WIP: FWBulldog's foam Mark VI build

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWBulldog

I know you're thinking "who is FWBulldog?". Total noob. This is my first post. Ok, I've lurked. I've read and re-read the stickies. I've searched, and googled. I'm ready to post (I think).

My 8 year old son loves Halo. So I'm building him the Mark VI suit. Mostly from foam, but with a pep'd helmet.

I bought the foam at Big Lots. It's one of those mats that people put under treadmills. It's slightly thinner than the anti-fatigue type mats people are buying at Harbor Freight, but that works because he's only 8 and not very big.

After reading through the entire Longshot-X thread I decided to buy the foam patterns from Gamemaster.

The Mark VI helmet pep file came from the wiki.

4ba2ba78.jpg

I sized it using Pepakura Designer at 270cm (yes, I've read the sizing tutorials). Here it is on my daughter. This is the first thing I've ever pep'd. I had very little warpage, so I'm happy with the result. Lot's of time spent reading stickies.

b4503238.jpg

Here is the base for a thigh plate:
e0b833e8.jpg

The gauntlets, along with the paper mock-up:
54e318d4.jpg

A test-fit of the shoulders, gauntlet and thigh:
18d43386.jpg

The base for the chest is done:
42ce4e08.jpg

Still very much a work-in-progress. Lots of detaling to do. Helmet is resin'd, rondo'd, and the first coats of bondo are on. Since this is my first pep and bondo piece, I'm not going to go all out crazy to get it smooth. More WIP pictures to come.

A big thank you to Gamemaster for the patterns, Longshot-X for the inspiration, and the 405th for providing such a great resource. I think I'll be done in time for Halloween.

Helmet update pics

First coat of primer, and visor fit test:
helmet.jpg

One coat of Krylon flat black. It was at this stage that I realized the importance of washing down the helmet after sanding. I had just blown it off with compressed air, and wiped it down with some paper towels. Not good enough. There was still a lot of dust and oil on the primer, and the flat black didn't adhere. I had to sand almost all of off again.
fd636478.jpg

I masked off some black areas, and shot it with Krylon Global Blue:
918f9163.jpg

I used some metallic silver paint to simulate scratch marks:
b36ba0b8.jpg

Love the detail. I've been beating my self over the head recently trying to figure out if I want to go the foam or pep route for my mk VI build. But you've clearly shown that a great amount of detail can be achieved with foam. So, that settles it for me at least. Love the suit and hope your son does too. Awesome work!!!

Nice work FWbulldog. Clean and sharp edges. Seams appear to be well joined/hidden. You have some excellent foaming skills.
I'd bet that your son is going to have the best looking HALOween costume around.

Is that an LED that I spy in the forearm?

Can't wait to see more progress pics.

Cheers!

Nice work FWbulldog. Clean and sharp edges. Seams appear to be well joined/hidden. You have some excellent foaming skills.
I'd bet that your son is going to have the best looking HALOween costume around.

Is that an LED that I spy in the forearm?

Can't wait to see more progress pics.

Cheers!

Thanks! High praise, considering the source. Yep, LEDs in the forearms. I just thought the way you did it was cool. I'm trying to wow an 8yo here, so the more LEDs the better!

I've put in almost a month worth of work, and all he's concerned about is the rifle. How funny is that? I have a plan for that, though. More pics tomorrow. I'm beat.

Two questions:
1. Did you say you bought your foam from Big Lots?
2. If so, is it thinner than the usual foam mat?

I'm pretty sure you mentioned it earlier. I just want to be clear because I would love to be working with a thinner foam. Appreciate the help and again, awesome build!

Thanks! High praise, considering the source. Yep, LEDs in the forearms. I just thought the way you did it was cool. I'm trying to wow an 8yo here, so the more LEDs the better!

I've put in almost a month worth of work, and all he's concerned about is the rifle. How funny is that? I have a plan for that, though. More pics tomorrow. I'm beat.

Trying to wow an 8yo... I'd say your doing more than that. Your work is wow'ing me too!

Ahhh the rifle... not suprising! I see many builds started and then put on hold, as the crafter decides to do the weapon 1st. Blam blam blam! I know the feeling behind it.

:)

Two questions:
1. Did you say you bought your foam from Big Lots?
2. If so, is it thinner than the usual foam mat?

I'm pretty sure you mentioned it earlier. I just want to be clear because I would love to be working with a thinner foam. Appreciate the help and again, awesome build!

Yes. They had two types. The long roll that's 60"x 48", and the 2'x2' mats that lock together. The big roll is thinner by at least 1mm, which makes shaping esaier. On the other hand, it's not as structurally dense. Tradeoffs.

BTW, best stuff for the treadmill foam is Loctite Profesional Super Glue:
u%3D358053%26size%3D2%26NewSize%3D300%26Warehouse%3Dc&d=692accd4a8b6a5adff8ddd058da81ba6e3d4c0e3.jpg

Trying to wow an 8yo... I'd say your doing more than that. Your work is wow'ing me too!

Ahhh the rifle... not suprising! I see many builds started and then put on hold, as the crafter decides to do the weapon 1st. Blam blam blam! I know the feeling behind it.

:)

I found an AirZone QuickFire at ToyRUs. Should be pretty straightforward to disassemble, sand, and paint with Krylon Fusion. It has a removable front "barrell" that is a large enough diameter to accept a broom handle, or PVC pipe (or something similar to extend the length). More on that later.

Here are some quick update shots:

First coat of Global Blue. Still needs weathering and dry-brushing for metal effects.

fffd4e5a.jpg

Here are the shins (unpainted). I think I may have to redo them. I sized them at 75% of GameMaster's pattern, and they're pretty small. They only take about an hour each to stencil/cut/glue. Might be worth redoing them. Have to test fit when the boy gets home from school.

38d9927d.jpg

You have some really nice foam work going here, along with the amount of detail I'd say it's going to be a great looking suit when finished. Thanks for sharing this build with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back