this project I had contacted the Arduino team via e-mail and had asked them a few questions after describing in detail what I was trying to do. Since many people still don't fully understand the comm system, I figure I might as well post up the portion of that email describing it. Here it is:
"There will be one microphone which will pick up the users voice. The microphone will go into the Arduino and be directed to one of three places: two small speakers, a walkie-talkie, and an iPhone. If the voice is directed into the speakers, it is projected outward of the user, essentially acting as a PA system (this is only one-way, as in, there is no input from the other side). If the voice is directed through the walkie-talkie, the person on the other end will be able to hear what the user is saying. If the voice is projected through the iPhone, the user can talk on the phone and potentially talk to the phone using voice commands. So, the microphone will be one input into the Arduino that has three potential outputs. On the other hand, the user will also wear an earphone which will be one output from the Arduino that has only two potential inputs. Those two inputs would be from the person talking on the other end of the walkie-talkie and from the iPhone. The way that the user will determine where their voice will be directed and what they will hear is by pushing one of three tactile momentary push-buttons that are mounted on the tips of three fingers inside a glove that they will wear. The first button will direct their voice to the two speakers mounted on them. The audio from the walkie-talkie will also be active and be directed into the earpiece when it is in this state. The second button will direct their voice into the walkie-talkie (which will need to be push-to-talk) with the other person's voice being directed into the earphone. In order for the user to use the walkie-talkie they will push the button once, activating it, and push and hold the button each time they wish to talk into it. In order to deactivate it, they will push the button twice rapidly (this is not set in stone, just an idea). The third button will allow the user to use the iPhone, directing their voice from the microphone to the phone and the audio from the phone into the headset. If possible, if one device is active and the user pushes the button to activate a different device, the Arduino should deactivate the previous device and activate the desired one.
Also, if possible, I would like to be able to make this so that I can play music through the speakers and possibly talk through them at the same time. This isn't necessary but if I can make it happen I would like to try.

After thinking about this just now I have a different but similar idea. While the speakers are active and the user can speak into them freely, the audio from the walkie-talkie is simultaneously being transmitted into the earpiece. Rather than deactivating the speakers and then activating the walkie-talkie to speak into it, the user simply pushes and holds the second button to speak into the walkie and when the button is released their voice will be transmitted through the speakers again. The speakers and walkie-talkie can also function as described above and both be deactivated.
"

So it seems I've gone over the character limit for this post so I'll continue in the next one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back